DOOM Eternal - Official

Well, I didn't enjoy it. Played for an hour and a half, did not enjoy it. I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I don't like the chainsaw mechanic one single bit.

Ouch.

Doom Eternal Is a Dizzying Catastrophe

Killing demons is still wickedly fun, an orgy of cathartic violence. But without the smart design of the original, it blurs together into an indistinct sort of thrill, like riding a bunch of roller coasters in a row until you can't really tell one apart from another. Doom was a smart, focused take on over-the-top, busy action. Doom Eternal is that same game, with its successes pulled so taut that they're starting to tear. And when the game tells you to rip and tear, I don't think that's quite what it is trying to say.

https://www.wired.com/story/doom-eternal-review/

Not posting this at you Kyle. This is my response to Wired:

You Wired Nut Jobs must be crrr aa zy!

1584771369849.png

I am having fun, getting a little tired of jumping and climbing walls (Tomb Raider did that aspect way better), no problem with ammo, dig the sound track, art and visuals are awesome. As I play, the game is getting better and better, first level was just too limiting and too many pop ups.

I wanted to get this game, I got the collector's edition of the 2016 Doom. But they increased the price by a good 70% ($120 to $200) and forced the game to Bethesda launcher if you bought a physical version, I just couldn't do it. If I'm just going to buy direct from Steam, I'll be waiting for a sale.

That aside, game looks pretty good - more of the same for the most part, but I liked the 2016 game quite a bit.

Well, I didn't enjoy it. Played for an hour and a half, did not enjoy it. I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I don't like the chainsaw mechanic one single bit.
You mean the one left over from 2016? I mostly agree with your conclusion, but to elaborate a bit I think the game is to busy for it's own good.

First DOOM game I did not buy at release.

Why not? I'm trying to hold out for the RT/DLSS patch at least, but these reviews are making me want to go ahead and play it. But I also have a backlog of games I'm currently working on right now (playing the entire Metro series at the moment and also about to finally beat BoTW) too. If I somehow see it on sale for < $50 though anytime soon, I'm sure I'll bite on it. I'm also looking to play RE3 as well and I can't remember the last time I've spent $100+ on games so close together, hah.

You mean the one left over from 2016? I mostly agree with your conclusion, but to elaborate a bit I think the game is to busy for it's own good.

I just really didn't like the arachnotrons dropping in all the time. Seemed literally "clear room, arachnotrons" "clear next room, arachnotrons". I also feel that melee attack should have done a lot more for you... it actually feels completely useless. As big as DoomGuy is, he should be able to knock the skull clean off the shoulders of a zombie.
It just feels a little too twitch-needed. It's way too easy to run out of ammo and no fuel for the chainsaw, and you end up fucked. I played on Hurt Me Plenty.

I just really didn't like the arachnotrons dropping in all the time. Seemed literally "clear room, arachnotrons" "clear next room, arachnotrons". I also feel that melee attack should have done a lot more for you... it actually feels completely useless. As big as DoomGuy is, he should be able to knock the skull clean off the shoulders of a zombie.
It just feels a little too twitch-needed. It's way too easy to run out of ammo and no fuel for the chainsaw, and you end up fucked. I played on Hurt Me Plenty.

Agreed. I was running out of ammo so fast it wasn't funny. Melee/Hand-to-hand was weak and I found myself slamming the shit out of my keys so much, my fingertips were hurting. Not even an hour of gameplay and I got buyer's remorse. Another game added to the 'Why did I waste money on this shit?" list.

Agreed. I was running out of ammo so fast it wasn't funny. Melee/Hand-to-hand was weak and I found myself slamming the shit out of my keys so much, my fingertips were hurting. Not even an hour of gameplay and I got buyer's remorse. Another game added to the 'Why did I waste money on this shit?" list.

This is exactly my feeling, minus the last statement. I think I've just grown away from FPS games. Destiny 2 is as fast paced as I like now.

Combat: still super fun. The few different tricks they gave you make it really wild and frenetic. When you're using them all, it really feels like your this mythical slayer.
Engine: Smoooooth rock-solid performance, super tight controls. Feels great to play.

Ammo: running out, constantly, detracts. I know they do this on purpose to force switching and scrounging. They went a little too far IMO.
Mario: Please stop putting required platformer sequences in the main path. I am totally fine with that as a way to have secrets, bonuses. But PLEASE don't make me do some tedious jumping puzzle on the shortest-path campaign.

Enjoying it, but some of the changes are not positives IMO.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority that likes ammo being more scarce but it's something I enjoy in all games, especially in Deux Ex series the ammo management (especially the 1st one) makes it more fun. In other games like Far Cry series I think the ammo capacity is way over-the-top so I tend to never upgrade ammo capacity.

While DOOM isn't the first FPS where ammo management makes sense I still think it's done in a way that works alright though. Ideally we could have a difficulty lvl option or gameplay modifier for those who wants just to shoot demons without worrying about ever running out of ammo.

Combat: still super fun. The few different tricks they gave you make it really wild and frenetic. When you're using them all, it really feels like your this mythical slayer.
Engine: Smoooooth rock-solid performance, super tight controls. Feels great to play.

Ammo: running out, constantly, detracts. I know they do this on purpose to force switching and scrounging. They went a little too far IMO.
Mario: Please stop putting required platformer sequences in the main path. I am totally fine with that as a way to have secrets, bonuses. But PLEASE don't make me do some tedious jumping puzzle on the shortest-path campaign.

Enjoying it, but some of the changes are not positives IMO.

They over-designed the shit out of this game and now it just feels too "mechanical".
The tutorial overload for everything sure didn't help - if you need that many tutorials to explain all the gimmicks it's too much IMO.

They over-designed the shit out of this game and now it just feels too "mechanical".
The tutorial overload for everything sure didn't help - if you need that many tutorials to explain all the gimmicks it's too much IMO.

Doom: Too Much

I think they were surprised how much people loved Doom 2016. "Oh, you like this? Here's 1000 tons of the same."

It just feels forced. It felt somewhat forced back at QuakeCon 2018 but what they showed at QC 2019 was very discouraging. Forced, complicated, overdone. Exactly the same thing happened to Shadow Warrior 2.

I am yet to buy it, waiting for denuvo removal because I want to play it on Linux.

I like what they've done to the movement (love the dash) and the platforming looks very cool too.

i think thats my problem with it, and what i was afraid of from the beginning. doom 2016 felt naturally over the top, and it was good because of that. with eternal though you can tell they deliberately tried to turn it up to 12, and the game suffered because of it. and its too busy, they added in way too many mechanics. and the platforming..... if they could have "naturally" added in the platforming id be fine with it. but the very obvious platforming sections that were added in are completely unneeded.

looks great and runs great though, and it hits my 3950x surprisingly hard.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority that likes ammo being more scarce but it's something I enjoy in all games, especially in Deux Ex series the ammo management (especially the 1st one) makes it more fun. In other games like Far Cry series I think the ammo capacity is way over-the-top so I tend to never upgrade ammo capacity.

While DOOM isn't the first FPS where ammo management makes sense I still think it's done in a way that works alright though. Ideally we could have a difficulty lvl option or gameplay modifier for those who wants just to shoot demons without worrying about ever running out of ammo.

IDKFA

I will definitely get the steam version soon. I have other more important monetary transactions that must be taken first.

I bought it, but I found out the performance is really slow on Linux.

Might have to play all the original DOOMs in the meantime, hopefully there will be a Proton patch by then.

We're all going to get ptsd.
Yeah, I think its impressive, but not the right time for me anyway. I love me some Doom, Twelve Monkeis, etc action, but got a family member in the ER awaiting test results while I'm in quarantine due to a coworker testing positive, so I want to be immersed in a sterile happy place if escaping reality for a bit and not giving myself PTSD. Killing time by doing massive spring cleaning and watching Land of the Lustrous anime (sterile living gems in some Buddhist inspired universe). I heard the same thing that during peace and prosperity horror and war movies are popular, but during wartime people want comedies and other feelgood light stuff. Wonder if this will affect sales accordingly just on the timing of it all.

They do a great job of making you feel like a demi-god of sorts. You're incredibly deadly - the fluff bits about the demons fearing you would seem to hold up. You tear through their ranks, literally.
And yet, you are absolutely not invincible at all. Your power comes from your play, not being a bullet sponge. Your aggression is what makes you win (as the lore says it should).

That's a difficult balancing act to pull off. Quite fun IMO. This will be my go-to "I've had a bad day, and want to break things" salve for a while.

Played for about an hour last night and had tons of fun, loving the super fast paced gameplay and mechanics. Its also super noticeable for me that im playing on my 144hz screen, other games like destiny 2 you "feel" it but doom eternal with how fast everything is makes you notice it alot. Was bouncing between 115fps and 144fps on my gtx 1080 @ 1440p with it set to High so I'm happy with performance, looking forward to having more time this weekend to play (I still get the pleasure of going into my office everyday lol)

Pains me to say this since Doom tempted me into PC gaming, but I'm too old for this super fast twitch style. I've been watching videos posted of gameplay and it looks amazing. I'm happy others can enjoy it, just wish I could myself, very jealous of all who can slay demons eternally!

Pains me to say this since Doom tempted me into PC gaming, but I'm too old for this super fast twitch style. I've been watching videos posted of gameplay and it looks amazing. I'm happy others can enjoy it, just wish I could myself, very jealous of all who can slay demons eternally!
I feel ya. I love it but I had to tone down the difficulty. I can't keep up with that shit anymore either.

I feel ya. I love it but I had to tone down the difficulty. I can't keep up with that shit anymore either.

Like Vegeta said, I turned the difficulty to second easiest (Hurt me plenty?) and it was alot better. It looks faster and harder paced in youtube than it does when playing, I had the same reservations after watching some youtube that my mid 30's ass doesn't have the reflexes for this style of game anymore but actually playing the game it isn't nearly as bad as it looked.

Worst case scenario buy it off steam, try it out and refund if the game is to much for you. Think steam gives you 2 hours of play time to try a game and refund if you dont like it.

Well if your old, I'm 60, you need to push yourself to keep that sharpness, fast thinking, reaction. Perfect game for it. Loving the game and motivated by some of the younglings play videos, if some of those were shown 20 years ago we would had early heart attacks. Like most things practice does make perfect even when older. I just need a hell alot more practice.

I am playing on hurt me plenty, but did a couple times drop it to the lowest for a couple serious cluster-frank fights. 20 years ago, I could probably push it up a level, and I suspect I can on subsequent play-throughs as well.

<shrug> Do what is fun, and allows you to not be too frustrated. I'm not trying to be a l337 streamer, just have some fun.

They do a great job of making you feel like a demi-god of sorts. You're incredibly deadly - the fluff bits about the demons fearing you would seem to hold up. You tear through their ranks, literally.
And yet, you are absolutely not invincible at all. Your power comes from your play, not being a bullet sponge. Your aggression is what makes you win (as the lore says it should).

That's a difficult balancing act to pull off. Quite fun IMO. This will be my go-to "I've had a bad day, and want to break things" salve for a while.

Yeah, I remember Doom's gameplay loop being referred to as "push forward combat."

Also the game is just legit hard. Sometimes you get hit by sheer horse shit at the high difficulties. On Ultra Violence I've rounded a corner into near instant death a few times - like full health to dead in 1-2 seconds. Practically nothing you could do if you didn't know it was coming. It's a little ridiculous sometimes.

The other night I had the same fucking Cacodemon kill me twice in 1 hit. It got next to me while I was fighting. CHOMP -> DEAD -> 1-up respawn 3 inches away -> CHOMP -> DEAD. Literally full health to dead in 1 hit. Didn't even have a chance to move.

Ja, I don't understand why people are offended by suggesting that they turn down the difficulty every time a post pops up complaining that the game is too hard. Seems like it's always Ultra Violence or nothing.

Ja, I don't understand why people are offended by suggesting that they turn down the difficulty every time a post pops up complaining that the game is too hard. Seems like it's always Ultra Violence or nothing.
I don't care anymore, if it's single-player its baby mode for me. If its multiplayer then do your worst.

Back