Dontcha hate it when...

notarat

2[H]4U
ya need a cable, and you know you have 3 of them (or more), but you can't find a single, damn one because you have so much computer shit that it looks like Newegg's warehouse exploded in your room?

Here I am trying to get my 6970 installed and it turns out Tiger Direct sent me a Mini-DP to HDMI connector instead of a MiniDP-DP adapter...so...I think to myself, "No problemo, dude! I'll just grab one of the HDMI cables that shipped with my Dell U2410s! GENIUS!"

After 3 hours and 42 (yes. I said 42) boxes of computer shit dumped out and strewn about, I have yet to locate the damn HDMI cables.

I'm not even sure where the 6970 is at now because it's buried under so much shit

I went through this a few weeks ago, also looking for a HDMI cable that I knew i had somewhere.

I ended up having to purchase one from monoprice, but still wonder where that cable could be! :p

You should take a pic of the current mess and post it. :)

I lose cables all the time. It bugs the crap out of me. No sooner does the new one arrive I find the one I was looking for.

Wow dude, don't worry I'm sure it'll turn up... Hours or days after you give up and buy a new one. LOL That;s always what happens to me :D

Just a few minutes ago, I counted a total of 181 Power Cords

I need to melt those fukkas down and sell the copper, LOL

Last edited:
I haaaate when I have to dig through my random cable box. Even if i try to tidy them, they all get tangled again.

Just reading this thread I'm getting mad thinking about all the times this has happened to me! :mad::mad::mad:

Where do you store all of these boxes??? In your garage? Perfhap you need to start sorting them out.

Just reminds me i need to clean out all my crap too,basement is full of crates and bins, jars, boxes..And it is always the last box you check that the part or cable you need is in..LMAO

Actually I keep everything I need in pretty organized stacking shelves, the trick is always put stuff back were it's SUPPOSED to go. But yeah, I loose stuff all the time, buy it again and then have a backup.;)

Where do you store all of these boxes??? In your garage? Perfhap you need to start sorting them out.

I have a drawer in my desk that is basically one big ball of cables. No idea how it formed a ball since I just put the cables in NOT wrapped around the others, but somehow invariably (I blame gnomes, step 1: tie cables step 2: ???? step 3 Profit) every cable in my house winds around itself in a knot over time.

I have a whole room dedicated to this...it's known as the spare bedroom, usually stuff that goes in either never comes back out, or is never found again!

Sorry, I am too organized. :)

I do have about 10 boxes of random cables/connectors/electronics though.

I do hate when I have everything, but the part I need. The good stuff you need usually gets used up and the rest just sits in a box as useless junk. If I have more than 2 sitting in a box I've started throwing parts away.

I haaaate when I have to dig through my random cable box. Even if i try to tidy them, they all get tangled again.

I use bags for all my cables.

A buddy of mine had a power supply die on him. The only other one he had didn't have any SATA power connectors for his two SATA hard drives. So I told him I had two of them somewhere he could have. I managed to find both of them, albeit at different ends of my house, and put them in my desk drawer until he can come get them.

The day he comes to get them only one is in my drawer, and the other is nowhere to be found. He ends up going home with just the one, but won't be able to listen to his music or play any of his games since that's all on the second drive.

Wouldn't you know the second adapter shows up the same day he tells me he ordered a new power supply... and it was in my desk drawer.

ya need a cable, and you know you have 3 of them (or more), but you can't find a single, damn one because you have so much computer shit that it looks like Newegg's warehouse exploded in your room?

Here I am trying to get my 6970 installed and it turns out Tiger Direct sent me a Mini-DP to HDMI connector instead of a MiniDP-DP adapter...so...I think to myself, "No problemo, dude! I'll just grab one of the HDMI cables that shipped with my Dell U2410s! GENIUS!"

After 3 hours and 42 (yes. I said 42) boxes of computer shit dumped out and strewn about, I have yet to locate the damn HDMI cables.

I'm not even sure where the 6970 is at now because it's buried under so much shit

haha, that is why I sometimes end up with 4 (end up buying another)

(and as for how I know I have more than just the new one? the rest turn up as soon as I thrown out the return receipt!)

Last edited:
I have a drawer in my desk that is basically one big ball of cables. No idea how it formed a ball since I just put the cables in NOT wrapped around the others, but somehow invariably (I blame gnomes, step 1: tie cables step 2: ???? step 3 Profit) every cable in my house winds around itself in a knot over time.

Yes, that is another one!

I swear that I have gently tossed down cables, straight out, and yet the next morning when I go to use them they have knots in them that even old school fisherman have never seen before!

I was once at physics conference and someone joked that this was the greatest unsolved problem in all of theoretical physics hah.

Just a few minutes ago, I counted a total of 181 Power Cords

I need to melt those fukkas down and sell the copper, LOL

damn dude 181

now that is something

and with the price of copper these days you may literally have yourself there a 580 SLI or 6970 CF there hah

melt it!

Yeah this has happened to me too; now I just leave one end of the cable plugged into something like a TV for HDMI and just pull it out if i ever need it.

Call me OCD but all of my cables are organized neatly. The time you save to sort them out, the less stress in the future :)

Yea I did that 3 times in a month.. Then I ordered a half dozen 6' HDMI cables from newegg & have them strewn about so I cant go through shit without finding one.. Well atleast that was the case. I am down to 1 backup now.

I just threw out two large industrial garbage bags of computer cables and old accessories. Stop being tech hoarders guys. How many 3 pin power cables do you REALLY need?

Before I was married I remember having BINS of random computer stuff. Now after marriage I have 2 small shoe boxes, the wife says I can put anything extra in there. If it does not fit throw it away. So when I am looking for a cable and it's not in my 2 small shoe boxes time to order one. Keeping them in a shoe box, helps a-lot because I tend to wrap them tightly so I can have as much room possible to store things inside.

Last edited:
Before I was married I remember having BINS of random computer stuff. Now after marriage I have 2 small show boxes, the wife says I can put anything extra in there. If it does not fit throw it away. So when I am looking for a cable and it's not in my 2 small show box time to order one. Keeping them in a show box, helps a-lot because I tend to wrap them tightly so I can have as much room possible to store things inside.

Two questions come to mind,

1. What's a "show box"?

2. Where does your wife keep your balls? I'd try and get them back. :D

Before I was married I remember having BINS of random computer stuff. Now after marriage I have 2 small show boxes, the wife says I can put anything extra in there. If it does not fit throw it away. So when I am looking for a cable and it's not in my 2 small show box time to order one. Keeping them in a show box, helps a-lot because I tend to wrap them tightly so I can have as much room possible to store things inside.

My wife knows better than to tell ME what to do with anything related to computers or technology in the house. If she wants a working laptop.....

To the OP, I am right there with you. I have two large boxes of random cable spaghetti.

I just threw out two large industrial garbage bags of computer cables and old accessories. Stop being tech hoarders guys. How many 3 pin power cables do you REALLY need?

Evidently, 79 according to my latest count. j/k

Two questions come to mind,

1. What's a "show box"?

Sorry meant Shoe Box, I had a late night again playing WoW with my buddies.

2. Where does your wife keep your balls? I'd try and get them back. :D

Well in a marriage we both got to give to make things works. She has dinner for me when I get home from work, she has a my clothes washed and iron, packs my suite case when I travel, makes my morning coffee every morning when I drive to the office, and did not complaint at all when I spend 2.5k on my last computer build. I believe my balls are on the right place. I just have to also meet her needs.

Last edited:
Damn people, throw shit away :eek:

I have somewhere around 15 devices in my house that are internet connected, I fix friend/family computers, and all of my spare cables fit in a plastic box designed to hold file folders. It helps a ton if you keep the cables neatly wound, use cheap zip ties or these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Velcro-Re...1-2-x-8-Long-Black-100-Ties-per-Pack/15651084

Going through the cable box is easy and stuff never gets tangled up with other cables.

Last edited:
Well in a marriage we both got to give to make things works. She has dinner for me when I get home from work, she has a my clothes washed and iron, packs my suite case when I travel, makes my morning coffee every morning when I drive to the office, and did not complaint at all when I spend 2.5k on my last computer build. I believe my balls are on the right place. I just have to also meet her needs.

^^ I would throw away all my extra shit if my wife would just cook for me every day.. I Would say this guy has the racket figured out & is playing it well.

Just reminds me i need to clean out all my crap too,basement is full of crates and bins, jars, boxes..And it is always the last box you check that the part or cable you need is in..LMAO

Why wouldn't it be in the last box you checked? Aren't things always in the last place you check?

Do you go "Oh look, here it is" and then keep searching?

Back