Don't Talk to Aliens

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
Stephen Hawking believes there are aliens . He also believes these aliens are very likely to be nomadic and will raid our planet for resources. I think what Dr. Hawking is trying to say is that our first encounter will not be like Star Trek with the Vulcans, but like Stargate and the evil Goa’uld. Kree!
”I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”

Independence%20Day.jpg

At least in human history, the more intelligent and advanced civilizations have become, the less likely they are to use violence to solve problems. If alien life exist there would be violent species but I believe there would be many more non-violent species.

Stephen Hawking is a genius but not even he is smart enough to the intent of extraterrestrial beings. And if they have big enough rays guns its not like we could stop them.

At least in human history, the more intelligent and advanced civilizations have become, the less likely they are to use violence to solve problems. If alien life exist there would be violent species but I believe there would be many more non-violent species.

You're probably right. If really intelligent, they could just setup mining facilities in certain key areas as they could give us a treaty offer we couldn't refuse. Plus, they probably would want to study us rather than exterminate us. Hopefully not too many human lab rat experiments. If the Western countries found inferior but intelligent life. We wouldn't just kill them off now.

but yeah... Stephen is playing too many video games or watching too many movies. :p

Exactly just look at today's world. There is no more violence in the world like there was years ago. Isn't it great to live in a world where there is only peace.... oh wait that isn't right.

Over time as civilizations advance so do their weapons.

But what would be resources to them? Moons of Saturn? Ort Cloud? Gas Giants. Who know they may already be out there raping the moons of Saturn or poor Charon (see Pluto).

We are in the baby steps for Science and such.

DM

As a history guy, I disagree. Did you not study history? The U.S. Civil War was one of the bloodiest conflicts ever, and that was only ~150 years ago. Humans were also good at killing each other during WWI&WWII...poison gas...firebombing whole cities...nukes...

We may use it less often than say the Greeks did, but the scale just gets bigger to compensate.

But what would be resources to them? Moons of Saturn? Ort Cloud? Gas Giants. Who know they may already be out there raping the moons of Saturn or poor Charon (see Pluto).

We are in the baby steps for Science and such.

DM

It's difficult to imagine why exactly aliens would decide to raid our planet's resources indeed, but note that things like heavier elements and metals will not exist on the gas giants, but will exist on smaller terrestrial planets.

I think what hawking is implying is that our planet is not only a heavy-elements containing planet, but also one that is populated with an intelligent species capable of slave labor, thus being ideal for an alien race to exploit. Why only put down your mining equipment on a moon or Mars when you can enslave an entire planet to mine AND mine another planet at the same time?

As a history guy, I disagree. Did you not study history? The U.S. Civil War was one of the bloodiest conflicts ever, and that was only ~150 years ago. Humans were also good at killing each other during WWI&WWII...poison gas...firebombing whole cities...nukes...

We may use it less often than say the Greeks did, but the scale just gets bigger to compensate.

Getting more advanced weaponry doesn't have anything to do with modern cultures attempting diplomacy first.

If you think about it, I'm sure he has, there isn't one single resource we have on this planet that some alien species couldn't find in more abundance and easier than possibly having to fight some savage monkeys to get it. EXCEPT BIOLOGICAL MATERIAL!!:eek:

You'd think someone like Hawking would have a more optimistic attitude. Comparing a culture capable of intergalactic travel to the one that existed in Columbus's day is a big stretch. It seems a little vain to judge how other races would act by using our own history.

I dunno... maybe being a pet isn't such a bad thing. :p

Word. I can't wait for that tentacled heavy petting.

Actually, this is a pretty cool speculation from Stephen. Although his writing is pretty dry, he does have a pretty good imagination -- I'd love to see him put together some sort of science fiction TV show premise. There's so much crap SciFi out there.

We are screwed if the alien life wants all our coal and oil and natural gas…Doubt they will want to pay the taxes:rolleyes:

(Think of how we treat cockroaches)
(Think how insignificant we are relative to just Earth itself)
(Think of how close we are to cockroaches ultimately)

yep, we'd be squashed like bugs.

Getting more advanced weaponry doesn't have anything to do with modern cultures attempting diplomacy first.

yeah, all those sucide bombers try to talk things about before bombing an area.

Or those thugs that rob and kill people, they first try to politely ask for the person's money and stuff and only get mad after they are told no.

:rolleyes:

I would agree with hawking.. the universe is mostly hostile, so the logical assumption would be that aliens would be hostile as well... even our planet has always been about survival of the fittest.. and we humans continue to dominate AND EAT everything else on this planet.. no reason there aren't bigger fish in the pond to come along and gobble us up.. :)

Aliens wouldn't come here for resources. We've used up too much of it to be of any significant to them. If aliens were advanced enough to come to our solar system you can probably count on their ability to extract pure methane with near endlesz quanities on planets such as Saturn and beyond. Our planet is but a speck in the whole scheme of energy-rich universe.

If aliens visit us, it would be because they're curious, and maybe happy to see another planet filled with living creatures, which, as far as we know, is infinitely rare in our galaxy, let alone the universe

Yeah. I expected more from Hawking than the plot to Independence Day.

If you can hop from star system to star system in your world ship that contains the totality of your civilization then resources will not be an issue. You could roll up to Sol, pillage the natural resources that's not Earth (IE: the vast majority of the systems stuff) and not miss the remainder. Then we'd get out there and go "WTF happened to our loot? Fucking ET." And be stuck here. ET gets the bulk of our stuff, never faces a Macbook or a nuke and we're trapped here, never to be a threat to anyone ever.

If you think about it, I'm sure he has, there isn't one single resource we have on this planet that some alien species couldn't find in more abundance and easier than possibly having to fight some savage monkeys to get it. EXCEPT BIOLOGICAL MATERIAL!!:eek:

This is true. I never really thought of it that way.

Unless of course its Al Bundy's used socks.:D

Yes it does. Many nations only go the diplomatic route only because other nations have enough advanced weaponry to fight back. Iraq is a case in point, Bush would have been more diplomatic (and probably would have avoided invading) if Iraq's weaponry weren't 20 years behind the U.S.

Back