Donate To A Great Cause!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Four college students, one of which is my son Sebastian, are taking donations on GoFundMe to build computers for people in need. Not only is this a fantastic cause, it is an inexpensive way to for all of us to work together to help our fellow man. In addition to getting a warm fuzzy feeling, your donation also gives you direct input on who receives the computers built for this project.

That rack in the background has some pretty high-end stuff on it.

I wish I was in-need.:D

Will throw in some cash later today.

Goal $10k, hope to build 10 computers.

Pretty nice computers for those in need. I'm sure it's a good cause and all, but that number needs to be north of 20 PCs to even get it in the realm of a bulk Dell purchase.

Goal $10k, hope to build 10 computers.

Pretty nice computers for those in need. I'm sure it's a good cause and all, but that number needs to be north of 20 PCs to even get it in the realm of a bulk Dell purchase.

From the GoFundMe:

With GoFundMe, if I set a goal of $10,000 to build twenty computers but only raise $5,000, I still have the funding to build at least half the amount of computers. If I only raise $1,000 I can at least build a couple budget systems.

The idea is to not only help those in need but to inspire other kids his age to do something like this in their community as well. :)

Steve,
The idea is noble, but I don't quite understand the intended use of these gifts. Is the idea to give them a budget gaming rig, or a simpler system to do homework, read the news, possibly video streaming? For all purposes besides gaming it seems something as basic as a $169 Chromebook would do just fine. Sometimes people in unfortunate situations really do just need something nice in their home to improve morale, and I get that. However, if that's the intention maybe it should be more visible on the page.

All that being said, it's really nice that your son wants to carry on the tradition. I'm sure you're proud.

From the GoFundMe:

The idea is to not only help those in need but to inspire other kids his age to do something like this in their community as well. :)

I strongly urge him to better flesh out all of the vocabulary in the page. The goal clearly shows $10k with a "What" of "at least" 10 computers. then in the "Why GoFundMe" an *IF* and the word *budget*. THen if you add up all of the costs in the transparency section "10 sets" of everything comes out to $8300.

This just reads to me. "Hey, building high end gaming PCs to give to people who might need them." No specs of what constitutes "$2000" for 10 processors.

I'd love to donate, but it's just not well planned out for me at this point.

Agreed. I've been lead over similar projects when I was younger and whenever I took it to sponsors or anything else to get funding, you better believe I had itemized lists with very specific details. I'm not saying you need to have every penny accounted for before you begin but when I see "$2000 for 10 processors" all I'm thinking is, shit, wouldn't mind a new $200 processor for myself right now.

For example I recently rebuilt a secondary machine for myself using an i3-4160 and bundled mATX motherboard for ~$150; that's half the $300 ($200 CPU + $100 motherboard) suggested on the donation page and yet it's a very capable machine. More specifics on where the money is going would be nice.

Steve,
The idea is noble, but I don't quite understand the intended use of these gifts. Is the idea to give them a budget gaming rig, or a simpler system to do homework, read the news, possibly video streaming? For all purposes besides gaming it seems something as basic as a $169 Chromebook would do just fine. Sometimes people in unfortunate situations really do just need something nice in their home to improve morale, and I get that. However, if that's the intention maybe it should be more visible on the page.

All that being said, it's really nice that your son wants to carry on the tradition. I'm sure you're proud.

I strongly urge him to better flesh out all of the vocabulary in the page. The goal clearly shows $10k with a "What" of "at least" 10 computers. then in the "Why GoFundMe" an *IF* and the word *budget*. THen if you add up all of the costs in the transparency section "10 sets" of everything comes out to $8300.

This just reads to me. "Hey, building high end gaming PCs to give to people who might need them." No specs of what constitutes "$2000" for 10 processors.

Everything depends on the funding, if he reaches his goal, they can build as many PCs as possible in various grades. Not all PCs will be

Thanks for the input, I will have him clarify the GoFundMe page.

Under the transparency portion, that is a SAMPLE list showing how he will document how the money was spent.

The PC builds will depend on funding. If they can raise the entire amount, they can build 20 decent PCs (nothing high end but will serve almost any purpose). If they don't make their goal, they can make a decent PC and a few budget systems. If it totally bombs, hopefully they can make a budget system or two so they can help as many people as possible.

Again, I apprecite the feedback, I'll have him update the GoFundMe

It's a great initiative but I see this flaw:

-Ten video cards = $2,000

Are these going to be gaming computers? Because the onboard video cards is good enough for every day tasks and light gaming. That $2,000 could be used to build more computers.

I think you could build 15 Intel NUCs with 10k and those are pretty damn good machines.

Agreed. I've been lead over similar projects when I was younger and whenever I took it to sponsors or anything else to get funding, you better believe I had itemized lists with very specific details.

Are these going to be gaming computers? Because the onboard video cards is good enough for every day tasks and light gaming. That $2,000 could be used to build more computers.

Thanks guys. It is obvious (now) that the wording in the campaign needs to be changed because people are reading it like it is an actual list:

A list like the example below will be posted here for all to see:

Ten processors = $2,000
Ten motherboards = $1,000
Ten video cards = $2,000
Ten sets of memory = $500
Ten Power Supplies = $750
Ten hard drives and SSDs = $1,500
Ten CPU Coolers = $350
Ten DVD Drives = $200

It was a sample list with sample components listed. It has been changed to an image without "ten" listed and clearly states it is a sample. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Steve, a quick question about the campaign...will your son and his team be building these computers with the individuals they decide to help? I think that would be really cool if they were spreading the love of building computers with people who may not normally get that chance.

You guys used to take hardware donations for stuff years ago. I'll likely throw in a few bucks either way, but u have a bloody ton of still useful hardware I could donate...

Steve, a quick question about the campaign...will your son and his team be building these computers with the individuals they decide to help? I think that would be really cool if they were spreading the love of building computers with people who may not normally get that chance.

That is a GREAT idea. I will pass that along. I know for a fact they could do that with the schools / veterans / boys & girls club (I've donated PCs to all those groups in the past).

Love that your son and his team wants to help those in need, much respect for them and your family for raising a considerate member of society! However, I always like to take full advantage of any situation/give all that's possible. In that sense, I think building just 10 high-end PC's for $10,000 isn't a good use of resources for those in need. Yes, it would be nice to game and such on one of those beast, and sometimes those in need have never experienced nice things like that. But as others have said, and many research studies conclude (why many charities go my proposed route), those in need only need the basics to connect to the internet to affect substantial change in people's lives. If you buy $149 Chromebooks you can help 67 families out vs just 10. Of course, you can expand this even more if you went with the "mini pcs" for $49 like Raspberry Pi, and various other variations out there, this would lead to helping 204 needy families minus the cost for monitors. You also need to consider access to the internet, there are various organizations and sometimes companies that provide free internet to low income families, you could potentially reach out to some of them for information on helping those you end up giving to in order to get them online, some organizations will even assist in donations towards your goal (though not many). Again, either way much respect towards your son, too many people especially Americans have a "Me and I" look at things these days which created many of our nation's problems never thinking of helping their fellow man raise up with them, and no matter what route you guys decide on people in need will still be given the help they need!

I have to repeat myself a bit from my first post....

"people in need" and "budget gaming systems" are not synonymous.

People that could use a computer honestly don't know or should not have any gaming as a priority.
If their children want to play games, they can buy an Xbox.

A straight get the business done computer can be built around a cheap mITX motherboard using a Core i3 cpu and cheap RAM, mITX case with a PSU and spinning HDD, and come in under 600 dollars.

I'm not piling on here, I think the intentions are noble, but the audience and/or target needs to be better defined.

I am not seeing "budget gaming systems" anywhere in the campaign, that has never been part of the plan. It is simply to build as many computers as possible,

I did have him change the example list that said "ten processors, ten etc. etc." to an actual image because the initial list was confusing.

I am not seeing "budget gaming systems" anywhere in the campaign, that has never been part of the plan. It is simply to build as many computers as possible,

I did have him change the example list that said "ten processors, ten etc. etc." to an actual image because the initial list was confusing.

Listing video cards and aftermarket CPU coolers seem like budget gaming PC to me. Does a very basic computer need either of those?

Newegg sells refurbed Lenovo desktops for as low as $100 shipped, why not just use the funds to buy those machines and then give those away?
Get a lot more machines for the money.

You guys do know that the campaign has an offspring of Steve, from [H]. Expect the "budget" computers to be the [H]ardest budget computers around. Either way its a good cause.

You have a photo of AIO coolers, custom cases, video cards......all things that I do not equate with "budget" or "donation" systems; unless you were donating budget gaming systems to chjldren's hospitals or the like.

Like I said, the cause is noble, but the materials are higher end than one would expect for a charity cause.:D

FFS! You goobers don't KNOW what the materials are yet!

The list of components is a sample to illustrate the detail to which he will report his purchases

If they are voting on who receives the machines, I'm assuming the machines will be built to the needs of those groups. Isn't that the value add here? Maybe the group in need is young aspiring software developers from underprivileged backgrounds who would need more horsepower? Or a photography program that needs more storage? Maybe the computer lab at the children's hospital is for gaming and needs good video cards?

I mean if you don't want to donate then don't, but I don't understand how you get to decide what "they need" when you don't even know who "they" is yet.

You have a photo of AIO coolers, custom cases, video cards......all things that I do not equate with "budget" or "donation" systems; unless you were donating budget gaming systems to chjldren's hospitals or the like.

Like I said, the cause is noble, but the materials are higher end than one would expect for a charity cause.:D

Thank you sir. FYI, that picture of my son was taken with him standing in my office. I use all the hardware in the picture in my case reviews. :)

FFS! You goobers don't KNOW what the materials are yet!

The list of components is a sample to illustrate the detail to which he will report his purchases

If they are voting on who receives the machines, I'm assuming the machines will be built to the needs of those groups. Isn't that the value add here? Maybe the group in need is young aspiring software developers from underprivileged backgrounds who would need more horsepower? Or a photography program that needs more storage? Maybe the computer lab at the children's hospital is for gaming and needs good video cards?

I mean if you don't want to donate then don't, but I don't understand how you get to decide what "they need" when you don't even know who "they" is yet.

Exactly. In the end it will be a combination of different level systems. Some machines better than other depending on who they are going to.

i'm calling BS. Watch me get in trouble.

But unless you are building a rebate box (get a bunch of stuff FAR) you cannot beat buying a pre-made box.

Not possible. You have no volume, if you are providing windows you have to factor in ~$100 per box for licenses etc etc. Your costs are far higher then companies building millions of boxes.

Going to BB and buying some basic laptop would be a better bang for the buck then this

No shit. Especially when you qualify that 'in need' would mean a built in GPU would be sufficient over getting discrete video cards.

Sorry Steve, but this whole GoFundMe reads like a way for your kid to build a bunch of rigs for his friends and not logically consider what could actually be helpful to someone who doesn't have a computer. The presentation lacks perspective on what people in need... actually need.

Chromebox + Monitor = $300

Chromebook = > $200

or... A video card = $200.

If you're building for people in need, the goal is to MAXIMIZE your build count for the amount of money you get. Video cards, especially those budgeted at $200 each... SHOULD NOT BE A CONSIDERATION.

Buy $20,000 worth of Chromebooks and give those out. A decent one is about $170 with tax. Anything else would be superfluous and a waste of money.

Still don't get how you all think a donated computer needs to be a shibox or its somehow a scam.

Still don't get how you all think a donated computer needs to be a shibox or its somehow a scam.

I don't get how you think a system with Haswell dualcore CPUs and 4GB of ram is a "shitbox."

These are supposed to be donated to people in need. Why build a gaming capable rig for someone who can't afford to buy games?

As far as 'shitbox' specs go, I use my Chromebook as a daily driver. It is FAR from being a shitbox. I can transcode video reasonably quickly, it plays 1080p fluidly, even plays TF2 on low at around 50fps. Sandy Bridge based dualcore Celeron.

Like I said in my previous post. Perspective.

I don't think the majority of people think it's a scam.. The project would however probably be more successful if it had a more detailed overview of what it would take for this project to be considered a success. Most of us understand Steve Jr.'s example was just that, an example. But what I think is necessary for most is to clearly define who is considered at need (he already did with listing the charitable organizations), what the usage goal is (simple/high end gaming, homework), and what hardware is required to meet those goals.

Whether it's truly for "at need" people that live in poverty, or a simple gaming rig to bring a smile to children's' faces at a hospital, it probably wouldn't matter. The plan just needs to be communicated better to the potential donating audience. Either way, great job Steve on trying to help your son get this off the ground. I hope to do something similar with my son one day.

For two of the groups mentioned (children's hospitals and disabled veterans), building gaming rigs is actually something that makes alot of sense. Video games have a scientifically proven value in reducing pain, helping individuals cope with stressful situations, and developing motor skills. People in these situations can also benefit simply from the distraction gaming can provide when they are in difficult situations, like receiving cancer treatments, or recovering from debilitating injuries.

If Sebastian's team can also incorporate the individuals into the process of building the computers, it may also help to spark a new passion in these individuals for computing, or possibly lead to the development of a valuable trade skill that can be employed in the real-world.

I know that they could get more machines into the hands of people in need by just handing out Chrometops and refurbished PCs, but maybe the goal that Sebastian and his team have in mind is a bit different. After reading [H] for so many years, I don't Steve would let his son get away with something disingenuous (as this site has rallied against manufacturers and companies doing the same thing), and exploiting the readers of [H] for that purpose. As such, I think this campaign deserves the benefit of the doubt, and we should give Sebastian and his team time to fully explain themselves, and work out all the kinks.

Just my two cents.

Laptops were on sale the week before for $99. $1000/computer is lunacy. If the intent is to actually help people there are a lot better ways of going about it.

Again, nowhere does this campaign say anything about the types of systems being built. No one (outside the comments section) said "budget gaming rigs" "$1000 per system" or anything like that.

Now, it could very well be that, by the end of the campaign, the only thing they'll be able to come up with is a couple budget systems, Chromebooks or Lenovo refurbs or other system suggested here. Who knows? But, in the mean time, the guys are doing their best to raise money to help as many people as possible.

Also, the boys will all be working jobs over the next four weekends to make money to support the project as well and my son is even selling off his old system and donating the proceeds. I am extremely proud of the sheer amount of effort they are putting in on this.

I think this is pretty awesome, if I had the money to donate I would.

If we have spare parts is there a way to send stuff? Not sure what you guys are looking for but that might be a way to get more systems to people who need them.

Correct me if i'm wrong but from what I have read, you are building PC's for specific peoples uses. WHICH MAKES SENSE, for example if a person just wants to do research and school online build a simple PC. If someone is a graphic designer, perhaps do some intense photoshop stuff, have slightly better hardware suited. Video editor/ Game designer require different "entry level" hardware.

Also the alienware Alpha seems like a good deal for most of the more demanding type of production things and you could sell the controller on ebay for more parts. They also come with windows licenses, not sure if thats an issue or if you guys worked out something with microsoft.

Great work! I'd be proud of my kid if he did something like this.

Correct me if i'm wrong but from what I have read, you are building PC's for specific peoples uses. WHICH MAKES SENSE, for example if a person just wants to do research and school online build a simple PC. If someone is a graphic designer, perhaps do some intense photoshop stuff, have slightly better hardware suited. Video editor/ Game designer require different "entry level" hardware.

That is correct. :)

Back