Don’t Be Fooled by Software Pirates

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a sense of relief when a cruel joke is quickly followed by a wisecracking “April Fools!” But when consumers fall victim to software piracy, you can be sure a pirate won’t relieve their misery with humor. Software piracy is an unfortunate outgrowth of the technical age, but what multiplies the risk is that many people view software piracy as a victimless crime. A recent survey conducted by the Business Action to Stop Counterfeiting and Piracy (BASCAP)1 revealed that some consumers perceived the counterfeit business to be harmless and not unethical because no one gets hurt. Right?

Wrong.

Hurt to the extent that the CEO can only afford that gold-plated toilet for the master bedroom instead of the solid gold one...Oh wait no, they divert that loss down to the employees so they suffer seriously instead of the CEO still living lavishly with no realistic loss from the eyes of the average american.

Here is an appropriate image I found using
topeka-hp.gif
images this morning..

20080406-software_pirate.jpg

What a bunch of bullshit.

I wish people would write realistic articles about piracy instead of these scare articles.

(OMG VIRUSES, OMG CRAP SOFTWARE)

I wish these developers would start treating their customers like adults.

Episode 709 of Southpark comes to mind. Same thing applies to pirating software.

MS seems to be talking about software counterfeiting, which I will agree is both wrong and dangerous: much riskier than something like music sharing.

Back