Domain Controller and Web/DB server on same machine?

maw

Supreme [H]ardness
For a small home network is it OK to combine the duties of DC, File server, Print server, and Web/DB server all on one box? The recommendations I found all say the DC should be a separate box, but those recommendations refer to full-blown enterprise setups, not a tiny home network. Is there some other technical reason I'm unaware of as to why the DC should be on a separate box?

Is there some other technical reason I'm unaware of as to why the DC should be on a separate box?

No, they seperate them because both can become very intensive tasks. You're fine.

DC, are you using AD, or just a DNS server?

But yes, it is both security and load balancing that causes most setups to seperate their tasks.

Generally intensive tasks..but for smaller setups, it's fine.
Take a look at Microsoft Small Business Server....DC/full infrastructure/Web/Exchange/file & print/sometimes database like SQL...designed for up to 75 users.

OK, thanks all.

And yes, I'm using AD since I want an environment I can test stuff in that's similar to what I have at work..

If you want something as similar as possible you could always virtualize the servers in a similar configuration you're using at work.

If you want something as similar as possible you could always virtualize the servers in a similar configuration you're using at work.

yes, that's an option I'm still keeping open.

One of the main reasons you should keep your DCs seperate is because there is no local SAM (user) Database on a domain controller so if you're authenticating users on your website or any other application then they all need AD accounts and are authenticating to AD. This is a major security hole.

Realistically Domain controllers don't get hammered until they have to deal with users into the 4 figures.

How about this:

Where I work, I don't think they ever anticipated needing more...

What we have:
An old Dell SC440 with a pentium D, used to have just 2gb ram.

Win2k3/ad/exchange/sql. Also our server for the shop software.

Has 4gb now.

For a home user, with a limited number of users, sure do it all on one.

For a small business? *shudder*.

The R710 will be here on Tuesday. Hello 16 cores and 16gb:)

Back