• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does Vysnc work???

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
2,709
I had to sell my 4890 because older games in windows 7 would not work with vysnc. Game in point BF2. I tried forcing it in the control panel but that did nothing. And their is no in game option to force it in Bf2. So I switched to Nvidia and got a GTX285. Forcing Vysnc in the nvidia control panel works just fine in BF2. Can someone with an Ati card try and force vsync in BF2 and see if it works? And yes I have tried rivatuner and vsync will work then, but then punkbuster kicks you for having some unknown api thing...Can someone with a ATI card test BF2 and see if vysnc works with the lastest ATI drivers??


Thanks
 
That's what I thought. So it works fine in Nvidia Hardware but not in ATI that's too bad....
 
Wait...is this just for BF2 or for ANY game running on ATI hardware in Windows 7? If it's for any game, that's a dealbreaker for me. Image tearing is my pet peeve.
 
Wait...is this just for BF2 or for ANY game running on ATI hardware in Windows 7? If it's for any game, that's a dealbreaker for me. Image tearing is my pet peeve.

telling ATI to force Vsync on for all games, didn't turn it on for BF2. Weather thats BF2's problem or ATI's problem, who knows, if its ATIs problem I suspect you'll see it fixed in a coming CCC revision.

But, if the engine supports it your not going to have any problems anyways. Any source game supports vsync in the options UI. Chances are even if its not in the UI theres a boolean variable in some ini file or some bit in a registry that needs to be flipped and the game will run vsync.
 
So if I understand correctly this is just a Windows 7 issue and maybe just on BF2?
 
BF2 is just BF2, it has a 100fps cap or something like that and like widescreen, at least when I last played it it didn't support it because EA is weird like that.
 
BF2 and vysnc works fine with Nvidia hardware so its a ATI driver issue. I have sent emails to ATI tech support about this for the past 6 months nothing has been done about it. ATI games in windows xp are fine and vysnc works in xp without a problem. I keep hoping in each new driver release for W& ati would have fixed it, but they haven't. And their are some other games that it doesn't work as well, stalker for one. Now I know W7 isn't released yet (official anyway) but nvidia has had vysnc working in W7 for a while now. I hope ATI gets off their butts soon. You can use a third party app like riva tuner but then punkbuster kicks you for having some cheat....
 
Wait...is this just for BF2 or for ANY game running on ATI hardware in Windows 7? If it's for any game, that's a dealbreaker for me. Image tearing is my pet peeve.

odd, i only get tearing when vsync is on. and i never get it when its off

just like when i use Fraps it cuases tearing when it locks my fps at 60 but when im not recording i never get tearing doesnt matter if the game is at 60fps or 100fps no tearing aslong as vsync is off.

its the same for both my 46" Sharp Aquos LCD and my 23" Asus LCD i dont get tearing unless im vsynced plus i notice horrible input lag with vsync

BF2 is just BF2, it has a 100fps cap or something like that and like widescreen, at least when I last played it it didn't support it because EA is weird like that.

you can uncap BF2's FPS in the console its kinda funny playing it with maxed settings and getting 250fps i would of killed for that kind of perf. back when i played the game competativly
 
I had to sell my 4890 because older games in windows 7 would not work with vysnc. Game in point BF2. I tried forcing it in the control panel but that did nothing. And their is no in game option to force it in Bf2. So I switched to Nvidia and got a GTX285. Forcing Vysnc in the nvidia control panel works just fine in BF2. Can someone with an Ati card try and force vsync in BF2 and see if it works? And yes I have tried rivatuner and vsync will work then, but then punkbuster kicks you for having some unknown api thing...Can someone with a ATI card test BF2 and see if vysnc works with the lastest ATI drivers??


Thanks


first off.. reinstall rivatuner and make sure you check the I/O option in the install so that punkbuster doesnt detect it as an unknown API..
 
odd, i only get tearing when vsync is on. and i never get it when its off

just like when i use Fraps it cuases tearing when it locks my fps at 60 but when im not recording i never get tearing doesnt matter if the game is at 60fps or 100fps no tearing aslong as vsync is off.

its the same for both my 46" Sharp Aquos LCD and my 23" Asus LCD i dont get tearing unless im vsynced plus i notice horrible input lag with vsync



you can uncap BF2's FPS in the console its kinda funny playing it with maxed settings and getting 250fps i would of killed for that kind of perf. back when i played the game competativly

Tearing is caused by a mismatch between your monitor's refresh rate and the graphics card's frame rate. Vsync tells the video card to hold off on updating the screen until monitor's vertical blanking period (when nothing's being drawn on the screen). So enable Vsync should not cause tearing (input lag definitely). If it is, there's something wrong.
 
Tearing is caused by a mismatch between your monitor's refresh rate and the graphics card's frame rate. Vsync tells the video card to hold off on updating the screen until monitor's vertical blanking period (when nothing's being drawn on the screen). So enable Vsync should not cause tearing (input lag definitely). If it is, there's something wrong.

The monitor has to sync with the card first?

I always though vsync was just a frame cap function.

*gasps*

Curses... I just figured what you said out...
 
vsync seems to work fine for me, granted, I use XP

never had an issue with nVidia nor ATI over the years
 
I have the same problem in Vista. A good chance the issue has been carried over to 7.

The solution? ATI Tray Tools has a separate Force VSync option in addition to the standard "On/App/Off" setting you get in CCC (create a new game profile, and you'll find it under the D3D Tweaks tab).
 
The monitor has to sync with the card first?

I always though vsync was just a frame cap function.

*gasps*

Curses... I just figured what you said out...

yeah this seems to be the attitute on the steampowered forums. Infact, I got laughed at when I suggested the proper definition in a CSS server. "Naw man turning on Vsync just brings your FPS down".

Digressing a little bit, there are similar attitudes about interpolation. Long story short, a properly configured interpolation setup actually eliminates floating hitbox problems, turning it off surfaces can the worst possible scenario...

anyways, with vsync off the graphics card will start filling the fame sequentially and if the monitor wants that frame before the graphics card is done with it, information from the previous frame is borrowed.
 
anyways, with vsync off the graphics card will start filling the fame sequentially and if the monitor wants that frame before the graphics card is done with it, information from the previous frame is borrowed.

monitors stream data from the frame buffer one pixel at a time. They don't request or "want" whole frames at a time. With Vysnc off, what happens when the render speed is different from the monitor refresh is that as the monitor is streaming pixels from the frame buffer, the GPU changes the contents of that framebuffer mid-screen. So the monitor is now drawing the new data (as it's completely oblivious to what it's actually showing you).

Turning vsync on enables a secondary buffer that the GPU can write to; then, during a v-blank period, flip the contents to the primary buffer that the screen is drawing from (double-buffering). If the secondary buffer gets full before v-blanking, the GPU will stop sending data to it until it's been flipped out. This behavior is what causes you FPS to drop to half or 1/4 the refresh rate when you're not running at least 60FPS.

Triple buffering enables yet a third buffer (obviously) that allows the GPU to keep rendering once the second buffer is full, but isn't ready to flip to the primary buffer. This allows the framerate to be anything up to the refresh rate since the GPU isn't having to wait on a v-blank period anymore.
 
monitors stream data from the frame buffer one pixel at a time. They don't request or "want" whole frames at a time. With Vysnc off, what happens when the render speed is different from the monitor refresh is that as the monitor is streaming pixels from the frame buffer, the GPU changes the contents of that framebuffer mid-screen. So the monitor is now drawing the new data (as it's completely oblivious to what it's actually showing you).

Turning vsync on enables a secondary buffer that the GPU can write to; then, during a v-blank period, flip the contents to the primary buffer that the screen is drawing from (double-buffering). If the secondary buffer gets full before v-blanking, the GPU will stop sending data to it until it's been flipped out. This behavior is what causes you FPS to drop to half or 1/4 the refresh rate when you're not running at least 60FPS.

Triple buffering enables yet a third buffer (obviously) that allows the GPU to keep rendering once the second buffer is full, but isn't ready to flip to the primary buffer. This allows the framerate to be anything up to the refresh rate since the GPU isn't having to wait on a v-blank period anymore.

correct, the long hand version of saying what I said.
 
I have the same problem in Vista. A good chance the issue has been carried over to 7.

The solution? ATI Tray Tools has a separate Force VSync option in addition to the standard "On/App/Off" setting you get in CCC (create a new game profile, and you'll find it under the D3D Tweaks tab).

I got around this using RivaTuner and D3DOverride (which was part of RivaTuner) to force Triple Buffer. Had screen tearing issues that went away when I did this.
 
Back
Top