• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does type of fan matter?

Gutspiller

Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
576
I'm thinking of getting a new case ( http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15120 ) and it has two optional spots for fans that I want to fill. I had the simple question of what type of fans?

I mean I don't want POS company fans, but does it really matter after that? I've tried a Thermaltake fan before and... well it worked. I really don't know what else to look for.

Are there companies to stay away from when buying 120 x 25 fans? I'm looking for something that has an internal adjustment between L/M/H so I can make my new case as quiet as possible with all its fans.

Suggestions? Links are appreciated.

Thanks!
 
I have a preference to dual BB fans simple because they have outlasted any other type of fans I've own. It's just that they are also the LOUDEST fans I've ever owned.

I have 2 kingwin dual-ballbearing fans that I've had forever. Still move as the day I bought them. 2000rpm, ~75cfm.
 
Scythe S-FLEX are nice fans, extremely quite, I can't hear them with my case right next to me. Although they don't move as much CFM as say a Delta, but I personally prefer a quieter environment if I can help it.

Also, the S-FLEX comes in several fan speeds, D-800rpm E-1200rpm F-1600rpm. I use 1 S-FLEX F for the cpu with TRUE120e and 2 S-FLEX Es for the case.

Apparently they came out with a G version rated at 1900rpm, I might get another one to give my cpu a bit better cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006
 
S-Flexs are great, but they are expensive. Usually people will buy S-Flexs as their main fans, then buy something cheaper, like Yate Loons, for the rest. Don't even get started on Delta, listen to the older Powermacs (G4 for example) and you will know what I mean.
 
I typically just buy some Yate Loon sleeve bearing fans. They're cheap, relatively smooth sounding, and quiet. If reliability is a top concern (and longevity second) then I'd use ball or dual-ball bearings.
 
Noctua are rated as very quiet, reliable and well engineered. Pricey at around $20.00. The NF-S12 120MMx25MM come in two speeds 800 and 1,200 RPM with an Ultra Low Noise Adaptor, ULNA, lowers speed. Includes 4 vibration compensators, rubber? press fit screws or mounts and short mounting screws with 3 to 4 pin adaptor. They look solid and well made and should live up to a long life rating. Another fan model is for CPU cooler mounting, something about pressure it makes and is not a case fan. Using three in my case, but the stock chipset fan being so noisy takes away the quiet I was striving for. Always seems the stock or OEM fans, that do special cooling and custom fit or mount run like a vacuum cleaner.
 
Back
Top