IPS / PLS / AHVA

*** LOW GLOW ***
< 15ms input lag
~1000:1 contrast
Good colors
Good response time
Semi glossy / glossy coating
< £lowest price possible

I have been researching 27" 1440p screens for about a week now and I still cannot find a screen that does all of these things, except the new LG screen which is only available in USA. I am about to give up trying to find a good IPS and just buy a VA screen instead, but if I could find one with all the things above, especially low IPS glow and low input lag, I would get a 27" IPS instead.

Have I missed something or are there really no IPS screens at a decent price that have all of these things? As it is clearly possible to make a "low glow" IPS screen, I have no idea why ANY IPS screens still have IPS glow.

The LG 27MB85R is what you are looking for and it's available pretty much everywhere though from few retailers, but it is.

So what's the problem ? It's expensive ? Not so much compared to competition actually.

Alternatives to that LG -> NONE at the moment.

/thread.

LG 27MB85R is not low glow unfortunately. I saw this monitor in february and it was the same IPS crap, only if LG is using an A-TW panel now.

I don't know. In Europe only monitors with Samsung's LTM270DL06 panel (Viewsonic VP2770, AOC Q2770PQU, Eizo EV2736W) are low glow.

I don't know. In Europe only monitors with Samsung's LTM270DL06 panel (Viewsonic VP2770, AOC Q2770PQU, Eizo EV2736W) are low glow.

The LG glows less head-on vs the EV2336W, AOC Q2770PQU, and EV2736W I've used at distances ranging from 30-90 cms. The AOC and EV2736W both suffered from strong bottom-left corner glow; however, the AOC glowed normally in all four corners while the EV2736W was glow-free in 3/4 corners. There's a possibility that the LG has different panel revisions that glow more/less exist in different regions, and it's also possible that the LG glows the same head-on vs AHVA panels (which I've not used), but I doubt this as =DEAD= reported that they had stronger glow vs IPS and PLS panels in his review of the BL2710PT. Keep in mind that any IPS panel will exhibit strong glow (even if glow-free) if used in a dimly lit room.

My LG is what I would classify as "low-glow" based on my experiences thus far.

I've never heard of the VP2770 being reported as using a low-glow panel.

Last edited:
So LG glows less vs. monitors with strong corner glow not vs. monitors with normal glow.

Interesting, the old EV2736W monitors with panel LTM270DL02 are also low glow but VP2770 and Q2770PQU with the same panel aren't.

So LG glows less vs. monitors with strong corner glow not vs. monitors with normal glow.

Interesting, the old EV2736W monitors with panel LTM270DL02 are also low glow but VP2770 and Q2770PQU with the same panel aren't.

No, I'm saying it glows less vs normal glowing panels (AOC Q2770PQU in 3/4 of it's normal glowing corners, and the EV2336 in all corners). I'm saying it could glow the same as AHVA panels because I've never used/seen a monitor with an AHVA panel. But I doubt this because of =DEAD='s review of the BL2710PT.

The AOC had one incredibly strongly glowing corner as did the EV2736W, but the EV2736W was glow-free in 3/4 corners, head-on.

The LG 27MB85R is what you are looking for and it's available pretty much everywhere though from few retailers, but it is.

So what's the problem ? It's expensive ? Not so much compared to competition actually.

Alternatives to that LG -> NONE at the moment.

/thread.

Cannot get that in the UK though unfortunately...

So it looks like the answer to my question is "no you cannot guarantee getting a low glow panel", which is a shame, I might get one of the BenQ 3200 VA screens but then that has 25ms of input lag and the reason I want a new monitor is to replace my TV (which I am using currently for games) which has 31ms input lag so I don't know if the BenQ will even be any better than my TV for input lag.

Man, do you even google ? ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-ELECTRONICS-27MB85R-B-WQHD-AH-IPS/dp/B00II5PWR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419259568&sr=8-1&keywords=27MB85R

http://computerpirates.co.uk/lg-27mb85r-led-display-27mb85r-b.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X27MB85R&_nkw=27MB85R&_sacat=0&_clu=2&_fcid=3&_localstpos&_stpos&gbr=1

EDIT; as for the glow, you're free not to believe people even though they tell you the low-glow is real. Indeed there's panel lottery when it comes to monitors, it happens, and we have little ways to control this. My guess is at the moment this LG monitor has pretty much only one type of panel all around the world, could be wrong, but if you never try or take any risks, you'll never get the best things.
Up to you to feel safer buying inferior stuff, heh. ^^

PS: want the best 32" VA TV ? Go for the Sony 32W705B, only 14ms lag: https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-w706-w705-kdl-32w706-led-lcd-tv-full-hd-television-review.10458

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do the AHVA screens have worse / the same input lag compared to PLS or IPS? The Asus AHVA screen has low input lag.

Man, do you even google ? ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-ELECTRONICS-27MB85R-B-WQHD-AH-IPS/dp/B00II5PWR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419259568&sr=8-1&keywords=27MB85R

http://computerpirates.co.uk/lg-27mb85r-led-display-27mb85r-b.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X27MB85R&_nkw=27MB85R&_sacat=0&_clu=2&_fcid=3&_localstpos&_stpos&gbr=1

EDIT; as for the glow, you're free not to believe people even though they tell you the low-glow is real. Indeed there's panel lottery when it comes to monitors, it happens, and we have little ways to control this. My guess is at the moment this LG monitor has pretty much only one type of panel all around the world, could be wrong, but if you never try or take any risks, you'll never get the best things.
Up to you to feel safer buying inferior stuff, heh. ^^

Thanks for links, It does look interesting but with vat import etc. to the UK its over £500

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Exactly, the LG I saw in that show room glows like other IPS monitors for example U2713HM which was on display also.

Exactly, the LG I saw in that show room glows like other IPS monitors for example U2713HM which was on display also.

I give up, you clearly didn't read any of my posts.

Sorry I meant to say "ips glow" not input lag, Do AHVA screens have same / worse glow?

=DEAD= from overclockers.ru claim they glow more than IPS/PLS panels.

You mean that Asus with absolutely messed-up colors and inferior contrast ? Sure it's an other one with low lag, but...

@Nicholars: of course the LG is expensive, what pricing do you expect for monitors of that level ?
But again the similar Eizo that do worse than this LG are even more expensive.

EDIT: also from computerpirates even with VAT it is £458.81, and shipping is free in the UK. Did you even check ?

I give up, you clearly didn't read any of my posts.

=DEAD= from overclockers.ru claim they glow more than IPS/PLS panels.

Argh, looks like I will have to just get a VA screen then.

Last edited:
£400 is your limit huh ?
Too bad you're going for a worse monitor for a £59 difference.
Good luck with your purchase anyway.

You mean that Asus with absolutely messed-up colors and inferior contrast ? Sure it's an other one with low lag, but...

@Nicholars: of course the LG is expensive, what pricing do you expect for monitors of that level ?
But again the similar Eizo that do worse than this LG are even more expensive.

EDIT: also from computerpirates even with VAT it is £458.81, and shipping is free in the UK. Did you even check ?

IPS is very nice and everything but even if its glow free it still only has 1000:1 contrast. But then if the has LG very low input lag and is almost glow free.... cannot find any detailed reviews of it, do you own the LG?

IPS is very nice and everything but even if its glow free it still only has 1000:1 contrast. But then if the has LG very low input lag and is almost glow free.... cannot find any detailed reviews of it, do you own the LG?

The only reviews available are the Playwares review and my observations in this thread

How far away are you sitting? The LG glows less than any other panel I've used @ 33cm (in a well-lit room), but nearly all IPS/PLS/AHVA monitors are glow free if you sit at least 90cm away (also in a well-lit room).

I'm planning to buy it in January (I'm broke now), but playerwares, Nikyo, and a few other users confirmed what's been said about this monitor, have you read the dedicated thread ?
If you had been looking for such a monitor for ages like we do, and understood that when experienced reviewers like NCX say it's good, you'd understand.

Anyway, get that BenQ if you're too worried about IPS glow and stuff, but why did you make a thread about an IPS in the first place when you're actually not going to buy one ?

EDIT: Nikyo beat me to it.
But seriously, do discussions with backed-up points even make sense to people nowadays ?

I did man, but this LG glows MUCH more than old EV2736W which was low glow, is comparable with other IPS monitors. Who cares if glows 10-15% less?
Don't give up, I appreciate you taking the time to try all this new monitors first like CX271.

I'm planning to buy it in January (I'm broke now), but playerwares, Nikyo, and a few other users confirmed what's been said about this monitor, have you read the dedicated thread ?
If you had been looking for such a monitor for ages like we do, and understood that when experienced reviewers like NCX say it's good, you'd understand.

Anyway, get that BenQ if you're too worried about IPS glow and stuff, but why did you make a thread about an IPS in the first place when you're actually not going to buy one ?

EDIT: Nikyo beat me to it.
But seriously, do discussions with backed-up points even make sense to people nowadays ?

Well because if I could get an IPS with most/all the things I want for a good price I would buy that, if not then I would probably go for a VA panel instead. I like IPS screens but with the limited contrast and IPS glow I don't think they are worth paying more than a certain amount unless they have low input lag etc. Qnix 2710 looks interesting at the price but I am not sure about the whole importing from ebay thing. Are the single DVI only Qnix 2710 the ones which are sold as flicker free but use PWM? Or is that the multi input ones? Difficult to know as they don't tell you much on the ebay listings.

@zanardi; what you say contrasts so much with what playerwares and Nikyo report I'm starting to think the one you've seen had a different panel.
You've seen one in February, Nikyo's one was manufactured recently in September.

@Nicholars: well for one thing the LG does have low input lag, which is exceptional for a multi-input 1440.
Anyone who has been keeping an eye on 1440 IPS monitors since they've appeared on the market will understand this is the first one (in the multi-input 60Hz category) that does nothing wrong, whatever the debates about glow will conclude.
Regarding the Korean models; there are too many unknown variables for my taste, as a whloe they're more risky than the LG.
But yeah, considering how you feel about IPS, you should really go with VA.

Last edited:
Honestly, the LG's black depth is = to the BL3200PT @ 88 cm (lower contrast or not) because it's glow-free from that distance just like the Eizo CX271 (which had 700:1 contrast, but used an ATW-polarizer and was = the BenQ) I used. I mentioned in the conversation I had with you in the AOC's thread that I dislike the BL3200PT because of head-on gamma shift and loss of color saturation near the edges of the screen (VA cone, I believe it's called). I'm actually sitting here contemplating returning the BL3200PT and grabbing a second LG.

But, if you're totally unwilling to pay more for the LG, then I would recommend the BL3200PT over the AOC for overall enjoyment factor.

Honestly, the LG's black depth is = to the BL3200PT @ 88 cm (lower contrast or not) because it's glow-free from that distance just like the Eizo CX271 (which had 700:1 contrast, but used an ATW-polarizer and was = the BenQ) I used. I mentioned in the conversation I had with you in the AOC's thread that I dislike the BL3200PT because of head-on gamma shift and loss of color saturation near the edges of the screen (VA cone, I believe it's called). I'm actually sitting here contemplating returning the BL3200PT and grabbing a second LG.

But, if you're totally unwilling to pay more for the LG, then I would recommend the BL3200PT over the AOC for overall enjoyment factor.

Hmm a glow free, low input lag IPS would be great and having tried an Eizo foris recently, which I was expecting to be much better than my current monitor, I was not impressed at all compared to my 7 year old NEC 20WGX2, which is glow free and has a nice coating, but far too small...

Shame the LG is not more widely available at places like amazon at lower prices and that the Asus AHVA (only low input lag IPS I can find other than the LG) is not as good for image quality.... Never heard of that piratecomputers place so a bit hesitant...

Was speaking to someone who owns the BenQ today and he said 27" IPS is pretty much all round better except for the blacks and the BenQ has flickering problems, I think I will either go for the AOC or hopefully that LG will have better availability soon. The Qnix etc. on ebay is cheap but if you get a **** panel there is not much you can do about it. Are there any better options than the AOC at around that price? I can't find any.

I doubt the LG will have better availability in the future, it's a 'prosumer' level monitor and not very fashionable, you won't see many stores carrying it.

BUT, there's the possibility prices will drop in January, you know after Xmas it's time for clearance party. ;)

Also it has been available in Korea since early 2014 so it's not 'new' and I doubt LG will keep offering this model forever, usually they renew their stuff every year or so.

Last edited:
Why do you need IPS? After I have tried VA I can say that I prefer VA over IPS.

My Philips has very little BLB, the color looks great, not far away from IPS, the viewing angles are decent (but you look at a display in front of you anyway so angles does not matter), it has 5000:1 contrast.

Comparing to my old IPS screen that had terrible glow, I'm not sure if I ever dare to go back to IPS/PLS/AHVA again (even though I was considering it yesterday due to some graphical bug on this display which got solved by itself today).

^ This is important.

Pick a good IPS like the LG only if you are able to appreciate accurate, natural and consistent colors, as well as an overall 'snappier' behavior.

This is a matter of what one considers being his standards for 'viewing comfort and useability'.

For what I do with a monitor I favor accuracy and response, in this case the 'right' picture and timings = IPS = comfort.
But for chilling and watching movies or casual gaming, I am definitely enjoying my 42" VA Sony TV more. In this case the 'easy' picture = VA = comfort.

My Philips has very little BLB, the color looks great, not far away from IPS, the viewing angles are decent (but you look at a display in front of you anyway so angles does not matter), it has 5000:1 contrast.

Comparing to my old IPS screen that had terrible glow, I'm not sure if I ever dare to go back to IPS/PLS/AHVA again (even though I was considering it yesterday due to some graphical bug on this display which got solved by itself today).

The Philips is somewhat of an anomaly because it actually has excellent pixel response with the overdrive turned off (it induces overshoot) and it's input lag is on par with other VA monitors and a few IPS monitors. But, it uses 240hz PWM and is what I'd consider an expensive waste of money. Plus, he's clearly most interested in a delay-free monitor which leaves him with only IPS options.

In my experience, VA monitors are nothing but a large pain in the ass. Poor pixel response coupled with head-on gamma-shift, which will ghost like no other, crush blacks and cause desaturation of colors toward the edge of the monitor unless viewed from a distance greater than 120cm (applies to 32" screens).

Good lord, I think I just convinced myself to return my BenQ.

Last edited:

What phillips is that? I agree about the IPS glow and I sort of want a VA screen but...VA is not available at 27" 1440p, 27" 1080p will be too low PPI for me, then there is the BenQ 3200, which looks quite good but a) it has high input lag b) it has a flickering problem, so not sure about that. I think IPS has the best colors and image quality but my IPS is almost glow free and has NEC opticlear coating so I am not sure if I will like a newer IPS / PLS with more glow and a matte / semi glossy coating. Also the VA contrast is better and no white glow.

How do the PLS screens eg. aoc q2770pqu compare to IPS screens eg. Dell U2715 for IPS glow and screen coating? All I want is reasonably low glow and a coating which does not make the colors look dull, and ideally lower input lag as well, not sure AOC PLS or Dell / other IPS hmmmm.

^ That's obviously a ridiculously over exposed video.

Try a glossy Dell S2415H or HP 23 Envy (Review links available here) since you don't want to pay for the LG. You can keep dismissing recommendations or try some monitors out from retailers with hassle free return and exchange policies.

The 2014 edition of the PB278Q/PB278QR will also be fine coming from the NEC since reviews indicate that it has significantly less accurate colour presets than most newer monitors. The Crossover 2730MD/2720MDP is/are the only multi-input glossy 1440p monitors with proper brightness controls, but have a frame of input lag.

How do the PLS screens eg. aoc q2770pqu compare to IPS screens eg. Dell U2715 for IPS glow and screen coating? All I want is reasonably low glow and a coating which does not make the colors look dull, and ideally lower input lag as well, not sure AOC PLS or Dell / other IPS hmmmm.

We will keep saying the LG 27MB85R is the best because at the moment pretty much everything shows it really is.

You have in this thread (as well as a couple other mentioning the LG);

1. one website doing respectable reviews (playerwares) showing outstanding results.
2. a capable user (Nikyo) with high standards bringing additional live comparative experience and confirming the review with his unit manufactured in September.
3. an experienced, independent reviewer we all know (NCX) backing this up because he understands better what all of the results and reports mean and he can relate to much more than we all do.
4. a long time seeker of the most capable all-rounder monitor (me) obsessed with every detail, reading about each and every freaking monitor review and forums for over two years, finally seeing all the boxes ticked and double-ticked.
5. one person who saw one in February and says the glow wasn't as 'low' as they say.

And you keep asking about every other monitor but the LG, like any of us will tell you "yes go on buy any model but the LG, it will be better / more satisfying".

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Again, buy whatever monitor you want, since our advice doesn't seem to count for much lol. :p
Honestly you've been given all the information and advice you need and more. With a good level of precision I'll add. So your indecision is based on your lack of trust and capacity to understand the value of the advice people give you.
If you read again and pay close attention, maybe before read some technical material about how panel technologies work (like on tftcentral and pcmonitors guidance articles) and maybe then the whole thoughts strengthening process will help you make a real decision of value, instead of a confused one.

Me ? I'm definitely buying the 27MB85R in January.

^ That's obviously a ridiculously over exposed video.

Try a glossy Dell S2415H or HP 23 Envy (Review links available here) since you don't want to pay for the LG. You can keep dismissing recommendations or try some monitors out from retailers with hassle free return and exchange policies.

The 2014 edition of the PB278Q/PB278QR will also be fine coming from the NEC since reviews indicate that it has significantly less accurate colour presets than most newer monitors. The Crossover 2730MD/2720MDP is/are the only multi-input glossy 1440p monitors with proper brightness controls, but have a frame of input lag.

Thanks for reply, I want a 27" as tried a 24" and its too small, I might give the LG PB278QR a go imported, but I really hope it actually is low glow and low input lag as all I have to go on is one review translated from chinese and a couple of comments on here, it does look like the best IPS available from that review but its hard to tell. Looks like it has an almost glossy coating, 7ms input lag, and hardly any glow from that review. If not that it would be the AOC or possibly the PB278QR but I am not sure what you mean from your comment, what do you mean coming from the NEC? That the new PB278QR will be better or worse than the one reviewed?

We will keep saying the LG 27MB85R is the best because at the moment pretty much everything shows it really is.

You have in this thread (as well as a couple other mentioning the LG);

1. one website doing respectable reviews (playerwares) showing outstanding results.
2. a capable user (Nikyo) with high standards bringing additional live comparative experience and confirming the review with his unit manufactured in September.
3. an experienced, independent reviewer we all know (NCX) backing this up because he understands better what all of the results and reports mean and he can relate to much more than we all do.
4. a long time seeker of the most capable all-rounder monitor (me) obsessed with every detail, reading about each and every freaking monitor review and forums for over two years, finally seeing all the boxes ticked and double-ticked.
5. one person who saw one in February and says the glow wasn't as 'low' as they say.

And you keep asking about every other monitor but the LG, like any of us will tell you "yes go on buy any model but the LG, it will be better / more satisfying".

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Again, buy whatever monitor you want, since our advice doesn't seem to count for much lol. :p
Honestly you've been given all the information and advice you need and more. With a good level of precision I'll add. So your indecision is based on your lack of trust and capacity to understand the value of the advice people give you.
If you read again and pay close attention, maybe before read some technical material about how panel technologies work (like on tftcentral and pcmonitors guidance articles) and maybe then the whole thoughts strengthening process will help you make a real decision of value, instead of a confused one.

Me ? I'm definitely buying the 27MB85R in January.

Sorry I am new to this forum, no offence meant lol, but yes the LG does seem like the best and I am looking into how I can get hold of one in the UK. Its not that I don't think you are right... Just that it seemed out of my budget and was seeing if any alternatives that are easily available, but if I have to import it and can get it for a reasonable price then I probably will.

Sorry I did not intend to sound so harsh lol. :D
Of course the current price is a problem, it is for me as well... and that's the best reason not to buy something so what can we do? ^^

EDIT: too bad you don't want a 1080p though, a good VA like the Iiyama xb2783hsu-b1 would solve your problem. It's not 'prosumer' level, but still damn capable.

Last edited:
But I really hope it actually is low glow and low input lag as all I have to go on is one review translated from Korean

Playerwares is one of the most in depth review sites and Nikyo has proven himself to be one of [H]ard Forums only members with deep pockets, knowledge and high standards.

But I am not sure what you mean from your comment, what do you mean coming from the NEC? That the new PB278QR will be better or worse than the one reviewed?

The NEC's tested back in the day did not have good preset colour accuracy while the monitors suggested in this thread do. 27" versions of the glossy 1080p AH-IPS panels I recommended are also available, but won't look as sharp as the smaller versions and the 27" glossy 1080p HP AH-IPS panels use LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects).

Last edited:
Back