Does the Samsung 710T use exactly the same panel as the 172X?

Roger

Limp Gawd
A couple of weeks ago I was buying an LCD and the Samsung 172X caught my eye for it's sleek looks and good specs. However, at that time the 710T came out and in all reviews on various forums everyone was saying how much better colors on the 710T were since it uses a 24-bit panel that can display "true color" rather than 18-bit used in the 172X. So, I bought it and I was pretty satisfied with it until my neighbor bought his 172X. The first thing that I noticed is that the colors on the 172X don't look ANY worse than on my 710T. 710T a nice monitor and all, but I'm a bit jealous now because next to my neighbor's 172X, my 710T looks fugly! THEN I read that the 710T is actually ALSO a 18-bit panel and can display only 16.2m colors, exactly the SAME as the 172X. Now I really regret buying the 710T because I can't see any difference in color quality and ghosting at all (which was why I got it instead of the 172X in the first place).

What I would like to know is where did that supposed "big difference in color quality" come from? It seems that some people are easily impressed by numbers and see what they want to see. They read a false information about the 710T being a 24-bit panel and all of a sudden they see a huge difference. After comparing the two monitors I've come to conclusion that they both use exactly the same panel and it's just casing is that's different, despite the 710T having higher specs (which in most cases aren't accurate anyways). Can anyone confirm this please? Thank you.

They are both Horrible for Gaming. If you must have a LCD then yes the 710T is the monitor to get. If you dont need a LCD get a High end CRT. you will alot happier.

and by the way they arent the same panel they both use different technology

Its the exact same panel...perhaps slightly different backlights though...

People tend to over inflate slight differences between panels here..

I have both the 710T, 710N, and 172X they are all virtually identical expect for slight differences which could all be chalked up to many external factors and individual manufacturing variances.

And yes.. many people trumped on and on how much better the 710T was over the 172X because of its "superior" color depth.. then when Samsung updated their website these same people vanished from this sub-forum.

<shrug> I wouldnt sweat it too much though.. the 710T is a pretty good panel as is.

Well if they are the same...what is the cheaper one? Isn't 172 X cheaper? I'm not sure

the 172x is the plans or already has been discontinued some retailers do not carry it anymore. Samsung is not shipping it out anymore becouse the 710T is cheaper for them to amke and more people are buying it. id say again if you need to go for the 710T. The 710T when i had it actually looks alot better than the 172x. It is a rather nice liiking display it looks like it is suspended in air. id still say go for CRT

Or justs ave your money and get one of these new 8ms 19inch panels which are coming later this year

TheGameguru said:

I have both the 710T, 710N, and 172X they are all virtually identical expect for slight differences which could all be chalked up to many external factors and individual manufacturing variances.

And yes.. many people trumped on and on how much better the 710T was over the 172X because of its "superior" color depth.. then when Samsung updated their website these same people vanished from this sub-forum.

<shrug> I wouldnt sweat it too much though.. the 710T is a pretty good panel as is.
Thank you very much. That's what I thought. Yeah, the 710T is really nice but the 172X would look SO good with my silver ultra flat keyboard and the Logitech MX-700 mouse. Oh well, at least the picture is good. Shame about the casing though.

Blakestr said:
Well if they are the same...what is the cheaper one? Isn't 172 X cheaper? I'm not sure
Nah, the 710T is the cheaper one. I wouldn't mind paying more just for the looks as the 172X looks sooo much better. If I only knew they used the same panel in both monitors...

You guys are very Dumb trhese 2 pannels are not the same. They have different specs

the 710T is a Cheaper a-si TFT/TN LCD
Better contrast ration Contrast Ratio: 600:1
Brightness: 300 cd/m2
710T also has Pivot
16.7 mil colors

the 172x is a more expensive a-si TFT/PVA LCD
Compared to Contrast Ratio: 500 : 1
Brightness: 270 cd/m2
16.2 mil colors

The panels are no where neer alike, the aspects that are different are what makes a good LCD and bar none the 710T wins

they dont use teh same panel, that is impossible when both monitors use totaly different technology
I bolded the uses of different technoilogy above

If it's an 18-bit panel, then how would it display 16.2 million colors?
2^18 = 262144

Am I missing something here?

Lito said:
If it's an 18-bit panel, then how would it display 16.2 million colors?
2^18 = 262144

Am I missing something here?
18-bit panels use dithering to display 16.2m colors.

That's another quirk of the 172X compared to the 710T. They aren't the exact same panel, but both are LG panels. The 710T is capable of producing 16.7 million colors while the 172X is rated to produce only 16.2 million, thus the 710T is better at color reproduction.

The 710T IS the better monitor, just not as cosmetic.

Dark Assassin

Dark Assassin said:
That's another quirk of the 172X compared to the 710T. They aren't the exact same panel, but both are LG panels. The 710T is capable of producing 16.7 million colors while the 172X is rated to produce only 16.2 million, thus the 710T is better at color reproduction.

Dark Assassin
I'm not even going to correct this. Read above numbnuts.

Dark Assassin said:

Dark Assassin
The 710T uses an 18-bit panel and therefore is NOT capable of producing 16.7 million colors. On many web sites it reads that the 710T can display 16.7m colors but that's not true. You think Samsung would be really selling the 710T cheaper than the 172X if it was really capable of displaying more colors and had a better picture overall?

no Its cheaper becouse it is a TFT/TN compared to the 172x PVA. PVA rechnology is more expenive to make, thus the reason the panel is more expensive

even if every other wbsite on the planet was wrong at it was 16.2 million colors TN technology is still alot cheaper to amke

Dark Assassin said:

Dark Assassin

:rolleyes:

and poof!!

TheGameguru said:

Isn't it true that the 710T has the power adapter built in as opposed to the 172X which has an external adapter? Would be a plus for me as I have no desire to have yet another big honkin brick hanging off the back of my desk.

Is the same true of the 710N? How's performance of the "N" compared to the "T"? It has no DVI connector, right? Does it make enough difference in performance to warrent spending the extra money?

Yes the 710T and 710N both have internal Power Supplies.. you couldnt really do that with the 172X and keep the bezel as thin as it is.

710N analog looks great.. I havent noticed any huge difference between the 710N and 710T vs Analog/DVI

Greetings!

You are the one I was looking for, TheGameguru! :)

I just received my 710N and was trying to find the best RGB, Brightness and Contrast configurations.
Would you mind posting yours configurations?

Thanks!

I just did an Auto Adjust for my 710N looks perfect.. I didnt have to tweak it much..

Somes games you may have to tweak gamma..but it depends on which game..

TheGameguru said:
Yes the 710T and 710N both have internal Power Supplies.. you couldnt really do that with the 172X and keep the bezel as thin as it is.

710N analog looks great.. I havent noticed any huge difference between the 710N and 710T vs Analog/DVI

Thanks for the info!

Back