Does tarnish affect waterblock performance?

Hello all,

I lapped my waterblock a few days ago, and it is already showing signs of tarnish. I know I can clean the block with vinegar, but does tarnish actually affect thermal performance?

Another idea I have is to use some mothers mag polish on the bottom to protect it. I've tested this in the past, and it does very well to protect against tarnish. I understand that leaving the polish on before mounting can affect thermal performance, so I'd think that a thorough cleaning with 99% isopropylalcohol would clean the base enough. What do you guys think?

lol never ask what I think, I will tell you.

Its unavoidable with bare copper and anything you do to prevent it has to leave a coating on the copper to keep out air which is the basic cause. You really do not want that coating in the area where the HS contacts the CPU.

I basically do what you are talking about for the mounting surface, I lapp it, clean it, and then do not leave it laying around and immedately mount the block. Coming back later on my Danger Den block I find the contact area where the cpu and the block meets is still shiny. The thermal paste and a good fit keep the air out and prevent tarnish. Both the white silicon paste and AS3 and AS5 work for this, I have not used anything else.

If you want to keep the sides and top pretty, use some clear lacquer or fingernail polish to protect the visible bits you want to keep shiny.

I'm going to go with yes. Probably not by much, but it's easily avoidable, so why not prevent it!

I cover mine in a thin layer of mineral oil, then I scrub down with acetone before use.

Back