Does pump speed matter?

VirtualMirage

Limp Gawd
If you have an unused port on your reservoir that comes in contact with the coolant, you can use this:
1619884655804.png

Alphacool 17364 Eiszapfen Temperature Sensor Plug​

This is what I am using to get my coolant readings and you won't need any other adapters to get it to work. And since the reservoir is your starting point of your coolant after it runs through all the radiators, that might be the best place to get your reading.

evhvis

Weaksauce
Because i would like to know/monitor the water temp going into the rad
The sensor can be fastened towards the radiator though. I have that sensor in black and have mounted it between the fitting and the radiator. Saves you two fittings and you avoid having 150 or so grams suspended on the tubing.

Fire-Fox

n00b
Too much work just for a little extra gain
20210502_130114.jpg
20210502_131329.jpg

Anyway, i have noticed that the water in the reservoir move way faster than before and so i have some doubts that maybe the Flow meter isn't giving the right numbers or maybe could be faulty.

VirtualMirage

Limp Gawd
This probably shows that your radiators are probably your biggest restrictor, but you did see improvements. Also, keep in mind, as cool as you are running already, you are reaching a point of diminishing returns. You still managed to get your coolant temp to drop .8C, your flow rate has improved by .3 L/min, and your flow flywheel (I presume) has sped up by 6 rotations a second.

Is your pump running at the same speed as before? Is it at max speed or slower?

I'd be curious to see how much the flow rate on the meter changes with different pump speeds to maybe help determine if the meter is displaying accurate numbers or not.

Lastly, while it probably doesn't create a huge impact, flow meters do restrict flow rate as well

Fire-Fox

n00b

VirtualMirage

Limp Gawd
Thinking to put it back as it was
It's ultimately your choice.

Me, personally, I think it looks better and less cluttered not using the distribution block. With the way it was laid out, I fail to see what benefit the distribution block was giving you other than more potential leak points, slightly more coolant capacity, a more cluttered look, a lower flow rate, and more work for you.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so maybe you like the way it looks or feel like its a waste having it if you don't use it. But...is there any benefit to adding it back into the loop when it comes to your current setup?

Fire-Fox

n00b
is there any benefit to adding it back into the loop when it comes to your current setup?
Not at all.
The only little gain as you mentioned slightly more coolant.
At the end i leave it as it's.
Have a question for you.
Is it worth to add a second pump?

Edit: you forgot to give me your opinion about this: I'd be curious to see how much the flow rate on the meter changes with different pump speeds to maybe help determine if the meter is displaying accurate numbers or not.

I posted some pictures for you.

Last edited:

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
Not at all.
Have a question for you.

Edit: you forgot to give me your opinion about this: I'd be curious to see how much the flow rate on the meter changes with different pump speeds to maybe help determine if the meter is displaying accurate numbers or not.

Your flow rate is fine. Go add another pump if you want to waste more money chasing diminishing returns.

Fire-Fox

n00b
Your flow rate is fine. Go add another pump if you want to waste more money chasing diminishing returns.
Was just a question, curiosity :D
I am not willing to pay 130€ for another pump+res combo.
I am done messing with this Build, only thing i will do is to re-apply the thermal paste, then i am done for good

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
Was just a question, curiosity :D
I am not willing to pay 130€ for another pump+res combo.
I am done messing with this Build, only thing i will do is to re-apply the thermal paste, then i am done for good
I know the feeling trying to get everything right. I did the same crap with my first wc loop. It took a lot of wasted money before I realized wtf am I doing. I spend more time dicking around with the loop then enjoying the system.

Fire-Fox

n00b
It took a lot of wasted money before I realized wtf am I doing. I spend more time dicking around with the loop then enjoying the system.
Exactly what i have been doing lately.
I have built lot of Watercooling system and never had issues but this time things didn't go as planned:banghead: We're not perfect and mistake happens.
This build is just 5 months old.
I have been thinking for future Watercooling system I'll use tubing with bigger diameter.

VirtualMirage

Limp Gawd
Not at all.
Have a question for you.

I can't say whether or not the flow rates are accurate, but we are seeing a consistent change in flow rate based on the revolutions per second it is recording, which is roughly between .043-.045 liters/min for every 1 revolution per second. Your coolant temps, which I assume showing are at idle, don't seem to change much unless the pump is running at max speed. Which even then it only drops by .7-.8c, not a huge difference. Where it will be interesting to see is what your max coolant temps (as well as peak CPU and GPU temps) end up at varying speeds when under an extended load, since that will be more important. That's what you should be chasing. If you find the difference between the lower flow rates and the higher flow rates is minimal, then you may be best to set your pump at a slower speed instead of eating up more power, creating more noise, creating more heat (from the pump), and shortening the life of your pump.

What we can confirm is that you do have consistent movement of coolant. Increasing pump speed usually doesn't provide as much of a cooling benefit than increasing fans speeds or adding more fans to the radiators.

lobstar

Limp Gawd
Just a reminder that with modern blocks higher pressure helps since water channels are very small. Water flow and water pressure are not the same thing. I'm running three pumps: 2x D5 Serial and a little giant aquarium pump. Each setup alone provides more than 3 lpm of flow. Together they only reach 4.9 lpm. However, the little giant provides MUCH better cooling than the D5s as they primarily serve to increase the flow through my high-flow radiators after the pressure drop of my high-restriction waterblocks. Generally speaking the location of various components doesn't make any difference however the one thing that does change in a closed loop is the pressure head through restrictions. My setup that drops my water temp the quickest and keeps the components cooler is reservoir -> LG pump -> optimus gpu block -> optimus cpu block -> RAM water block -> serial D5s -> 2x 480 monstas -> EK monoblock (second system) -> MORA3 420 -> (back to reservoir). Obviously I have long runs of tubing and many more blocks and quick disconnects than most but it was interesting to see how different pump combos and locations ultimately changed the performance of my loop.