Does Netflix Have a Blu-ray Disc-Cracking Problem?

I've received 1 BR disc cracked about a year ago. Nothing since, and I've been doing the Soprano's series on BR lately.

I have had the BD option since they started offering it and from about 5-10 movies a week I have recieved one cracked BD. I have also recieved 1 or 2 regular DVD's cracked as well.

I just started Netflix w/ Blu Ray. Out of about 8 disks, no cracks but I couldn't play about 7 minutes of the directors cut on one movie. The normal version was fine.

This must be a local issue as I've never had a cracked DVD or blu-ray either.

We have had a couple with cracks. The biggest thing that we find is filthy disks that won't play until they are cleaned. Thats all we have seen.

about the same here. ive had netflix with blu-ray for basically two years, started out with 2 out at a time then went to 3.

i just looked at my rental history and ive had 7 discs reported as "damaged" from me...i only remember two discs ever being cracked. the others were just gouged/scratched and were unplayable.

ive gotten 293 movies since joining...

i'd say thats a pretty good track record.

I just started Netflix w/ Blu Ray. Out of about 8 disks, no cracks but I couldn't play about 7 minutes of the directors cut on one movie. The normal version was fine.

that didnt happen to be Chronicles of Riddick, was it? the disc was found to be bad from universal.

it seemed to be a crapshoot whether the disc would play the directors cut or not...i returned my first copy because of the issue and my exchange worked just fine and it was from the same store.

Steve, I wonder if your question would get more definitive answers if people would identify their region or area when responding to this thread. i.e. "I live in eastern Michigan and have only had one cracked disc in my last 50+ Netflix BR rentals."

Personally, I only do DVD's and from Redbox, so I dont have issues. Well actually, last night I got Benjamin Buttons and was forced to return it this morning. No problem with cracks, the movie just sucked ass.

I've never had a cracked BD come from Netflix. I've had several unplayable DVDs (including a broken one) since I joined Netflix back in 02 but never a problem with BD.

I blame Kyle for this ; )... Hardocp pushed Blu-Ray when it should have been championing the better technology HD-DVD. HD discs are much more resilient than the Blu-Ray's and they cost less to make as well.

:D

Yeah, I love inferior technology too. I'd love to have to boil my discs (like I had to boil certain plastic parts of my old RC Truck prior to assembly) to get them to work :D

Don't have time to read all the posts in this thread, (ATM) but I personally noticed that when we moved, our netflix disc went down hill rapidly. I personally think its a local PO issue.

I've rented a couple dozen or so BDs. Most, if not all of them, were nearly flawless. Not a single fingerprint, or scratch on them. It was a breath of fresh air, after having seen countless scratched and worn DVDs, with the ocassional cracked/unplayable ones from time to time.

I tried using BD from netflix once. I got 4 cracked discs in a row and complained to netflix. They said to call the post office and complain. Canceled the BD part of my subscription the next day.

The issue with cracked bluray is not exclusive to netflix - I have had several cracked bluray discs arrive with my blockbuster subscription. The crack(s) are very small, you will only notice after careful inspection - which I would only do after noticing some problems playing the disc. For a while I was getting about 50% with cracks (about 4 months ago) but now I only occasionally get a cracked disc. Not sure if anything was changed with the handling of the movies.

Havent noticed any problems with my BR disks; that is i havent had any playback issues and i wasnt looking for tiny cracks.

One christmas i kept getting snapped / broken disks contiously for over a month due to the holiday catalogs and such, that sucked. Probably 12 broken disks in a row.

I've never gotten a cracked DVD since 2005, and never a cracked blu-ray since October of 2008. I've been good so far!

A friend has been a member of netfix for a few years, and she had not had a broken disk in probably 100 movies (4-6 a month at ~2 per week) then when she moved she started getting broken disks, apparently it was where her mail is located in the mail person's tote box, because after moving she was at the end of the route (last or next to last stop) and the disks are about half the height of the tote box in the mail truck. and when placed in the tote sorted they have to ride almost all day with the mail smashing the disk on the top lip of the tote box.

I found I can cut a disk in 1/3's (not a DVD movie from netfix or else where) but a CD disk, which I can hand fold in half before breaking, but when rapidly pressed to a hard edge with the side of my fist I can cut a disk in half, thirds, quarters or almost any other shape.
the break is almost clean, I experimented with the edge of my desk, out of boredom one night, now I have it to a science, and can break coasters down to stuff into prepaid return envelopes, 5-6 disks per envelope and they get charged for oversized and overweight return shipping for their unrequested credit card forms, the USPS is needing the money and why not charge the companies for their marketing.

Only been a netflix member since early this year. No cracked discs of any type. Only issue I've had with BD is software related.

I pretty much only get Blu-ray and in the last 18 months have only had one cracked disk and one unplayable scratched disk. That is less than a 2% failure for disks being mailed in non riggid holders. Not too bad really.

The big issue I have is actually getting new release Blu-ray. I get movies sometimes 10 movies down my list. It has improved a small amount, but only because I am watching less right now and there are much less good movies out.

Eh, a little ironic that with my source for Blu-rays, the only ones that play fine are the ones that are cracked...

I've been renting BD ever since the HD vs Blu-Ray wars were going, and I've only received one cracked disc. All I rent now is on Blu-ray with zero issues.

ive gotten BD disks that are unplayable but the surface seems perfect (maybe about 5 out of 100) but no cracked disks... when i request they send me another disk of the same movie that one has always been ok...

im more interested in knowing why the perfectly fine looking disks were unplayable

usually the perfectly fine ones are unplayable due to half ass pressing jobs.. so they are damaged discs but not due to physical damage.. just make sure you put on the thing that it doesnt play before you return it so that netflix can throw the movie away so no one else ends up receiving it..

I had one DVD cracked, but no Blu's. Weird. Of course, the US Mail isn't exactly the most reliable, take care of your stuff, company out there....

I live in SoCal and at least 80% of my blu ray discs have had a little crack in the corner (always the same size and in the same spot) that causes them to be unplayable. I have never once had a DVD unplayable from Netflix in the 7 years I've been a subscriber. I think Netflix might need to enhance their packaging a bit for blu ray discs or else this just isn't going to work. :confused:

Been a Netflix subscriber for many years, started getting HD media as soon as it was available. First HD-DVDs, then Blu Rays... easily have had hundreds delivered to me, only had one not play.. and it wasn't cracked.. just a bad disk. Netflix sent me another copy of it right away and it worked perfectly.

I live in SoCal and at least 80% of my blu ray discs have had a little crack in the corner (always the same size and in the same spot) that causes them to be unplayable.
I didn't have that bad of luck, but I was getting an unusual number of unplayable BD. Nearly every disc (DVD or BD) was coming from Santa Ana. I cancelled the blu ray portion of my subscription partly from the bad discs and party from the price increase.

I'm looking at the Harold and Kumar disc I got today and there's a spot of some kind of resin-like material in the data area near the outer edge. Seriously.

I live in SoCal and at least 80% of my blu ray discs have had a little crack in the corner (always the same size and in the same spot) that causes them to be unplayable. I have never once had a DVD unplayable from Netflix in the 7 years I've been a subscriber. I think Netflix might need to enhance their packaging a bit for blu ray discs or else this just isn't going to work. :confused:

80% of 4? Need a total number otherwise that percentage is meaningless.

Never one bad disk and I have been getting blu rays since they started offering them.

I have been with Netflix off and on since 2000 or so, my disc rental history is a good 600+ and I have seen maybe 1 or 2 cracked discs in all. Since I added blu-ray and HD-DVD to my account, I have had problems with neither. I've only gone through maybe 30-40 blu-rays, but no problems for me.

I can't comment on BD but in a little over a year with Net Flix, I have had 2 cracked DVDs and several that were unplayable.

Steve, I wonder if your question would get more definitive answers if people would identify their region or area when responding to this thread. i.e. "I live in eastern Michigan and have only had one cracked disc in my last 50+ Netflix BR rentals."

Personally, I only do DVD's and from Redbox, so I dont have issues. Well actually, last night I got Benjamin Buttons and was forced to return it this morning. No problem with cracks, the movie just sucked ass.

Yeah, maybe we should have a City/State poll added for those with cracked BD issues. Would help point the finger at the USPS offices that are cracking discs.

Discs have corners? :eek:

Equipment/employee differences. Some people don't care.

"...sometimes it says, like, "Photographs - Do not bend".
"Do not bend". (Laughs evilly) Just crease, crumple, cram.."

I've been receiving Blu-rays since they started and haven't noticed a major cracking issue. Pretty much on par with DVDs. However, they are susceptible to the least mark on their surface. Even a minor scratch can make them unplayable and I have had several freeze up from a fingerprint. I never had that much trouble with a DVD.

Back