Does intel create their own mobo's?

Scotch77

Gawd
Does Intel make their own motherboards or are they contracted out to another company? I ask because the top of the line z77 intel looks almost exactly like the top of the line MSI

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Intel boards are made by Foxconn.

I know Foxconn like many other companies functions as a manufactuer of other companies products which is fine. I am more looking for are the products actually designed by Intel.

For example HP calculators, once an amazing product are now handled completely out of house and just branded HP. Kinpo makes them as well as other brands http://www.kinpo.com.tw/English/product_consumer_1.html

So I am wondering if intel does the same thing or the design is actually theirs.

The most of the intel boards are designed in house at least the first run of all of the new socket launches are. We get pre-production samples at work all the time to mess with and they are most certainly designed by intel. Refreshes may not be though can't say for sure.

The most of the intel boards are designed in house at least the first run of all of the new socket launches are. We get pre-production samples at work all the time to mess with and they are most certainly designed by intel. Refreshes may not be though can't say for sure.

I am considering one of their Z77 boards because everybody eleses offerings look so grim.

I am considering one of their Z77 boards because everybody eleses offerings look so grim.

Grim? How so if you don't mind me asking, as in what do you consider so grim. Bad addons, bad controllers, bad build quality, poor performance, higher than normal failures?

Just curious, because I have messed around with MSI Asrock Intel and Asus for all the z77 stuff so far and none of them seem to be bad to me.

You might want to check the reviews on newegg/amazon on the intel boards as well. All of high end z77 boards provide similar functionality/features. Where they differentiate themselves is UEFI/aesthetics/layout/warranty

Grim? How so if you don't mind me asking, as in what do you consider so grim. Bad addons, bad controllers, bad build quality, poor performance, higher than normal failures?

Just curious, because I have messed around with MSI Asrock Intel and Asus for all the z77 stuff so far and none of them seem to be bad to me.

It seems the top of the line Gigabyte and Asrock boards all suffer from random freezing issues when used with ivy bridge. Just on the from page here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1692876

Asus has good looking boards but are super expensive for what you get and their support is awful. I have experience with their support and the posts even here on the front page tell all one would need to know. Gigabytes support is no better and they don't even offer advanced rma's on their top of the line boards.

MSI may be an exeption which is why they are on my short list along with Intel.

Above performance and features comes customer service. It's more important because when the board fails either you wait a few days to get a replacement or a few months. I would rather a few days. Stability is an issue too. Unusable boards shouldn't be released and now it's almost a month later with no bios updates.

I'd still buy an Asus board six times before I'd buy one MSI board. Having had to use both Asus's and MSI's RMA depts. over the years, I'll use Asus unless forced with a gun to my head to buy an MSI.

I'd still buy an Asus board six times before I'd buy one MSI board. Having had to use both Asus's and MSI's RMA depts. over the years, I'll use Asus unless forced with a gun to my head to buy an MSI.

What was so bad about MSI?

The reviews said MSI was stepping it up as late, but Asus has that rock solid rep. I'd still go Asus ROG myself. Love those ROG boards to bits. They always have more than I need, look nice, and have a great bios. Asus always does great RMAs if you need them as well. Had two boards fixed for free in recent years.

The reviews said MSI was stepping it up as late, but Asus has that rock solid rep. I'd still go Asus ROG myself. Love those ROG boards to bits. They always have more than I need, look nice, and have a great bios. Asus always does great RMAs if you need them as well. Had two boards fixed for free in recent years.

Acyually, here in the US, only their West Coast facility has reasonably good RMA customer service. Their Jeffersonville, IN RMA center is a completely different story, unfortunately.

On the other hand, Intel does design its own motherboards. However, it subcontracts their manufacture to a number of different companies, including (but not limited to) Foxconn, Pegatron, etc.

Last edited:
Back