Does formatting damage an SSD?

oblongpolygon

Weaksauce
A quick, simple question, for those in the know...

Does formatting an SSD, particularly when using "Reset this PC" function, damage the SSD?

I'm interested in the "Reset this PC" function in particular has any adverse affects on an SSD, because this is how I will be formatting the SSD...

Or... if "damage" is overstating it, then is formatting no different than any other use of an SSD?

The "Reset this PC" function is found in Windows 10 by clicking... Start > Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Reset this PC...

Formatting a drive won't hurt a drive, regardless of the type of drive. Doesn't matter if it's performed from the command line, third party software, or Windows.

The only concern is write cycles to the SSD reducing life by a small amount during a full format but a quick format doesn't do squat to them. I believe a reset to the OS just does a quick format and then wipes out windows so you're only looking at 10-15GB of writes. Pretty miniscule to their lifetime.

The only concern is write cycles to the SSD reducing life by a small amount during a full format but a quick format doesn't do squat to them. I believe a reset to the OS just does a quick format and then wipes out windows so you're only looking at 10-15GB of writes. Pretty miniscule to their lifetime.

This.

Wouldn't do full write reformats or safe wipes unless absolutely necessary!

A slow format will wear the nad down, probably wont be direct damage but over time it will impact it.

The occasional format is fine. It's defragging that wears down the life cycle.

You'll have passed it on to your folks or upgraded twice already before it's an issue.

A full format is handy to refresh the format on magnetic drives.
It serves no positive purpose on an SSD that I know of.

Back