Does external sound cards like x-fi hd or live 5.1 can be powered without pc ?

HiCZoK

Gawd
As in topic.
Can those (or some other devices like that) be connected let's say to xbox360 and work as amp ?

I want a device thanks to which I could have my 360 and pc connected at the same time to headphones and speakers. x-fi hd and live 5.1 pro, have all the connections, but both are powered by usb and require drivers on pc to work.

But my question is, can those work from any other usb, just to be powered and work as an amp ? I can understand that dac would not function as it is created for pc and need drivers.

am I missing something? I jsut want everything on my desk connected to one box, so I wouldnt have to swtich cables etc all the time.

Look into Fiio amps. I don't know which particular one will do what you want, but they have a whole line of stuff that is generally highly regarded. I got a Fiio E6 to connect my IEMs (in-ear headphones) to my TV.

If you want to listen to multiple sources at a time, get a mixer. If you just want to switch between them, get an A/V switch (you can find good enough switches for $20 or probably even less) or a receiver (even if it's an older model, as long as it works, it will do). With a mixer you need some sort of amp as well, could be something small like a T-amp or, again, a receiver. I don't see how FiiO's products fit into this thread.

Or I suppose the cheap way out is to run the Xbox audio out into your PC's line in, and then you can listen to it/control the volume through your PC, but then your PC has to be on to get Xbox audio.

Back