Does ATI not do forced AA/AF?

Frangible

Limp Gawd
Recently, I upgraded from a GeForce 6800GT to a Radeon x1950 Pro. While the card is much faster, none of the "forced" AA/AF settings are working in older games (tried: Planetside, EverQuest, Vampire Bloodlines, Deus Ex 2). I've even created Catalyst Control Center profiles with AA/AF and bound them to hotkeys; while there is a long pause indicating the key bind worked, AA/AF is never enabled.

I don't really understand this, as with the NVidia card I could easily force AA/AF in all of these apps.

I'm running whatever drivers are current on ATI's site.

Any ideas? Have ATI cards ever been able to force AA/AF on older apps?

ATI definitely has the option to force AA/AF, although I've never tried it with older games. The only thing I can think of - try messing with the Catalyst A.I. setting. If it's "Off" set it to "Low" (or vice versa) and see if that works.

It definitely works for older games.

Try reinstalling your drivers and don't use things like ATITOOL OR ATT. Use CCC and turn it from there.

For some reason when I use ATITOOL or ATT along with CCC it messes up AF and AA settings and make everything into default or just messes up my settings.

So I just flashed my bios instead and stay away from those programs.

Forcing AF seems to be working with all my games, but forcing AA is another thing. I have given up and have set AA on "application chooses". Basicly I force AF with CCC and set AA ingame.

I've actually found that the most recent version of ATT does a better job at enforcing settings than later versions (7.1+) of the CCC.

Using ATT is the only way I could get AF to work at all in Oblivion, for instance, but AA+HDR is still a no go for me.

simple/dumb mistake, but i assume you guys are remembering to hit the apply button after you change settings?

I have had some trouble getting the forced settings to work before, but mainly when it is a hot fix (such as the hdr chuck patch). Otherwise I've always gone through the CCC and never had problems. Something that got the chuck patch to work for me was changing the setting, hitting apply, then change the setting back to what you want, hit apply again, then open the program. Maybe this will work?

double check you have selected the "Use Custom Settings" on the front of the 3d settings in the CC..

i was goign crazy until i figured out you have to have this checked..

if not none of your settings are really getting changed..

in the CC its on the +3D->Standard Settings tab

I just did a new install and am using 7.4 and CCC and my AA setting 4AA was not being used by America's Army. I had the use custom checked.

I need to find the old control panel and get rid of CCC, its just a PoS.

ANY combination of settings in CCC simply fails to work for me.

I downloaded ATT and it worked for a while. Now it stopped working, and AA/AF are always not working as usual.

I really regret buying ATI. I could have had decent framerates with things looking ugly with my old NVidia card. And the NVidia drivers were at least solid.

I"ve had the same issue with CCC, so I don't install it at all and use ATT only and it works for me. I have many profiles for ATT and they all work when I apply them.

Something happened with 7.4 CCC because I did two systems for freinds last month using 7.3 and it worked perfectly.

As I said, I went and grabbed the 6.8 w/CP and removed the CCC. Reinstalled 7.4 driver, with 6.8 CP and 7.4 WDM and everything is working perfectly, AA/AF settings all exactly where I told them to be.

No doubt CCC will get fixed in 7.5 soon.

Back