Does ASUS have any plans to release microcode bios updates for Z77?

Reality

[H]ard|Gawd
Saw that Intel is patching IvyBridge for Spectre/Meltdown but it's up to the board manufacturers to release the appropriate patched BIOS so you can actually use the new microcode by Intel

I purchased the Asus Maximus V Extreme brand new for almost $360, and recently saw that Asus has no plans on releasing a patched bios for this board. What the fk man.

Good way to keep me as a customer.

Saw that Intel is patching IvyBridge for Spectre/Meltdown but it's up to the board manufacturers to release the appropriate patched BIOS so you can actually use the new microcode by Intel

I purchased the Asus Maximus V Extreme brand new for almost $360, and recently saw that Asus has no plans on releasing a patched bios for this board. What the fk man.

As much as we hate to admit it, Ivy Bridge is seven years old now. There has to be a cutoff point somewhere...

I'd think the microcode updates will get rolled into Windows as software level patches at some point if they haven't been already. It's not quite as good or permanent as a BIOS level patch, but should still do the job.

So, you're going to fault a motherboard manufacturer for not updating the bios to a 6 year old motherboard? Certainly not enough to boycott the brand...

1. Who else are you going to buy from that will update the board 6 years down the line? Nobody. Asus usually keeps supporting boards the longest. I even got a NVMe support on my Sabertooth 990FX board years after the fact for example.
2. This is really Intel's fault. Intel's negligence caused a lot of manufacturers to be forced to dedicate resources to patching. I doubt Intel is reimbursing them for their time.
3. No one really could have foreseen 6 years ago that Intel would have been resting easy and not releasing an updated CPU significantly better than the 3770k. I guarantee when Asus released that board, they didn't intend to support it longer than 5 years tops.

I have an Asus X99 Deluxe/USB 3.1 that they have yet to issue a new Bios for.
Next new build will be anything except Asus because of this!

And people think companies will issue new bios for Ryzen 2 and later am4 cpu later on. It is typical of all MB manufacturer to EoL boards after 2 years.

Intel put out the updates. It's just up to them to incorporate them. Intel stepped up to the plate for generations a lot older than we are talking about here. This is abusing a customer base who has paid a significant sum into this company over the years. It takes a very long time to earn a reputation and truly only a tiny space of time to alienate your base of customers and lose your market. Furthermore, it will be the highest end that will suffer the first cut - as buyers who even return are less likely to spend any more than necessary. I can't see this being good for Asus in the long term and since Intel wrote all the bios code they need to incorporate - Asus could be doing a much better job. Perhaps this is the sign there is nothing left to the company already.

Back