Does apple cheap out with the iPods?

Kelv

Limp Gawd
Last iPod I bought was a 3g, I guess I'll pick up a iTouch 16gb but it seems like Apple doesn't put as much quality into selling their product. First of all, the old boxes are interesting and unique, I still have it in my closet. The new one is closer to the crappy plastic containers that have to be cut open. Also, they used to come with cases, they weren't the best but it was still nice. It also came with a nice docking station. Apple isn't the kind of company that should be cutting design corners. Their presentation is what makes them unique. Anyone else have similar thoughts? It's not going to stop me from purchasing it (which is probably why they don't care) but it's not the same as seeing a quality product being delivered in a quality package.

Those plastic containers are only for alternate retail stores like target, wal-mart and so on. They still make nice cardboard cases. I don't like that iPods don't come with power bricks anymore, but I like my touch quite a bit.

its all about saving money for the most part. with the plastic cases they come in now and the type of sticker they use to seal the edges, the stores know if you open the case or not. for the rest like the case and what not, I understand what your talking about, its just like the psp, when it first came out, it came with a carrying strap and a neoprene sleeve but not anymore... its all an effort to keep their price competitive against the competitors.

Those plastic containers are only for alternate retail stores like target, wal-mart and so on. They still make nice cardboard cases. I don't like that iPods don't come with power bricks anymore, but I like my touch quite a bit.

The iPod Shuffle and Nano always come in plastic cases. I believe this is so Apple can show off how thin they are. They've been doing this since the 2nd Generation Nano. The Classic and Touch used to come in a nice solid box, but I haven't seen the recent models.

Honestly, they pretty much just come with headphones now. I never liked the sleeves that Apple included because they were too cheap. It sucks that they don't include an A/C or dock adapter anymore, but I understand that they do that to keep costs down.

Either way, the products themselves are nice, I think Apple just realized that they could make a lot more money selling the accessories separately.

what box does the touch come in? the iPhone came in a nice cardboard box (that I'm keeping) with the documentation, headphones, etc, all neatly wrapped and packaged nicely. around launch they even put it all in fancy bags.

it was cool.

:)

I have no idea about the 2G Touch, but I was quite pleased to see that my 1G Touch came in a nice, well-decorated and elegant looking cardboard box. Then again, it should have for $399!

The new 2nd gen Touch comes in a plastic package.

The 1st gen one came in a nice box that was about 1/4" smaller than the iPhone box.

Could care less personally... Their design aesthetic has never meant zilch to me. There's been plenty of other sexy well-built MP3 players that didn't come from Cupertino. Even if you ignore features and go off usability and design, the iPod's hasn't always been the king of the hill either. My Rio Carbon was much sleeker than the original Mini's imo.

The Shuffle has always been the biggest rip-off I can fanthom when it comes to consumer electronics... There's like half a dozen other competing players that are the same size and pack extra stuff (like, hello, a freaking screen, USB plug right on the device, better battery or use of AAA's, etc), usually while being cheaper to boot.

Apple gets by on PR and certain concepts of community as much as it does on design. Fanboism if you wanna boil it down.

That being said, I'm still getting a Touch soon, heh... There's no other media player that's as small while having such a nice screen, browser, and development base.

Back