Does Anyone Actually Want A Curved Monitor?

You know its better because of the way Cinerama stuck and never went away.

I have a curved 48" 4K Samsung JS9000.

It's a great screen, and the curve is nice, but I'm not sure it really makes anything more immersive. The curve is rather slight.

If anything it helps with viewing angle distortions when sitting so close to a huge screen.

Only seen them in stores, no real experience with them. I don't want one.

If I used one for a week or two, I'd probably be pissed when I had to go back to the old screen, but right now - I don't care for them.

Zarathustra[H];1042080014 said:
I have a curved 48" 4K Samsung JS9000.

It's a great screen, and the curve is nice, but I'm not sure it really makes anything more immersive. The curve is rather slight.

If anything it helps with viewing angle distortions when sitting so close to a huge screen.

Same display here and for desktop usage I think it makes a big difference.

Those of you who actually own one can sound off. Do they truly provide a more immersive experience? Distortion is reportedly subtle, but that kind of thing still worries me as someone who dabbles in design.

… These are nice, often IPS, screens. Some are able to hit a 99 percent Adobe color gamut, making them accurate enough for photo editing work. Some have high refresh rates. Others offer a great 3440x1440 resolution (although you'll need a high-end graphics card to play games on those). But the curve is what makes these screens flashy and new, and is what's being used to justify the premium prices.

I think you have to think about this question in two different contexts. You have to consider the usage of a curved display as a monitor and as a TV separately. As a monitor there is no real distortion. The curve is subtle enough that you really don't notice it. If your close enough it gives a partial illusion of the screen / game environment filling up all of your vision. When you sit at the right distance, I think it makes for an incredibly immersive experience. I think the corners are a little bit closer to your eyes making those easier to focus on when you need to vs. a flat screen. You people with perfect eyes may not find this to be the case however.

As a television I think curved monitors are an absolute gimmick. The curve is subtle, but substantial enough to create image geometry distortion at any position other than the center view of it. There is a little leeway here as the curve is again subtle so it's not too distracting unless you sit at more extreme angles, off to one side or the other. Think about this, at one point we had tons of televisions which had convex screens. That is to say, they were curved outwards. I despised those screens because they distorted the image. I paid extra back in the day for Sony Trinitron TV's because they were as close to flat as you could get.

Essentially I think the curve is beneficial to a monitor and a detractor with regards to TVs. In either case the difference between curved and flat displays is marginal at best so either way you can't go wrong. I say this as someone who has a 48" Samsung curved TV for a monitor and a 65" curved Samsung TV in the home theatre room. I've also got a 55" LG TV in the living room I watch general content on. I have a 42" plasma in the bedroom as well. So I have a total of two TVs that are flat and two that are curved. I use all of these displays frequently.

Curved monitors make more sense than curved TVs. The curve is so gradual that when you're sitting 8-10 feet away, even on a 65"+ screen you will hardly notice it. On a monitor that sits inches to a foot away, it's fairly noticeable (in a good way).

Agreed.

Quix, are you like some of the others here and have three curved monitors in eyefinity and run titles in eyefinity?

And can you explain why you see a "possibly justifiable advantage to high-refresh rate displays"?

Now I have not seen a curved eyefinity setup so I can't judge, but I would think that it would have a far greater impact then high-refresh rate displays.

Let me explain, I am one of those guys who starts building a system from the display first. Once I know what my display resolution is going to be, and I look at the software, I can determine the rest of the system requirements. If you don't begin by determining your usage requirements you aren't starting from the right spot.

That's why on my last build I decided that 1080P is going to remain my display resolution for awhile yet. Pushing past that was just much more expensive then I cared to commit to.

I agree with others, curved displays for TVs that are several feet away from the couch have lost my attention. But curved gaming monitors, that's another story. But I will not spend the money to properly deploy this technology yet because it just costs more then I am willing to pay for it.

I imagine that before long they will integrate two or three panels into a single curved display with seamless joints so that for all practical purposes you have a perfect ultra-wide curved viewing surface that is exceptional for gaming. When that costs the equivelent of $800 or less in todays dollars I'll consider it. But not now when you would need to spend $900 on monitors, $500 on graphix cards, and another $200 on a PSU. It's just not worth another $700+ to me.

I would love to have a curved monitor. At work i have three 23" monitors set up in a "curved" arrangement. It would be nice to have one big curved monitor.
At home, i have a samsung 55" curved uhd monitor, and as someone said that many people dont notice its even curved unless they are within 5 ft of it.

Zarathustra[H];1042080137 said:
I barely botice it, but to be fair, I've never sat this close to a flat 48" screen, so I don't know what that would have been like without the curve.

Previous largest monitor was my 30" 2560x1600 Dell U3011

Actually, for desktop usage, I wish it were curved more.

Went from a BenQ 32" 2560x1440 to Samsung 40" 4K curved TV. The BenQ felt way too big and I almost regretted buying something even bigger but the strange thing is, 40" on a curved screen doesn't feel bigger than the 32". I actually like it more and feel like I'm not missing anything from the sides.

Zarathustra[H];1042080480 said:
Well, that's kind of my point.

I feel like it is so slightly curved that I barely notice it.

Fair enough. I noticed it greatly when I first started using it. I don't notice as much now, but if I try to sit as close as I do when using my PC to a normal 40+ inch flat format TV, I definitely prefer the curve.

I think a few degrees MORE curve, though, would be nice on a PC monitor.

I thought that was the point of the curve to begin with, for it to feel more natural and releave eye strain as the focal distance isn't as different as a flay panel is.

I too wonder if they shouldn't be curved more.

Well, based on the discussions here and the fact that Dell was doing a 25% off sale I rolled the dice on a 34" Ultrawide ... looking forward to giving it a go next month :D

Well obviously, I am not sure how many of these Samsung thought it would sell as "monitors." More curved for a TV is stupid...actually curved at all for a TV in my opinion is stupid. I would never buy a curved TV...for a TV.

Heh. When I was playing with my Acer 27" FreeSync monitor after using the Samsung for so long, the Acer started to feel like it was reverse-curved. Like the monitor was convex instead of flat. I notice it a little bit on my work monitors as well. They're flat but seem convex. The curved one seems "normal" to me now.

Back