-(Xyphox)-
Supreme [H]ardness
- Joined
- Sep 9, 2004
- Messages
- 6,518
texuspete00 said:Good one. I see all those certs are coming in handy!!!!!!!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
texuspete00 said:Good one. I see all those certs are coming in handy!!!!!!!
-(Xyphox)- said:dont forget my MBA
![]()
There are at least half a dozen of these out there, so stop trying to pull the "Intel rigged it" line.DariusVE said:Wait for a real Conroe Test Drive, not the "closed" presentation where the attendants only saw what the Intel presentators want to show.
Nope, the FX line price will remain exactly where they alwsys are 827US for the 2nd model, 1031US for the 1st model.Donnie27 said:No, they're supposed to match Intel prices to the nearest GHz or just below them. So FX-62 will still cost about $600, just an est. AMD will still try to sell FX-64 for the same $1000 as the E6800. Sweet deal might be on the FX-60 if you can find one.
Your wrong that's not even remotely an opinion, that is false data, Intel outperfomed AMD in the Northwood C days. As well, before the Athlon came around AMD was hadly a force to become reckoned with.-(Xyphox)- said:AMD's have IMO always out performed Intel and that will not change,
That's AMD's choice, with Intel you want to upgrade your memory you buy a new motherboard, for AMD you buy a new processor.BoogerBomb said:It all depends on what memory the K8L is supposed to use. I think AM2 is for DDR2 and AM3 is supposed to be for DDR3. It sucks having to buy a new CPU to upgrade your memory.
If AMD !!!!!!s wish to have their heads buried in the sand until the very end, let them, makes it that much harder to accept.InorganicMatter said:There are at least half a dozen of these out there, so stop trying to pull the "Intel rigged it" line.
Is K8L supposed to use socket AM2, and then K9 uses this rumored AM3? I'm confused![]()
The mobile sucessor to Merom is called Penryn, Wolfdale is 45nm sucessor to Allendale.EternityZX9 said:Well, from forum browsing to reading information from dailytech, digitimes, HPEC, anandtech, and various other sites, this is the sum of the "information" that I have gathered over that past few weeks:
AMD Roadmap
1. Q4 2006 - Q1 2007 - Desktops / Dual Core / AM2 Brisbane (transition to 65nm parts)
2. Mid 2007 - Servers / Quad Core / Deerhound
3. Q4 2007 - 2008 - Desktops / Quad Core / Greyhound
4. 2008 - Desktops / Dual Core / AM3 (First K8L part)
Intel Roadmap
1. Q4 2006 - Mobile / Dual Core / Allendale
2. Q1 2007 - Desktops / Quad Core / Kentsfield
3. Q4 2007 - 2008 - Mobile / Dual Core / Wolfdale (45nm Transition)
4. Q4 2007 - 2008 - Desktop / Dual Core / Ridgefield ( 45nm part successor to Conroe)
5. Late 2008 - Desktop / Quad Core / Bloomfield (successor to Kentsfield)
Note that this information is just the sum of what I have read online, some of it is fact, some speculation, so stuff is always subject to change. Please feel free to change dates and information if you find it incongruent from what I have found.
I don't want to start spreading misleading information![]()
And to the point:
As much as an avid AMD fan that I am, I'm not a blind fanatic, and with how things are shaping up it looks like Conroe will be the chip for a while to come, just like AMD's Athlon64's were a few years ago. Personally, imho, those playing the "wait-and-see" game might as well get on the "Conroe train" because I don't see any "solid" competition for Intel's new processor for a while to come.
...unless the 65nm transformation to Brisbane or 4x4 does miracles for AMD.![]()
The mobile sucessor to Merom is called Penryn, Wolfdale is 45nm sucessor to Allendale.
Allendale isn't mobile it's slated for desktop.EternityZX9 said:Yes, I know, my mistakes in typing all that out![]()
Allendale isn't mobile it's slated for desktop. Wolfdale is not the 45nm sucessor of Conroe, it actually has less cache (3MB), Ridgefield is the true sucessor of Conroe since it acutally has more cache which make sense on Intel transistions.
Yes, it very hard to weed out the truth sometimes.EternityZX9 said:Fixed, I was getting so confused reading all those websites. A lot of conflicting information.![]()
Well actually, Intel made a chipset that natively supported DDR and DDR2, but it never was big because the world embraced DDR2 so quickly that there was no need for a dual memory chipset.Sabrewulf165 said:I haven't paid much attention to Intel stuff before Core/Core 2 came around, but I'm pretty sure Intel's switch to DDR2 required a new socket, and thus a new CPU. Seriously, that BS about the onboard memory controller was just Intel marketing FUD. I can't believe anyone buys into that kind of thing.
InorganicMatter said:Well actually, Intel made a chipset that natively supported DDR and DDR2, but it never was big because the world embraced DDR2 so quickly that there was no need for a dual memory chipset.
Well you should wait til 2008 if you want a K8L processor.InorganicMatter said:There are at least half a dozen of these out there, so stop trying to pull the "Intel rigged it" line.
Is K8L supposed to use socket AM2, and then K9 uses this rumored AM3? I'm confused![]()
The article claims that socket AM3 K8L parts are due in 2008. That makes perfect sense as socket AM3 will not be out until around then. The article you link to says nothing about the time at which socket AM2 K8L parts will arrive.
Well the switch to LGA775 was more to address power requirements then for DDR2 itself.Sabrewulf165 said:I didn't know that, but unless it was a dual socket board, my point is still validNot like you'd gain much from using DDR2 with a 478 chip anyway.
Well K8L is still fairly far away so accurate information is going to be sparse at best, as well, though I don't expect a desktop derivative of K8L till 2008. Servers will likely arrive first in Mid 2007.EternityZX9 said:True, after re-reading some of the websites again, this is very possible - actually, I hope it does happen, because then AMD might have competition for Conroe, but it still gives Conroe a years headstart.
coldpower27 said:The memory controller for Intel is not tied directly to Sockets, they can switch to a new memory type without changing the Socket.
Form a consumer standpoint I agree with you, if your going to upgrade your memory to a new type you might as well upgrade the entire platform CPU and motherboard included.Sabrewulf165 said:Yeah, it *COULD* be done, but you're missing what I'm getting at. If you're moving to a new type of memory, you're almost always going to be buying a new CPU anyway, and even if you're not, you probably won't gain much from it anyway (AM2 being a perfect example of this)
Also (and I say this somewhat in jest, so no flames please) with the kind of money you pay for high end motherboards these days, it's very possible for a CPU upgrade to be cheaper than a motherboard upgrade anyway![]()
coldpower27 said:Well if your getting an enthusiast motherboard chances are you going to go with a performance mainstream processor or higher which is likely to be in the 300US range or higher. So no I would say I am going to say I disagree with this.
That's seriously debatable, enthusiasts have a large range, that's only 1 fraction of the people who overclock. Though I do understand the point.Sabrewulf165 said:Considering top end motherboards can reach into the $200-$250 range these days, it's not entirely unlikely, especially considering enthusiasts, many of whom will purchase the cheapest fully featured CPU they can and overclock it. I'm not saying that's a majority case, just making an observation.
From my personal experience, when it comes to motherboards and CPUs, I upgrade one just about as frequently as another, and I'm hardly a hardcore overclocking enthusiast. If you upgrade once a year or more, it's hardly going to matter if a the mem controller is on the CPU. If you only upgrade every 3 years... it still won't matter!
I guess I'm not just not seeing any real world situation where this supposed advantage of offboard memory controllers is really going to matter.
Donnie27 said:To each his or her own! Be loyal to those who are loyal to you. Sorry, AMD hasn't been. X2 prices RIGHTLY show who they care about and I don't blame them. Being loyal creates stagnation and make both AMD and Intel lazy. The only real thing I'm loyal to is my wallet.
That can be basically guranteed. for 401US you will be able to get a Athlon 64x2 5000+ and that is only competitive with the E6400 best case.Nosir said:This was a few pages back, but its something that could use reiteration. Far often do i find people (myself included) just going with one side because they have had success with it, and refusing to consider the other option. In my opinion, an educated consumer, as im sure everyone here is (educated consumer is an oxymoron if you think about it), should assess both sides of the playing field and choose the best value and performance, not just stick with brand loyalty.
That being said, i personally am in quite a quandry. I want to build a new system before going off to school mid-August, so the question is (and im aware this is difficult to answer because of the very scarce ammount of information we have about the actual performance of Conroe), will Conroe's ~$400-$500 chips beat out AMD's chips of comperable price? Enough to warrant the taking the 'new technology' risk? From what i understand it will be an almost slaughter as far as performance goes, but its difficult to judge with such a lack of information. I also want to consider the fact that different platforms have different benefits and drawbacks, and i am still a bit weak on my information about Intels new fangled contraptions.
On another note...
Damn you NDA's, DAMN YOU TO SILICON HELL.![]()
wiretap said:hmm.. but actually, that is dumb. They re-pin the 939's to a 940 which is different than the Opteron 940's, then have all the mobo manufacturers make a new style motherboard to fit it, use DDR2, then don't do anything with it at all except use the same 939 style processors....
Its like an automobile company such as GM making a whole new design for an engine bay for a car, making a new assembly line to do the task, mount the engine in the car sideways, and make it say "Flex Fuel Only" instead of 87 octane.. They basically accomplished nothing, got nowhere ahead, and lead themselves down a temporary dead end wasting their time. It really doesn't make sense, except only to put DDR2 in the machine only not to do anything with it but get slightly higher memory benchmarks.
So, what you are saying, is they are doing nothing more with the current AM2's? If so, that would nearly be the most short lived computer technology investment or implimentation I've seen. I mean, why even bother from their perspective. It seems like a waste of time and money instead of just making a great stride ahead to compete with Intel, or make it future upgradable for further AM2 models, something like Intel did with the P4. I'm sure AMD knew about Conroe some time before the public knew. They have people that leak information between the two companies to keep ahead.
BoogerBomb said:I guess I should have read this thread before going on my rant about how AMD just sat on their asses thinking they had Intel beat. Sadly Conroe is next on my list and my first Intel CPU that I will have ever bought.
K8L is K8 rehashed and Conroe seems to have it beaten pretty good.
That means.. in order to upgrade, we'll need to get a whole new rig. Intel doesn't change pins as often as AMD, so you can hold onto your motherboard longer. I think this is one reason Intel has a major foot-hold in the global market.
BoogerBomb said:Actually AM2 may be shot lived as I understand it AMD's next CPU the rehashed K8 will be on the AM3. Then 2 months after that will be AM4.
On-die memory controller isnt worth it. Having to upgrade CPU and mobo everytime just because of memory is just way too expensive for us consumers. Put it back on the motherboard and not the CPU.
dagon11985 said:Loyalty to a company doesn't make much sense to me. I admit, all of my video cards have been manufactured by Nvidia, and all of my processors have been AMDs, but if I was to buy a new comp right now.. I'd go with ATI and Intel. Conroe is going to own, and the x1900 has a superior feature-set(HDR+AA, superior AF) and its quick.
Do I feel "loyal" to amd or Nvidia? No, if they release inferior products, why should I bother buying them? If I stop buying AMD processors and Nvidia cards, that will send a message to those companies, telling them to get their act together.
Sabrewulf165 said:Yeah, it *COULD* be done, but you're missing what I'm getting at. If you're moving to a new type of memory, you're almost always going to be buying a new CPU anyway, and even if you're not, you probably won't gain much from it anyway (AM2 being a perfect example of this)
Also (and I say this somewhat in jest, so no flames please) with the kind of money you pay for high end motherboards these days, it's very possible for a CPU upgrade to be cheaper than a motherboard upgrade anyway![]()
Lou Cypher said:That is a truly hilarious statement..
Blazin Trav said:This is why I buy computer parts used...
Sabrewulf165 said:And you can thank guys like me for the steady supply of used late model computer parts![]()
coldpower27 said:Well K8L is still fairly far away so accurate information is going to be sparse at best, as well, though I don't expect a desktop derivative of K8L till 2008. Servers will likely arrive first in Mid 2007.
AMD traditionally doesnt tell everything to its motherboard partners and very few of them knew about the 4x4 platform before the last minute. I guess it is the same with the K8L quad core as AMD wants to catch Intel dozing and to take its crown back one more time.
Heh, it means there are just rumors here and back about when AMD will have an answer to Conroe.EternityZX9 said:http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32948
I guess this means visaris has been right all along?![]()