Does a software controllable USB RGB light exist?

xMAGIUSx

Weaksauce
I am looking to add ambient lighting behind my monitor and would love for it to be controllable by either Razer Chroma or MSI Mystic Lights.

I can’t seem to find anything in my searches. I’ve found USB rgb lights controlled by an app, or their own remote, but can’t find any that are advertised to be compatible with the software I’m looking for.

Does such a thing exist?

Something like this set on Amazon, but controllable with either Razer or MSI’s software

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you trying to get the lighting to match what's being displayed on the monitor or just to get some colored lighting? If you just want lighting I think the closest you'll get is with the Philips HUE stuff as Razer Synapse has a plug in for it. If you're a coder you might be able to use standard RGB strips and the Synapse/Mystic Lights SDK to get something setup.

If you want it to mirror the colors on your monitor NZXT had their own ambient lighting kit (I think it's been axed) but it requires NZXT CAM. I know you can setup ambient lighting using a RPi and standard RGB lighting strips but it's a bit more complex and isn't controllable through other software AFAIK.

Last edited:
Are you trying to get the lighting to match what's being displayed on the monitor or just to get some colored lighting? If you just want lighting I think the closest you'll get is with the Philips HUE stuff as Razer Synapse has a plug in for it. If you're a coder you might be able to use standard RGB strips and the Synapse/Mystic Lights SDK to get something setup.

If you want it to mirror the colors on your monitor NZXT had their own ambient lighting kit (I think it's been axed) but it requires NZXT CAM. I know you can setup ambient lighting using a RPi and standard RGB lighting strips but it's a bit more complex and isn't controllable through other software AFAIK.
I’m looking for the color to match the colors I set my other rgb components to be, without having to use a standalone remote like on the cheap RGB strips.

The only things my google searching turned up were Philips Hue products and the Corsair iCUE LS100 Starter Kit which includes an external rgb controller.

Neither option is very cost-friendly.

Yeah, in that case you'll likely have to jump into the Hue ecosystem and control it with Synapse. To do that you'll need the Hue hub and light strips which will end up well over $100 unless you can snag the hub for cheap second hand. Having said that I haven't tried using Hue for Synapse but it wouldn't surprise me if there are issues since it's Razer. I have to have TWO different versions of Synapse installed to control my Keyboard and Mouse....

Back