• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Does a hard drive affect framerate?

Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Messages
52
I currently am running a 320gb WD Caviar Blue and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 500gb WD Caviar Black. Apart from space and slightly shorter load times would I see any other differences in games? Thanks.
 
For poorly designed games that rely on streaming textures... YES!

For games where the devs have common sense (or are capable of using streaming efficiently)... no!
 
There are some games that benefit from SSDs in regards to the minimum frame-rates, but it's small. I wouldn't buy a SSD with the intention of having better gaming experience.
 
Depending on the model number of your current drive it's likely that the one you have is faster than the 500gig.

If you want speed in a HDD get a Samsung F3 500 or 1TB they are the fastest currently. But otherwise I would just keep your drive and use it for files and get an SSD.
 
I think you would see a minimal increase, something to the tune of maybe 3-5 extra fps.
 
Back
Top