Do you use all the motherboard standoffs in your build?

Do you install all the motherboard standoffs in your builds?

• I just use the 4 in each of the corners

• I use the 4 corners and a few extra where I think it's needed

• I use every damn one for MAXIMUM motherboard rigidity!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fix Me

Gawd
I didn't use the standoffs the first time I was installing a motherboard when I didn't know any better. That did not end well and I learned my lesson.

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, and I make sure to cross-thread the screws through the motherboard so the standoffs turn when you try to loosen the screws. Tinkering with your computer is more fun when it's difficult.

Rvenger

2[H]4U
I sand the holes to make sure the screw gets a good contact. Then I run a wire from one of the stand offs to the 12v rail of the PSU.

Meeho

Supreme [H]ardness
never seen those? some cases have rubber "feet" approximately where the ram slots are, to provide board support when inserting ram. although I haven't seen 'em in many new cases...
Never, this is the first I've heard of it.

Spartacus

[H]ard|Gawd
I sand the holes to make sure the screw gets a good contact. Then I run a wire from one of the stand offs to the 12v rail of the PSU.
I assume you mean you are connecting a ground wire to the stand off..... connecting 12v to a standoff would not go well.
You should definitely not be sanding anything on the mobo either.

That's not necessary and could cause a problem if the wire gets loose. The standard design of the Case, PSU, and mobo work fine
if they are assembled correctly. Adding your own custom wires is not recommended.

Rvenger

2[H]4U
I assume you mean you are connecting a ground wire to the stand off..... connecting 12v to a standoff would not go well.
You should definitely not be sanding anything on the mobo either.

That's not necessary and could cause a problem if the wire gets loose. The standard design of the Case, PSU, and mobo work fine
if they are assembled correctly. Adding your own custom wires is not recommended.

Right over your head - Zoom!

Spartacus

[H]ard|Gawd
Right over your head - Zoom!
Ok..... that one wasn't obvious shens to me.
I've seen people post things that stoopid and worse before.

We had a guy here drill a hole in a brand new SSD and post pics.
He actually did that and then also tried to sell it here.

Sanding mobo holes doesn't sound so bad after that. :p

w1retap

[H]F Junkie
Of course I use all of them -- need to eliminate board sag as much as possible from heavy coolers/cards, and it also helps prevent BGA's from cracking during hot/cold cycles.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Of course I use all of them -- need to eliminate board sag as much as possible from heavy coolers/cards, and it also helps prevent BGA's from cracking during hot/cold cycles.
Indeed. I switched motherboards recently. I ended up losing a screw during the build process and ended up searching for the thing for almost a half hour because I had to have them all in.