Do you use a receiver?

saqdeez

Limp Gawd
What kind of setup do you have/how is it routed to your computer? Why do you use your receiver with your computer?

I have an audigy x-fi and $50 creative 2 piece speakers. Also use nice headphones when gaming but switch around depending on my mood.

Trying to figure out why you would or would not use a receiver. If i got a receiver i would get some sweet speakers definitely. And would i buy computer speakers or bookshelf type ones?

Any advice is appreciated

it depends. I don't think you can hook up your x-fi to the receiver if you have the extrememusic since that doesn't come w/ the external breakout box which has the optical output. But wow...definitely upgrade your speakers since you now have a x-fi sound card

Audigy 2zs plat.

Yamaha HTR-5840

1x NHT VT-1C Center Channel Speaker (120w. max)
Front 2x Canton GL 260 Bookshelf Speakers (70w. max)
Back 2x Nakamichi bookshelf speakers (sorry no product number)
My sub is a NHT SW2P going through a NHT MA-1A amp.

saqdeez said:
What kind of setup do you have/how is it routed to your computer? Why do you use your receiver with your computer?

Why I use a receiver? Because its hard to connect unpowered speakers to my line out on the sound card ^_^.

But seriously, before I moved into my dorm, I had my audigy 2 zs plat connected to a Denon AVR-685s receiver using digital coaxial. From the receiver I had two B&W 601S3 bookshelf speakers hooked up. And if I ever wanted to use my headphones (90% of the time) I would just hook them into the headphone out jack. It worked out good.

Sadly, I don't have enough room for my speakers, so I also did'nt bring my receiver. That.... and im also on a 24hour quite floor.. in a small room where space is at a premium.

Basically if you wanted to hook up a receiver to a computer, it would be to use passive speakers like your common bookshelf or floorstanding, and maybe an active sub.

Still, it gets costly if your on a tight budget when you start going away from computer speakers.

~Hope this helps

gotkilled said:
it depends. I don't think you can hook up your x-fi to the receiver if you have the extrememusic since that doesn't come w/ the external breakout box which has the optical output. But wow...definitely upgrade your speakers since you now have a x-fi sound card
................................ :rolleyes:

Actually you can hook up a receiver to the sound card........
They make a cable called a 1/8"mini to RCA cable.
You connect it to the line output on the sound card, and then to a RCA input on the receiver. No need for one of those external boxes.

And if that's not enough for you :D :D :D most newer sound cards come with a "digital output" on the back of it. There are little adapters that convert a 1/8"mini mono output into a digital coaxial output. Then you can hook up a digital coaxial cable from the sound card to the receivers digital coaxial input.

^_^

~Hope this helps

i use my S/PDIF (fiber optic) out from my IC7 MAX-g to my sony receiver and plug my Seinhiesssererererere 580's - receiver gives much more crisp clean sounds vs the line out on the mobo.

saqdeez said:

I have an audigy x-fi and $50 creative 2 piece speakers. Also use nice headphones when gaming but switch around depending on my mood.

Trying to figure out why you would or would not use a receiver. If i got a receiver i would get some sweet speakers definitely. And would i buy computer speakers or bookshelf type ones?

I have an X-Fi XM connected via Analog to a Pioneer VSX-D711 for 5.1 and Coax Digital for 24bit/96KHz for 2Ch music. I also have a Room in my House that's mainly used for my computer. The Room is pretty much Square and I have good speaker placement. I'd take my setup over the Best Klipsch and Logitech Computer Speakers. Since others are often listening with me, headhones aren't an option 65% of the time. When they aren't, I like my headphones connected straight to the card, though added amps are nice.

The sound image is so good, friends listening with me have thought the Center channel was on, when it wasn't, just a good Phantom Center. Or they say "Damn it sounds like shells are really hitting the floor". That's eventhough I have Carpet LOL!

Donnie27

Chaintech AV-710 for music, SoundStorm APU for everythign else, going to Yamaha RX-V1400. The Yammy drives a pair of Klipsch RF5 250W/8ohm mains, a Klipsch RC35 125W center, and a pair of Klipsch surround units. Would have to take them off the wall to ID them, but methinks they are 100W/8ohm. For a sub, we use a JBL E250P 12". The fuse on it is rated for 350W. Maybe I'm a total audio n00b, but I like it. Can't use high volume on it (shakes mom glass collection upstairs :D), but it cranks. I may post pics later.

onboard sound
V
Denon avr-485s receiver
V
2x Polk R-15 book shelf speakers
1x Sub from old set of logitech z-560 speakers

it sounds awesome, and i use the receiver because i am in a dorm room and I have a TV, Xbox, computer and satellite radio that i like to have good sound with.

i would highly recomend getting a receiver

MrGuvernment said:
i use my S/PDIF (fiber optic) out from my IC7 MAX-g to my sony receiver and plug my Seinhiesssererererere 580's - receiver gives much more crisp clean sounds vs the line out on the mobo.

I use an IC7-Max as well and I thought the Built-in stuff sucks, especially for Games. Even my old GTP- MUSE 5.1 sounded better. You might be cheating yourself.

Donnie27

Headphone setup:
X-Fi coax digital ===> Pioneer Elite THX-Ultra VSX-26tx ===> Optical out ===> Entech DAC ===> MisterX PPA.

Speaker setup:
X-Fi coax digital ===> Pioneer Elite THX-Ultra VSX-26tx ===> Alesis Monitor Ones

I use the setup in my sig and I must say I love it. I use the Spdif out of my soundstorm to the DVD input on my receiver. My biggest complaint is trying to get a "flat sound" from my speakers. I hate how prologic (in almost all settings) will massively overpower the center speaker. I am looking at a H&K receiver as I have heard and read good things about them. While I have an upper-midrange sony that's a couple years old, I am beginning to see it's shortcomings.

The active velodyne sub blows away all of those washy, crappy, (boom and shake to impress) subs that come with standard computer speaker systems. My buddy's Z680 sub is UGLY.

Speaking of your sig, it's over 10 lines on my 1280x1024 screen ;) EDIT: Thanks.

Receivers are the only way to fly. You don't have to spend a lot of money on one either, especially if you are willing to consider efurbs. I've seen refurb Denon AVR-2105s for $329, and refurb Onkyos go pretty cheap too.

Mystique 7.1 Gold -> Optical out -> Harman Kardon AVR-135 -> Athena 5.1/Senns headphones

DougLite said:
Speaking of your sig, it's over 10 lines on my 1280x1024 screen ;) EDIT: Thanks.

Receivers are the only way to fly. You don't have to spend a lot of money on one either, especially if you are willing to consider efurbs. I've seen refurb Denon AVR-2105s for $329, and refurb Onkyos go pretty cheap too.

Haha, I was editing it before you posted this. I myself felt it was a bit long and pretty over the top.

From what I understand, the H&K refurbs are a fantastic deal. I've heard bad things about the Onkyo but not the denon, but then I've been reading some hifi forums where people are a bit over the top and are often inclined to believe in the medical properties of snake oil.

saqdeez said:
Because equally priced 1970s/1980s used home receivers beat the pants off of computer speakers.

640W Kenwood
360W Sansui
120W Sony

Total cost? $24.00 for the sony, 0 for the rest.

two 10" subs, two 12" subs, 18 speakers total. You can get old home speakers for dirt cheap, usually because they are so damn big and people want to get rid of them.

When I play Battefield 2 or mafia, Im suprised no one has called the cops on me :D.

When I listen to music, I use my Bryston amp, and homemade speakers, to shake the house.

x-fi xtreme music analog out--> hk avr-130--> athena asf2 floor standings. i'll run digital after i find a coaxial cable for a good price

Xeero said:
x-fi xtreme music analog out--> hk avr-130--> athena asf2 floor standings. i'll run digital after i find a coaxial cable for a good price

Radio Shack model 42-2444A

Do not get the one only for Audio, get the one like this that will say Audio and Digital-Camera Cable.

Donnie27

can anyone recommend an entry level type receiver I can buy as well as bookshelf or smaller speakers? Can i get these both for <=$500 ?

can anyone recommend an entry level type receiver I can buy as well as bookshelf or smaller speakers?

Budget system:
Receiver-----> http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4018707
(Refurbished Onkyo Stereo Receiver TX-8011)
Speakers----> http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-642
(Dayton BR-1S sheilded monitor kit.... assembly required)
Alternate speakers----> http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=2693893
(Polk Audio R15)
Subwoofer----> http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-634
(Dayton 12" Powered Subwoofer)

And dont always rule out used stuff either :).

The caps in the kenwood seem to be going dead, or are weak. Bass is flat as hell, lights on the front of the thing dim when the bass guitar solo comes on in songs.

The kenwood or the sansui, nor my sony, have the balls to drive my 12's at their loud level, but they work fine for me, considering I only have about $34.00 into this whole mess.

I did get they sony to make the one 12" go good. I didnt have the midrange screwed in good, and when the bass thumped hard, it popped the whole thing right out of the hole and shot it on the floor. Pretty good speakers for costing $5.00 a pair and having cat piss on the cones. Im not sure why someone would leave a pair of boxes with the speakers in them outside for cats to piss on it... :rolleyes:

I really wanted to build a smaller system, but I cant seem to find any small speaker sets that sound good. All seem to suck balls.

Ive taken down all my amps except for the kenwood. My crappy walmart table was bowing in the middle and about ready to collapse, it gets too damn hot in here, and it takes me an hour to figure out which wires go where.

Donnie27 said:
I use an IC7-Max as well and I thought the Built-in stuff sucks, especially for Games. Even my old GTP- MUSE 5.1 sounded better. You might be cheating yourself.

Donnie27

i could be, i am not a hge audiophile and rearely use my computer sound except for a game and often tat is only to hear where sniper fire is coming from

once i sell the 3 syste i got i plan to build a nice system - and likely get a gh end audio card :) for once.

I use a Soundblaster Audigy2 (forgot what flavor) connected via the coax digital out to a Harman Kardon DPR-1001 receiver (full digital path, 50 very clean watts x 7 channels, very conservatively rated), running a 5.1 Infinity Modulus system (their highest end mini-sattelite/sub system, absolutely destroys even the highest end Bose system, though the sats are slightly larger, also has a great 12" powered sub that hits so hard I can only turn it up a quarter of the way without waking my downstairs neighbors).

For my computer system I set up an pair of MS-1 sattelites ( the ones that Modulus system comes with) and hooked the comp into the sub as well. Basically I have the 5.1 system set up as Zone 1, and the 2.1 as zone 2, so I Can be watching TV in my room having it go through the 5.1 setup while the computer is playing MP3s or making its sounds at the same time, volume control is independent of each other. Took some creative wiring and settings to make it all work, but I'm very happy with the results.

NulloModo said:
I use a Soundblaster Audigy2 (forgot what flavor) connected via the coax digital out to a Harman Kardon DPR-1001 receiver (full digital path, 50 very clean watts x 7 channels, very conservatively rated), running a 5.1 Infinity Modulus system (their highest end mini-sattelite/sub system, absolutely destroys even the highest end Bose system, though the sats are slightly larger, also has a great 12" powered sub that hits so hard I can only turn it up a quarter of the way without waking my downstairs neighbors).

For my computer system I set up an pair of MS-1 sattelites ( the ones that Modulus system comes with) and hooked the comp into the sub as well. Basically I have the 5.1 system set up as Zone 1, and the 2.1 as zone 2, so I Can be watching TV in my room having it go through the 5.1 setup while the computer is playing MP3s or making its sounds at the same time, volume control is independent of each other. Took some creative wiring and settings to make it all work, but I'm very happy with the results.

how does the dpr-1001 compare to regular receivers. does it sound better? is there less distortion? how does it retain all digital if the output speakers are still analog? whats the point of it if the output speakers are still analog?

Xeero said:
how does the dpr-1001 compare to regular receivers. does it sound better? is there less distortion? how does it retain all digital if the output speakers are still analog? whats the point of it if the output speakers are still analog?

It is very, very clean.

Two big reasons to go with digital amps - one, it does all signal processing, bass management, etc, in digital, so the signal never turns analog until right before it is sent to the speakers, this leads to less distortion. Second, digital amps produce next to no heat, and are much, much smaller than traditional amps. The reciever is a lot smaller and thinner than the traditional HK units.

I mainly picked it up because it was the cool new tech at the time (which was over 3 years ago now), they have more powerful units as well, and they tend to get good reviews. The sound is great, but nothing better than what you'd get out of a mid-high range Denon or something else on a similar level.

so pretty much if u pay x amount of money for a digital receiver, it'll sound the same as the receiver of another brand which cost the same amount? its just that the digital one is thinner? how would a digital receiver sound when compared to an analog one of the same price? is it better? or the same?

as you can see in my sig i have this mini-stereo from Aiwa connected to my Terratec 6fire. from the 6fire analogue out to the auxillary port in the stereo and from there my a900s plugged in the headphone out. And with some eq'in adjustment on the stereo, the sound is just nice and tight! :) way better than off my z560s!

hek1 said:
as you can see in my sig i have this mini-stereo from Aiwa connected to my Terratec 6fire. from the 6fire analogue out to the auxillary port in the stereo and from there my a900s plugged in the headphone out. And with some eq'in adjustment on the stereo, the sound is just nice and tight! :) way better than off my z560s!

lol, i think any tweeter/mid-range driver combination will sound better than the 560's with its single driver

Xeero said:
lol, i think any tweeter/mid-range driver combination will sound better than the 560's with its single driver

im talking about the sound from my a900s off the z560s heaphone out.

Xeero said:
so pretty much if u pay x amount of money for a digital receiver, it'll sound the same as the receiver of another brand which cost the same amount? its just that the digital one is thinner? how would a digital receiver sound when compared to an analog one of the same price? is it better? or the same?

1) maybe
2) maybe
3) depends on your ears
4) maybe
5) could be

:) if it was a simple as comparing price tags, audio would be a lot easier...

Xeero said:
Well, depending on who you believe, the audio qualities of some full digital amplification receivers like the Panasonic XR 55 matches with receivers severals times its price tag. The XR series was probably the first digital reciever to get any real attention, thanks to this article.

http://www.newformresearch.com/updateaug03.htm

If you check HT forums, like http://www.avsforum.com/, you'll find a number of threads dedicated to digital receivers, with the XR series being the most popular.

SLee said:
Well, depending on who you believe, the audio qualities of some full digital amplification receivers like the Panasonic XR 55 matches with receivers severals times its price tag. The XR series was probably the first digital reciever to get any real attention, thanks to this article.

http://www.newformresearch.com/updateaug03.htm

If you check HT forums, like http://www.avsforum.com/, you'll find a number of threads dedicated to digital receivers, with the XR series being the most popular.

so digital receivers can match the quality of more expensive analog receivers? wait a minute, a panasonic receiver can match the quality of a harman kardon or denon receiver of a higher price? wow, that's impressive. now do many people agree with this claim, or is it just like 1 or 2 people?

Yes, I use a reciever.

Output via Lexicon Omega

omega.jpg

Via SPDIF to a Harman Kardon AVR-235.

reciever.jpg

And goes out to Revel M22 Speakers

speaker.jpg

And looks like the following in the end.

main.jpg

Xeero said:
so digital receivers can match the quality of more expensive analog receivers? wait a minute, a panasonic receiver can match the quality of a harman kardon or denon receiver of a higher price? wow, that's impressive. now do many people agree with this claim, or is it just like 1 or 2 people?
Well, the person who wrote the first article is the head of a reputable high-end speaker manufacturer. If you read some of the HT forums, you'll find large numbers of happy owners.

There's a big thread on avsforum regarding the latest model, the XR55:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

If you search back, you'll find numerous threads on previous XR models, the XR70, XR50, XR45 and XR25.

SLee said:
Well, the person who wrote the first article is the head of a reputable high-end speaker manufacturer.
That right there is enough to make me run for cover.
"Reputable"... people think honda and sony are reputable...

Xeero, remember, that the receiver is not fully based on its input, but rather its output of current to the speakers. It does'nt matter how good the digital input is if the receiver can't even supply the proper current to the speakers when required.

That's the tough part about audio, you can not focus on something and say "oh, well if it has digital, it will sound better then 3x higher priced analog"? because audio equipment is never so cut and dry, its a complex equation of every single little thing in it ^_^.

Fibroptikl, how do you like those speakers and how do they compare to others you have used(if any)?

towert7 said:
That right there is enough to make me run for cover.
"Reputable"... people think honda and sony are reputable...
Reputable, as in a manufacturer of highly regarded ribbon speakers.

Xeero, remember, that the receiver is not fully based on its input, but rather its output of current to the speakers. It does'nt matter how good the digital input is if the receiver can't even supply the proper current to the speakers when required.
Objective measurements from Sound and Vision have placed the XR series capable of sustaining 80W all channels drive. Of course, most music listening takes only a few watts.

That's the tough part about audio, you can not focus on something and say "oh, well if it has digital, it will sound better then 3x higher priced analog"? because audio equipment is never so cut and dry, its a complex equation of every single little thing in it ^_^.
It mostly is for the electronics. If you don't push them past their clipping point, nearly all receivers are good. it's only complex for the speakers and room and those elements are far more important..

Back