Do You Really Need Antivirus Software?

Really? What lies and misquotes?

For someone that thinks he is so damned smart you sure do have a difficult time making any fucking sense.

Im still waiting for you to show where i said safe browsing... so obviously you are masking your confusion back upon me... keep searching.. maybe if you ask Odysseus.. he can help you make up a better arguement... he was good at tales too...lol

I actually didn't understand what you meant in your reply about dual decisions. I was just making a point about you not needing protection against a very possible virus infection because you are "not a moron", have been doing it without protection for "19 years" so far, and naive notion that you only get viruses from emails or people sending you stuff. That was what I was poking fun at. =)

I think every analogy to STD's fits here in the context of AV protection.

Sex.. requires to partners... thus.. if the woman says no.. not without a condom.. its a decision both parties have to be a party too and actually make...

Anti-Virus protection is not something that requires more than one person to make the decision.. its your computer.. yes or no.. no debate...you dont have to approve your decision with the power company.. or your landlord... or the village/town/state... before you can come to a decision... i hope that helps you understand a bit better...

As for saying you only get them that way... why do people saying that? lol... Did you read the entire post? No... so go back and read it.. or just look back at the reply i gave to the moron who kept saying the same thing...and in the reply... i pointed out how i did not say the only way...

Honestly... this is becoming an immense problem on forum sites... taking things out of context... completely fabricating peoples posts for ones own ends... for the love of god.. no wonder this country is so fucked up...not to mention.. its all about opinions and past experiences...in which i stated mine...and explained why..then i have to constantly be assailed by people without the ability to actually read the post... but have the actual audacity to reply back about it without understanding... or reply back to someone elses posts who hasnt read them either... while i agree it is amusing.. one likes to hear themselves talk/type.. or they woudnt be here... its also frustrating and honestly pathetic to see how moronic people really are... just due to that aspect... i think my statement bears even more weight...

If you get a virus... regardless of how.. you really are a moron...if you are the one who launched it to begin with by clicking a link or opening an attachment you are one of the 90% of people i mentioned... the other 10%... which means its not the ONLY way you get virus'....could be from someone purposely infected your computer or giving you infected media...

The point still stands that i was making earlier...thus far... no one has even properly quoted me or refered to my posts... wouldnt that seem to be something a moron would do?

Never heard that. Did they address that situation? I wonder if it was false positives, it wouldn't help matters if they said otherwise.

People have mentioned Firefox with NoScript, great extension, but eventually you'll have to allow a script to run for a site to function properly. Either way, there are other ways to get infected without javascript...SQL injections for one.

No, it was real and they addressed it within a few hours.

Meh, Been running AV since the early days of norton. Now it's just a second nature thing to load up MSE and Eset on my machines.

Sex.. requires to partners... thus.. if the woman says no.. not without a condom.. its a decision both parties have to be a party too and actually make...

blah blah blah

The point still stands that i was making earlier...thus far... no one has even properly quoted me or refered to my posts... wouldnt that seem to be something a moron would do?

Thank god for straw man arguments, otherwise you wouldn't have much of one. I wasn't talking about decisions or rape or bestiality. It's the basic idea that you dont need to use protection against viruses. You just made a woefully simplistic argument that:

"If you are not a moron... and dont have any morons who message you regularly with pictures and crap...you dont need virus protection... simple as that..."

That is what I was chuckling at. Before you complain about the "trends" of internet forums, you should take look at yourself first. Being overly wordy doesnt make you as smart as you think you are, especially when your comments are rife with spelling corrections that even makes it tougher to understand what you mean. Just face it, you said something retarded and no amount of soap-boxing and puffing out your chest will change that.

Anyhoo, I'm done.

My niece got her laptop infected with malware even though she was running AV software. Of course I had to waste 4 hours of my life to remove it, make sure her PC was clean and then set her up with even more anti-malware software.

I've read more than one article that claimed some of the malware out there is actually created by the anti-malware companies and I tend to believe them because what better way to ensure profits than making sure there is lots of malware to protect us from?

Thank god for straw man arguments, otherwise you wouldn't have much of one. I wasn't talking about decisions or rape or bestiality. It's the basic idea that you dont need to use protection against viruses. You just made a woefully simplistic argument that:

"If you are not a moron... and dont have any morons who message you regularly with pictures and crap...you dont need virus protection... simple as that..."

That is what I was chuckling at. Before you complain about the "trends" of internet forums, you should take look at yourself first. Being overly wordy doesnt make you as smart as you think you are, especially when your comments are rife with spelling corrections that even makes it tougher to understand what you mean. Just face it, you said something retarded and no amount of soap-boxing and puffing out your chest will change that.

Anyhoo, I'm done.

The guy is just so damned full of himself you can not get through to him so dont bother. He is one of those guys that when he does get a virus you can be damned sure he will be pointing his finger all around him.

Just like the rest of them. When it does happen, they will all have some excuse or claim "AV wouldnt have helped me anyway".

It WILL happen, we know it will. Unless the nature of the internet changes or every single vulnerability in windows is found and fixed overnight you will never be secure. You can choose to play warden with your processes and monitor them 24/7 for unwanted visitors or you can install an AV that uses less than 10 megs of ram and forget about it altogether.

What amazes me is the length of shit some of these anti AV guys go through to "be safe" on the internet instead of just installing an AV. Its just stupid. Noscript? What a pain in the ass, want to watch a youtube video? Noscrpt says fuck that you need to give it permission EVERY TIME for it to truly be affective at all, the second you whitelist ANY site its fucking useless.

I never got people that call AV programs invasive and stupid and then use noscript...:rolleyes:

I have been running AV software for a long time. Its called Linux. For the times I have to work in Windows I use MSE and practice "safe browsing" only with Ubuntu running in VBox.

I have been running AV software for a long time. Its called Linux. For the times I have to work in Windows I use MSE and practice "safe browsing" only with Ubuntu running in VBox.

Security through obscurity isn't security.

My niece got her laptop infected with malware even though she was running AV software. Of course I had to waste 4 hours of my life to remove it, make sure her PC was clean and then set her up with even more anti-malware software.

I've read more than one article that claimed some of the malware out there is actually created by the anti-malware companies and I tend to believe them because what better way to ensure profits than making sure there is lots of malware to protect us from?

I've heard norton does this, wouldn't doubt it.

Been years since I used an AV.

I usually reinstall windows about once every 2 years, haven't had any issues I didnt remove myself.
It's a bit amazing how much people lean on AV software assuming it offers protection.

It doesn't. You'll normally get hit before your AV even picks it up. UAC far surpasses any AV released.

The achillies heel of modern security is IE. Use chrome or firefox and your chances of getting anything drops significantly.

Not at all. IE is a fine browser these days. Firefox was at the top of the vulnerability list last year. There is no superior browser when it comes to security.

with all the java and flash exploits this past year, i dont see why anyone wouldn't run some kind of AV.

alot of malware gets installed without you having to do anything, and you wouldnt even know it was there

Exactly. There is no such thing as a safe computer when connected to the Internet. Flash exploits, java exploits, spyware, malware, etc.. are all floating around.

If you don't want viruses, use Mac OS X or a version of Linux.

For Windows, you NEED some type of AV software, anything is better than nothing, even free software.

For all OSes, you should use Firefox + Flashblock + NoScript.

/thread ;)

If you don't want viruses, use Mac OS X or a version of Linux.

For Windows, you NEED some type of AV software, anything is better than nothing, even free software.

For all OSes, you should use Firefox + Flashblock + NoScript.

/thread ;)

Flashbock AND noscript?? A bit redundant dont you think?

Flashbock AND noscript?? A bit redundant dont you think?
Nope. Whitelist one page with NoScript and everything plays. But have Flashblock, and whitelist one page with NoScript and all but flash applets play.

A lot of pages have unnecessary, invisible/unseen flash applets that run in the background of webpages. Why not just play the flash applets that are necessary and that you actually want to look at?

FYI, Firefox is superior than all other browsers in the area of add-ons. Please propose me an alternate browser that can replicate exactly the combined functions of the following: NoScript+Adblock+Flashblock+QuickJava+HTTPS Everywhere+Nevercookie+BlackSheep+ForceTLS

And the person who suggested I should "read up" on SQL injections never helped me find material suggesting browser vulnerabilities due to SQL injections. I would really, honestly like to see this material. ;) Because then I can suggest to you which plugin of all the above I had mentioned takes care of blocking that.

Back