Do You Pronounce it GIF or JIF?

so according to your logic GIN (Guinea) should be pronounced with hard G not soft?
AIDS should sound like "ahids"?

hey guys, I'm open to learning... just school my ass with some proper references!

JIFF-VS-GHIF-683x1024.jpg

GIF Pronunciation: Why Hard (G) Logic Doesn't Rule - Jemully Media

I mean, are all these "numbnutz" around the web who have done research into this all WRONG!!??! I'm really honestly trying to find the truth here. FUCK YOU. I mean THANK YOU for helping me...

Next thing you're going to be telling me ASUS is A-soos not A-suhs... ;)

is it even an acronym? wtf... stop messing with me, I'm in a super fragile state now...

280aad70-a0f0-0132-a2cf-0e6808eb79bf.gif

Next thing you're going to be telling me ASUS is A-soos not A-suhs... ;)
The name is derived from the Greek creature Pegasus. But the company themselves pronounce it Ey Zeus.

is it even an acronym? wtf... stop messing with me, I'm in a super fragile state now...
No it isn't an acronym.

Also you continue to have a discussion with yourself since nobody is questioning that there isn't hard and soft Gs in English. People are just annoyed that the creator is arbitrarily pronouncing it how he wants. I've never heard a single human being call it a JIF since it was a thing. It can be called either one. It just makes most people twitch to say JIF.

I've heard the CEO of Asus pronounce it several times as "Ah-soose" and that's an s there, not a z, and "Ah..." is like that sound you make when you realize something like "Ah, I understand now... it's GIF with a J sound... like the peanut butter." :D

I never thought anyone was questioning the existance of soft and hard Gs... sorry if I came across that way...

and yea, some people never heard Jif, while other never heard Gif... personally I've heard both and probably have used both... so what? and how is he "arbitrarily" pronouncing the word when he is technically going along with the most commonly used ruling? Yea, it's a bit of a gray zone...

I've heard the CEO of Asus pronounce it several times as "Ah-soose" and that's an s there, not a z, and "Ah..." is like that sound you make when you realize something like "Ah, I understand now... it's GIF with a J sound... like the peanut butter." :D
It's Ey Zeus as the video explicitly states. The CEO has quite a thick accent. But in the Western world it's Ey Zeus.

I never thought anyone was questioning the existance of soft and hard Gs... sorry if I came across that way...

and yea, some people never heard Jif, while other never heard Gif... personally I've heard both and probably have used both... so what? and how is he "arbitrarily" pronouncing the word when he is technically going along with the most commonly used ruling?
I honestly couldn't care less, it was just the comment regarding people being uneducated that set me off. I'm being hormonal. Sorry.

no dude,,,, I'm sorry for not using more emojies, I was being silly-aggro this entire time... :p 3>

First off, it's not a word, it's an acronym.

Second, the creator of the format doesn't control the English language.

So, I'm going to continue calling it GIF with a hard G because that's what every other human I've heard say it in real life has used and that's what makes sense to me.

So how do you pronounce Giblet? Gibraltar? Gibbon? Gi usually = soft g, not hard g. So both the inventor of the acronym is right as well as the English language.

WTF are you talking about? Gift, give, gigahertz, gimmick, gang, girl, giggle, gimp, etc. Telling people they aren't uneducated while displaying ignorance is just a magnificent display of derp.

I'm pretty sure everyone already knows that there are hard and soft gs in the English language. That's not the point being argued, you dingus. It's that the first letter of the acronym is derived from the word Graphics, which is a hard G. Making it a J sound for no apparent reason is what's being discussed. You're pointing out something that nobody was talking about. So, grats.

First off, the words you listed are exceptions, not the rule. There are like over 18+ thousand words that start with G. Of those words 61 don't follow the rule. So 99+% = wrong to you and .5% = right?

Also acronyms are treated as their own word, when you pronounce them you say them as though it's a word, you don't say them with how each individual word the letter stands for is pronounced.

Otherwise things like Scuba would be pronounced "Skuh-ba" instead of "Sku-ba"

So how do you pronounce Giblet? Gibraltar? Gibbon? Gi usually = soft g, not hard g. So both the inventor of the acronym is right as well as the English language.
Good grief ... people are aware that there are soft G words in the English language. They're not idiots.

First off, the words you listed are exceptions, not the rule. There are like over 18+ thousand words that start with G. Of those words 61 don't follow the rule. So 99+% = wrong to you and .5% = right?

Also acronyms are treated as their own word, when you pronounce them you say them as though it's a word, you don't say them with how each individual word the letter stands for is pronounced.

Otherwise things like Scuba would be pronounced "Skuh-ba" instead of "Sku-ba"
They're not exceptions. They're part of the English language. That's what makes English different from every other language. It is a melting pot of languages. Making stupid examples doesn't make your point. And trying to make the claim that the entire thread doesn't understand that soft Gs exist is ridiculous. That isn't what's even being discussed. The thread isn't about the existence of soft Gs in English. It's just people disagreeing with how it's pronounced simply because they're been saying it that way for years. It's also because the acronym is derived from the word graphics, which is why people have been using a hard G forever now. The creator is not wrong by pronouncing it JIF. And nobody is saying it can't be pronounced that way. Whatever point you're trying to prove has absolutely nothing to do with what's being discussed. Yes, buhjillions of G words have a soft G sound. Even the word G is pronounced Jee. That is again not what's being discussed. It's a topic that's been discussed all over the internet every since the creator told everyone how it's pronounced. Now everyone is either getting used to calling it JIF or just saying it the way they always have. There is no wrong way to say it. But your SOFT G DEFENSE TEAM FORCE ACTIVATE literally is completely and utterly out of place here.

Good grief ... people are aware that there are soft G words in the English language. They're not idiots.

They're not exceptions. They're part of the English language. That's what makes English different from every other language. It is a melting pot of languages. Making stupid examples doesn't make your point. And trying to make the claim that the entire thread doesn't understand that soft Gs exist is ridiculous. That isn't what's even being discussed. The thread isn't about the existence of soft Gs in English. It's just people disagreeing with how it's pronounced simply because they're been saying it that way for years. It's also because the acronym is derived from the word graphics, which is why people have been using a hard G forever now. The creator is not wrong by pronouncing it JIF. And nobody is saying it can't be pronounced that way. Whatever point you're trying to prove has absolutely nothing to do with what's being discussed. Yes, buhjillions of G words have a soft G sound. Even the word G is pronounced Jee. That is again not what's being discussed. It's a topic that's been discussed all over the internet every since the creator told everyone how it's pronounced. Now everyone is either getting used to calling it JIF or just saying it the way they always have. There is no wrong way to say it. But your SOFT G DEFENSE TEAM FORCE ACTIVATE literally is completely and utterly out of place here.

Umm, you were the one trying to use the English language and rules to state how it was pronounced.

As I said, Acronyms are pronounced as a word, they are not pronounced by how the individual names are for each letter.

Just because graphics is hard g does not mean gif = hard g. Just like Scuba = Sku-ba and not Skuh-ba. Acronyms = their own words pronounced according to how they are spelled with no relation to the individual word that each letter stands for.

To quote in a half-ass manner a somewhat infamous person, Rodney King:

"Can't we all gust jet along?" :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care how the inventor pronounces it, G stands for graphics and not fucking jraphics.

As for Asus, they done goofed because I read Asus is named after the greek God Zeus so should be spelled more like Aseus and not Asus. I pronounce it how it is spelled and am never going to say aseus.

I don't care how the inventor pronounces it, G stands for graphics and not fucking jraphics.

As for Asus, they done goofed because I read Asus is named after the greek God Zeus so should be spelled more like Aseus and not Asus. I pronounce it how it is spelled and am never going to say aseus.

Acronyms are pronounced as a word, the individual words the letters stand for have absolutely no bearing on how you pronounce the acronym.

Acronyms are pronounced as a word, the individual words the letters stand for have absolutely no bearing on how you pronounce the acronym.

Asus is not an acronym, it is a trademark name. Each letter doesn't stand for anything. Asus is pronounced a-sus not a-seus. And jif instead of gif just sounds idiotic so will continue to say it the way I choose.

I say line-ux instead of lin-ux too. :)

Last edited:
Which even if we were to accept this as fact, we would look at the closest related word for guidance.

The only other word I know of that starts with "GIF" is "GIFT", meaning a [H]ard-G. Anyone that disagrees will henceforth be known as a softee.

You're not actually doing anything to help your position with that kind of admission. :p

I have a logical reason for doing so. Remember the piano playing character Linus in Peanuts cartoons? Was it pronounced Line-us or Lin-us? Uh-huh, case closed.

p.s. I don't care if Torvald's is from Finland, I pronounce it the way it is pronounced in my country and not his.

p.s. I don't care if Torvald's is from Finland, I pronounce it the way it is pronounced in my country and not his.

So, you'll start pronouncing it as Lih-nucks presently, right? Right?

Do you pronounce "listen" as "lie-sin" ? See how that works?

Well of course you don't, how silly of me to ask. ;)

We are talking about a name and not a verb. Pronounce this place for me, Leicester.

In USA/Canada do we pronounce it Line-us or Lin-us. Right, next.

Gif. As in (G)ood. Now, can we move on to more important issues? Like, why don't human females have three breasts instead of two? I think the US government should give me a huge grant to look into this issue.

Gif. As in (G)ood. Now, can we move on to more important issues? Like, why don't human females have three breasts instead of two? I think the US government should give me a huge grant to look into this issue.

Women 99% of the time give birth to only one baby at a time so why do they even have two breasts? All they really need is one.

p.s did you know men have nipples because all fetus's start out as female?

n USA/Canada do we pronounce it Line-us or Lin-us. Right, next.

Maybe you do, but don't cough up another broad generalization about the USA, please, it's just not helping your case.

Try this one on for size: Linnaeus.

Besides, Linus as in Lie-nuhs is his name, and he created the kernel hence he got to name it and he declared it Linux as in Lih-nucks so there.

Don't like it? Well that's fucking freedom for you. Heeeeeeeeeere's your sign:

SLWIDL.jpg

Women 99% of the time give birth to only one baby at a time so why do they even have two breasts? All they really need is one.

p.s did you know men have nipples because all fetus's start out as female?
Not really, in the past, women have lots and lots of babies. Having less babies is more of a recent development.

Every time one of the softees tells us that it's pronounced jif, they invalidate their own argument.

If you have to misspell the acronym to convey how you think it's pronounced, you're obviously wrong.

It's a hard G.

Furthermore, going forward I am going to work to eliminate all uses of the soft g from my vocabulary. Jiraffes are now GERaffes and gin and tonics are now vodka sodas.

"Welcome to the future, where Grammar and Spelling Nazis are now joined by the third pillar of The Unholy Triumverate of Language... The PronounciNazis..."

OMGBBQWTF, LOL!

Back