Do You Pronounce it GIF or JIF?

It's been a while since I've looked into population stuff. But for the most part, they had more children because it was less likely that kids would survive, and it being compared to 3rd world countries. Having more kids, increase the chances of passing on the family line. That's what I remember anyway.

Anybody who was alive and working with computers when GIF was developed knows that's it's pronounced Jif rather than Gif. Since it's an acronym though, G I F is also correct. Gif just sounds retarded. It's like pronouncing IT as "it" rather than I. T.

women breast feed for more than 9 months after the baby is born, therefore can make use of both breasts at the same time with two successive babies.

Which even if we were to accept this as fact, we would look at the closest related word for guidance.
Is this really a rule or just your gut feeling on what's suppose to take place? Also, any hard evidence of "hard G because it stands for Graphics" other than opinion/gut feelings? I've truly tried searching to no avail (or perhaps I just suck at it) the only official rules about it seem to make the case for soft G "Jif"

either way it's not like the english language hasn't evolved throughout time and perhaps one day it'll officially change to hard G and there will be no more debate about this. I'd be fine with that :D

Search me myself and irene, and you'll know what the other breast is for.

Is this really a rule or just your gut feeling on what's suppose to take place?
"We hold that to be true that any acronym should be pronounced in such a way as to be not dissimilar from its kin in the common tongue." - Abraham Lincoln, inventor of the American language.

Case closed, and basically anyone that pronounced it "jiff" is a Communist traitor and needs to go back to Venezuela.

The G in graphics is a hard G, therefore the G in GIF is a hard G. If you say it with a soft G, most people are gonna think you're talking about peanut butter.

women breast feed for more than 9 months after the baby is born, therefore can make use of both breasts at the same time with two successive babies.

I mean granted my experience of breast feeding is limited to my wife and our couple kids, but it seems the reason women have two breasts is because they each only contain so much milk, plus those faucets need some cooling off time.

Try having someone give you a 20 minute hickey.

Reactions: Youn
like this
ORMdjsu.jpg

Last edited:
He co-opted someone else's work because he wanted HIS to sound cute. There's nothing inherently wrong with pronouncing it with a hard G. It sounds fine. It makes perfect sense. It's a new word, with a new pronunciation. But NOOOOOOOO, he wanted cute, so he called it peanut butter.

I'm gonna double dip in this thread.. I'm blown away by the number of people here that actually stand by JIF

Let's forget for a moment that in order for me to specify that wrong pronunciation; I have to mangle the spelling into "JIF".

Moving past that, the inventor had.. what? 30 years to get the word out? All of us, even you JIF cultists -- all of us -- used GIF (with a hard G) for 28 years before someone dug Wilhite up and asked him.
Damage is done.
Popular usage wins.

Popular usage wins.

Considering I was using CompuServe even before this image format came into actual existence (the service it was created for) and considering that all the people I knew back then and still know to this day still call it GIF pronounced with the J sound (because we actually ASKED the creator of the image format ON CompuServe how he expected it to be pronounced and how he said it himself and all the people working at CompuServe pronounced it the same way: using the J sound) I have no idea what your concept of "popular usage" is supposed to mean.

He created it, he named it, don't like it well tough shit, kids. :)

Considering I was using CompuServe even before this image format came into actual existence (the service it was created for) and considering that all the people I knew back then and still know to this day still call it GIF pronounced with the J sound (because we actually ASKED the creator of the image format ON CompuServe how he expected it to be pronounced and how he said it himself and all the people working at CompuServe pronounced it the same way: using the J sound) I have no idea what your concept of "popular usage" is supposed to mean.

He created it, didn't set precedent, people use GIF over JIF. Tough shit, creator and followers.

Couldn't think of a bigger who cares? situation if I tried.

The fact that you have to use a different letter to illustrate your pronunciation kinda kills any argument...

Just saiyan...

I love how divided [H] users are on this topic. I thought for sure a gathering of IT folk would come to a concensus.

Can we remake this thread with a poll?

I've always interpreted it as jif. The inventor calls it jif. That's good enough for me.

It's like toilet paper rolls. Over or under? Always seemed like over was the logical choice. Low and behold the original patent was found and the inventor intended for it to be over.

The final ruling in my opinion belongs to the inventor.

I'm gonna double dip in this thread.. I'm blown away by the number of people here that actually stand by JIF

Let's forget for a moment that in order for me to specify that wrong pronunciation; I have to mangle the spelling into "JIF".

Moving past that, the inventor had.. what? 30 years to get the word out? All of us, even you JIF cultists -- all of us -- used GIF (with a hard G) for 28 years before someone dug Wilhite up and asked him.
Damage is done.
Popular usage wins.

You don't have to mangle any spelling, G followed by I is almost universally a soft g.

Here I'll let this guy educmacate you:

You don't have to mangle any spelling, G followed by I is almost universally a soft g.

Do you possess the ability to actually think for yourself ... or are you only capable of mimicking everyone else?

Are you really so butthurt that you can't even be on topic? It'd be Gizzard.

facepalm*
That was obviously lost on you. Gizzard was another word that doesn't fit with the general rule which was listed in the link you posted to the definition of giblet. Giblet is another word that I've heard pronounced both with a hard and soft g. Just because a dictionary says something doesn't make it true. Remember that same dictionary lists the definition of "literally" to include the meaning of "figuratively." the definition of literally

Who the hell would be butthurt in an argument literally started about semantics?

Jesus Christ.

This thread illustrates why we have professional sports. People need something to fight over no matter how absurd.

That was obviously lost on you. Gizzard was another word that doesn't fit with the general rule which was listed in the link you posted to the definition of giblet. Giblet is another word that I've heard pronounced both with a hard and soft g. Just because a dictionary says something doesn't make it true. Remember that same dictionary lists the definition of "literally" to include the meaning of "figuratively." the definition of literally

Who the hell would be butthurt in an argument literally started about semantics?

Jesus Christ.
You sound pretty butthurt right there.

What I said was obviousyl over our head too, which is a bit weird considering what I've been doing in this thread.

I love how divided [H] users are on this topic. I thought for sure a gathering of IT folk would come to a concensus.

Can we remake this thread with a poll?

I've always interpreted it as jif. The inventor calls it jif. That's good enough for me.

It's like toilet paper rolls. Over or under? Always seemed like over was the logical choice. Low and behold the original patent was found and the inventor intended for it to be over.

The final ruling in my opinion belongs to the inventor.
Oh jod, that's a whole other thread entirely. Under, all day. I'm a rebel, apparently.

But gif is an acronym and not a word. Graphics Interchange Format, therefore; it is a hard g because it represents the word graphics. Guy in the video is a dumbass and the inventor of jif isn't so smart either.

You sound pretty butthurt right there.

What I said was obviousyl over our head too, which is a bit weird considering what I've been doing in this thread.
I never stated anything was over your head. And you wouldn't have facepalmed if you were attempting a joke in your previous reply. Nice back-pedaling there.

You're typing so fast that your letters have started traveling through time. I don't know how you're doing that without the 1.21 jigawatts needed to power the flux capacitor.

I never stated anything was over your head. And you wouldn't have facepalmed if you were attempting a joke in your previous reply. Nice back-pedaling there.

You're typing so fast that your letters have started traveling through time. I don't know how you're doing that without the 1.21 jigawatts needed to power the flux capacitor.
Uh, I never said that ou said something was over my head, I said what I said was over your head. My laptop keyboard has been shitty, and it takes too much effort to correct all the time.

But yea, I didn't backpedal.

Back