Do you have to download and install drivers on a virtual pc instance?

hyt3k9

2[H]4U
Just like the title reads, curious about this.

I noticed right off that it already grabbed the settings of my laptop's NIC, and just worked with an install of XP Pro, without drivers needed.

I was wondering if I need to install chipset, audio and vga drivers as well, or does it grab this information off my host OS (Which happens to be Vista Ultimate 32 bit OEM)

EDIT: Also, is Antivirus needed on a Virtual install?

TIA! :)

Installing the Virtual PC additions should be all you need to do.

As for the AV question, it depends on if you need to persist data between sessions.
I create a base VPC and set it up exactly how I want it. Then enable undo disks. Now all changes I make are stored in the undo disk. Every time I use the VM I choose to delete changes when I shut down. If I need to save a file I downloaded I just drag it to my real desktop before shutting down. If I want to make a permanent change I just choose Commit changes. When used like this I see no need for AV software as any damage done to the VM is instantly undone when I delete changes on shut down.

Installing the Virtual PC additions should be all you need to do.

As for the AV question, it depends on if you need to persist data between sessions.
I create a base VPC and set it up exactly how I want it. Then enable undo disks. Now all changes I make are stored in the undo disk. Every time I use the VM I choose to delete changes when I shut down. If I need to save a file I downloaded I just drag it to my real desktop before shutting down. If I want to make a permanent change I just choose Commit changes. When used like this I see no need for AV software as any damage done to the VM is instantly undone when I delete changes on shut down.

Agreed. We do a lot of software testing with this kind of setup. It's great, we install the test software, and then scrap all changes when it is done. We don't use AV, because we don't save anything.

You will have specific drivers for the 'virtual' hardware that you need to install.
VMWare server/workstation apps have a 'vmtools' package that installs the mouse, usb, sound, video, lan, etc drivers.

Regarding AV...if your just using the vm to test things out (ie not really using it for day to day use) then AV might not be needed, but if your using it as a day to day machine, than AV would be needed.

Treat a VM just like a normal PC

Back