Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Nov 1, 2018.

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

1. My RTX 2080 Died

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. My RTX 2080 Ti Died

28 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

20 vote(s)
    10.3%
  7. I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

24 vote(s)
    12.3%
  9. My RTX is a Founders Edition

60 vote(s)
    30.8%
  10. I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

138 vote(s)
    70.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles Gawd

lol sucks to have to fully insure a 1300 card that is non-working and probably worth a fraction of what you bought it for.

2. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer Limp Gawd

I only paid 999 for it + next day shipping. Since i'm in bed with Satnvidia ... I extended the warranty for 30 bucks and then kicked EVGA another 50 so I get next day, Saturday deliveries for any RMA issues. On top of that I'm paying to send the flawed card back.

If my experience mirrors others who have had issues here, EVGA and I will have some words about the return shipping. ;)

3. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles Gawd

Look at it this way, you saved $300 by buying that card, so that gives you $200 or so to spend on the RMA request and you'll still be ahead!

N4CR, Chimpee, Dayaks and 2 others like this.
  4. Legendary Gamer

Thanks! That's actually a pretty good way to look at it... lol.. shit...

5. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I joined the failed 2080ti club. TBH, I really wish I got space invaders as my failure, instead games fail to load and system rebooted. The most artifacting I got was a line on the screen about 2 pixels high and covering the whole width.

Popped in my other card and everything works fine so definitely the card died.

Chimpee, Dayaks and cybereality like this.
  6. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

Crap. Welcome to The Club.

7. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

It didn't even die for a legit good reason. I simply jumped in Vermintide 2 to test out the new dlc and was checking out the new/old map and then boom. Not even 5 mins in. I did a 3 hr session last night with not problems. It still loads windows, but can't do anything 3d with it. 3d apps fail to load/may crash or cause reboot. I wanted a space invaders screen shot lol.

8. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

Maybe try dialing back the overclock. I know on my system the 2080 Ti didn't like my memory at 4133 (even though it is the XMP setting, and worked fine with GTX 1080).

I had luck with setting memory to stock 2133, ran stable for about a week, then I enabled XMP again but with a slight voltage bump and now things have been rock solid.

9. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I'm not touching the rest of the system. I put in an Asus 2080ti and it works fine. The EVGA 2080ti card died.

cybereality likes this.
  10. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

11. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

So do the new Titan RTX cards have the same problem as the regular gaming card? I was just thinking about it at work.

12. Legendary Gamer

I talked to EVGA about the return shipping. Apparently, I'm retarded :banghead:, if I had waited for the RMA to arrive... there is a free shipping label in the replacement product... Now the documentation they give you, however, when you file the advanced return clearly states that you're responsible for shipping. I think the problem was, I had a retarded moment when I didn't read all the terms in the EAR program. :wtf:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Snowdensjacket and IdiotInCharge like this.
  13. Legendary Gamer

That would be a real bastard if that was/is the case. What I want to know is what about the Turing cards? Their Quadro lineup... How many of their full on professional cards are running on flawed silicon this generation?

14. TheRagnarok

TheRagnarok n00bie

I had four hard shutdowns after installing my EVGA 2080 TI FTW3. :dead:
    That was with a Seasonic 850w PSU, Xeon 1650 6c 12t Clocked @ 4.6GHz, 16GB GSKILL 2133MHZ Snipers, and an ASUS P9X79-WS.
    Going from a Zotac 980ti Amp Extreme to a 2080ti caused about 0.20v of vdroop on my CPU rendering my once stable overclock unstable.
    I upped the voltage to hit 3.0v stable and all is well.

15. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I wish it was an unstable CPU causing my problem, but I popped in the Asus 2080ti and continued gaming like nothing has changed. After work today, I saw I had a EVGA reply email to try clean driver install, reset my bios, install approved drivers, flash to a new bios etc. I could not even get the evga card to get past the post screen, let alone windows. I think when the memory starts going, it REALLY goes. Also in the short span I had it in there to test, the card warmed up significantly. The asus card was in their since last night and on all night and day and wasn't close the the warmth of the dead card when compared to the few minutes it ran. I suspect once its dying, its a runaway effect.

16. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

Soooooooooooo......still not safe to buy these cards yet?

17. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza [H]ardness Supreme

i have had mine for over a month now maybe 2 months and not had any issues so far touch wood

18. Legendary Gamer

Just got my EVGA Black RMA back. No time to throw it in my system and test, work and all.

I'm migrating my build to a new full tower case with front, back and top ventilation. I will let you know if this damn thing still manages to light on fire later tonight after I have some time to complete the build.

Don't buy yet. Too many failures IMO.

19. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

My first Asus 2080ti is now back in my main PC and still working. I got this at end of Oct. My 2nd 2080ti EVGA XC which was purchased 2nd week Nov, died a few days ago. I'm at 50% failure rate and in the midst of a RMA with EVGA right now. I find it funny they want me to do a firmware update on a card that can't even get past the post screen. Even more comical is that I got sent an automated rate our customer service before my follow up of "it doesn't post" was replied to.

Snowdensjacket likes this.
  20. capnstabn

capnstabn Limp Gawd

Started getting coil whine on my Zotac 2080TI Amp.

21. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Limp Gawd

Buddy just sent me this:

48386018_331262280801412_8722437605846679552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

Guess they're sending him a new one overnight and upgraded to an XC.

Snowdensjacket and cybereality like this.
  22. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

If you have a Space Invaders FE card that you have not sent in for RMA, please email me about it. I am looking to purchase one.

23. Legendary Gamer

Ok, here's the update. I moved my entire rig into a cheap ass 70 buck Blowswill "Rise" full tower case. It has something like a 140+mm rear exhaust fan, I pulled my 3 cooler master 120mm fans and replaced the crap ones it shipped with in the front intake. Mounted my Arctic 120mm push/pull on top where the 5.25" bay was (ripped it out) and it exhausts directly upwards. I placed another 120mm cooler master fan next to it also venting upward. It beats the living shit out of the cooling that the Cooler Master Mid tower was capable of. The 2080Ti was sitting, on average, at 78c in a handful of minutes. It would climb upwards of that and keep gradually climbing in temp. The new EVGA Black 2080Ti never goes above 72c, thus far, granted I was only playing Battletech at 4K, max settings for about two hours. The card seems stable... I have noticed what I might call an artifact or two, but I think it might actually be Battletech (I saw the same thing on my 1080Ti) and I'm paranoid after the first card shit the bed.

Attached Files:

cybereality likes this.
  24. Legendary Gamer

I've always had a critical eye for details... I am displeased to report that while I've managed to improve the overall cooling of my entire rig... I'm still encountering the screen flickering. No real visible artifacts yet, however, it's no different than last time. I suspect the enhanced cooling will slow the manifestation of issues, however, I'm pretty damn sure I have a bad card. It's the exact model as the last one, with Micron memory (not that we established the RAM was even the issue)... I will try the new drivers, but my optimism pretty much died watching Jack Ryan when the screen flickering was intermittent and somewhat regular. This is bullshit, how many cards are plagued with issues? My god...

25. Verado

Verado [H]Lite

Aww shit. Seems like I am becoming a member of the space invaders club, and I don't even have a 2080TI.
    MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z, never OC'd or anything. 4 weeks old today. Case has serious airflow.
    Been getting a few bluescreens today, and this last one had 16 wierd invaders on my right monitor, nothing on the left and the bluescreen on the center.
    I didnt even get proper invaders, just these wierd ones all over the monitor.
    wierd_invaders.jpg

26. Legendary Gamer

So, what in the sam hell is the actual failure rate? Upwards of 20%? Is the NDA people signed with Nvidia preventing the truth of these failures from being broadcast across all the major media outlets?

Nvidia absolutely knows they have a shit release on their hands and all indications point to them not giving a damn. Couldn't have widespread panic by telling the truth.... You know, a little something called Transparency that would go a long way with the people that actually shell out the cash for these cards.

Nvidia's NDA really seems like they knew, with certainty, they had created a flawed architecture. Yet they were in the commit stage. Either scrap one generation, and correct it or release it anyway and manage the fallout and then fix it in the 7nm generation that's just around the corner. My money is on the latter .

Wish I was home right now loading my new RMA until it failed . Damn work...

27. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

TBH, this failure rate is pretty high anecdotally. In my past 20 years experience of my own cards and actually working in performance analysis at nvidia, I have only experienced 1 dead card (2 officially since my 2080ti RMA has been approved). Even a card that LIT MY TEST MOTHERBOARD ON FIRE still worked after the fire (AGP slots were much more flammable in 2001 than today's PCI-E).

That fire required a fire extinguisher intervention.

28. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

Well, according to this poll, failure is around 30%. I could believe it, as I bought 2 cards and 1 of them was bunk.

It seems likely Nvidia knew of a problem, but maybe the margins are high enough that it's still profitable for them, even with a 30% failure rate.

29. Legendary Gamer

Again, this brings me back to an ethics study I did of Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals when I finished my bachelors in 2011. They knowingly released drugs that killed people in their clinical trials and decided to deal with the fallout and lawsuits because they were making so much damn money off the drugs to begin with. Nvidia isn't killing anyone, however, the lack of ethics toward their consumers is appalling and essentially the same

Replace the dangerous drugs that work for some people and kill others (Lilly) with video cards that work for some and fail to certain degrees or utterly for others (Nvidia).

Just that they went a step further, created a media blackout prior to releasing their faulty cards and then released them anyway. So, actually getting enough evidence together from the outlets that signed the NDA will be really tricky.

30. mikeo

mikeo Limp Gawd

Updating my vote to no issues, with the near daily driver updates from nvidia, I haven't seen any weird stuff happening in BO4 on the newest ones in a while. Also BFV RTX on ultra 4k looks and runs really well with that patch they released a while ago to improve performance.

31. Legendary Gamer

You and one of my friends appear to be incredibly fortunate. I sent him my code fro BF V since he missed out as an ultra early adopter of the 2080Ti. Good Luck, hope it lasts.

mikeo likes this.
  32. mikeo

mikeo Limp Gawd

Yeah, mine was one of the initial batch preorders for the zotac 2080 ti amp before the BFV promo, bought the game anyway before that promo started. Single player is cool but cant seem to get the controller sensitivity setup right so have mostly been playing BO4.

33. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I'm a mixed bag. 50% failure rate. The OLDER card is the one still working....

mikeo likes this.
  34. Legendary Gamer

I don't know what it is about heat and these cards... I initially thought they generated too much. Now I'm just wondering if the issues manifest because the flawed silicon can't handle damn near any heat build up.

So, here's the deal. When the ambient temperature of my house is like 72f and I fire up my system the card manifests issues.

When my ambient temperature in my house is 60, because I drop my heat when I go to work, the damn card runs flawlessly. Could it be feasible that the flawed cards have shit thermal negotiation? I just went home for lunch and gamed on it for just over an hour (yes I was pushing my lunch hour) and the 2080Ti black performed flawlessly. When, yesterday, right out of the box it was kicking out flickering and some artifacts... Or is it simply the fact that it works perfectly sometimes and will eventually fail utterly after a certain burn in period?

I'm at a loss.

35. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

You might want to RMA. That doesn't sound normal.

I've had my Ti reaching around 86C and working fine.

36. Legendary Gamer

I'm jealous. ;)

I still need to beat the shit out of this card before I ask for another RMA. I want to try to figure out why these damn things fail...

I'm gonna heat up my den, then kick on my space heater and get the room temp to around 80ambient. Then do some load testing and see what the card does when I get home

37. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

My card died below 75C. In most situations, I was lucky to see 78C. I had the LED go full on royal blue if I broke 78C. Never got to that. The working Asus card is also seeing similar temps under load, 72-76C temps. I only broke 80C when overclocked and doing some benchmarking which tried to stress it.

As pointed out previously, the game where it died, Vermintied 2 is CPU limited, not GPU limited at 1440p.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  38. RFGuy_KCCO

RFGuy_KCCO [H]ard DCOTM x3

I have had 4 different 2080’s (2 FE’s, 1 EVGA Black, and 1 EVGA XC2 Ultra) crunching BOINC projects 24x7 for the last 4-6 weeks and haven’t had any issues with any of them. Knock wood.

Starrbuck and Dayaks like this.
  39. Legendary Gamer

God I miss just buying a card, dropping it in and being able to play games and not worrying about shit failing. I'm sticking with this, gonna try not to give up. I think my paitence can handle a couple more RMAs, but if I get 5 for whatever reason I think that will be where I cut my losses, assuming EVGA let's me get a refund at that point. If not... I will be stuck sending these damn things back until they give me one that doesn't die.

40. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I'm not sure I have the patience to do 5 RMAs... lol

Completed filling out and going through cross shipping hoops. EVGA's "we must receive your card in 14 days" bothers me since the holidays are coming up and we know packages have a tendency to be delayed.