Do Memory Heatspreaders make a difference?

synbios

Weaksauce
I'm thinking of buying some standard DDR400 RAM, and I was wondering whether to buy some Heatspreaders to go with them or if they'll be a waste of time?

They dont make more than a 1 degree difference in temps, not worth it unless you want the sticks to look purdy.

Also, those heatspreader kits are a bitch to remove, so if you need to RMA your memory you could have problems.

Also, those heatspreader kits are a bitch to remove, so if you need to RMA your memory you could have problems.

QFT.

I decided to never have heatspreaders on my memories.

Unless you are using FB-DIMMs, I would say big time no.

I can see the heatspreader making thing worst actually.

I wish they sell sticks without the heatspreaders and pass the savings to us.....

I wouldn't get them if possible. I'm pretty sure all they're good for is aesthetics.

If you're not going to overvolt much, don't bother.

Personally I'm glad I have them on my chips. My tube that goes from the pump to the rad unfortunately crosses over the ram at one point. I have a 120mm fan spaced about 2 inches blowing down on the ram, but because of the tubing, it doesn't hit a small portion that well. At least now the heat will be able to spread and get dissipated that way

its a shame you cant get the spreaders like on corsair dominator seperately. they should come without heatspreaders installed so you can a) use ure own b) connect it up to ure lcs.

Up until recently id say no. Howver, with more and hotter cores and more and hotter GPUs the interior of the cases can go up. this is often combatted by more airflow and to catch that, some fins help. WC is, I think still overkill, unless your into 16 cores, 64g of memory, etc, in which case you likley have ultra beefed up airflow to compensate.

bottom line, as long as your ambient case temps are inline, your ok.

In many cases, they can actually hurt performance. They just sort of collect heat, they don't dissipate heat. Head over to XS, you will see a lot of guys ripping the heat spreaders off their ram. Sure, it looks nice, but thats all it does.

they make a very small temp difference but look cool. most good ram comes with them anyway. To be ownest if you have a amd cpu id get some corsair value select, or just any decent ddr400. ive got ddr 400 at 2225 and i can say its not worth the momeny i paid for it amds onboard memory control takes care of everything so you don't need great ram. I get very very little performance increase.

Back