• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

do i3/i5 integrated graphics overclock?

kencheeto

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Messages
2,851
I've done some searching and haven't found an answer. If a Clarkdale is overclocked is the graphics core overclocked as well?

I'm not expecting any huge increase, but since SC2 beta is *almost* smooth on my SU7300 w/X4500 at lowest settings, I'm curious to see if an i3-530 overclocked will run it smoothly on integrated graphics.
 
Did not spend a lot of time on this but from the datasheet

2.6.1 Internal Clocking Requirements
§ §
Table 2-4. Processor Reference Clock Requirements
Reference Input Clocks Input Frequency Associated PLL
BCLK[0]/BCLK#[0] 133 MHz Processor/Memory
PEG_CLK/PEG_CLK# 100 MHz PCI Express/DMI/Intel FDI

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/322909.pdf

It appears the graphics clock is derived/run from the PCI express clock and is seperate from the BCLK that runs the main cpu and memory controller.


On the other hand it appears that one could have a bios that allows the graphics clock to be linked to the core clock and dividers implemented.

2.17.2 GFXPLL1—GFX PLL BIOS
This is the GFX PLL BIOS register. See latest BIOS specification for more details.
B/D/F/Type: 0/0/0/MCHBAR
Address Offset: 2C32–2C33h
Reset Value: 0434h
Access: RO, RW
Bit Attr Reset
Value Description
15:11 RO 00b Reserved
10:8 RW 100b
Core Sampler Clock Pre-Div (CSPRE)
The CS pre-divider encoding is
000 = 2
001 = 2
010 = 2
011 = 3
100 = 4
101 = 5
110 = 6
111 = 6
7:6 RO 00b Reserved
5:4 RW 10b
Core Render/Sampler Clock Post-Div (GFXPOST)
Select CR/CS clocks output
sel1 sel0 CRpostdiv
0 0 div1
0 1 div2
1 0 div4
1 1 div8
3 RO 0b Reserved
2:0 RW 101b
Core Render Clock Pre-Div (CRPRE)
The CR pre-divider encoding is:
000 = 2
001 = 2
010 = 2
011 = 3
100 = 4
101 = 5
110 = 6
111 = 6

I would download and look at the bios of the motheroboard.

actually, I would never use intel intergrated graphics for any 3d application at all as even the least expensive bottom of the line 3d card would blow it out of the water.


oh wait, laptops ? never mind, I dont know/do laptops.

You might want to read this.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2972/...-pentium-g6950-core-i5-650-660-670-reviewed/1

Based on the overclocks they got with these chips it is highly unlikely the graphics cores where being overclocked as well, I am almost certain the GPU is not overclocked with the core both because of the high core overclocks and the still crappy video performance.
 
Last edited:
yes you can overclock. I guess it would depend on the motherboard but my board can and have.
 
Thanks Bill- I guess not many people have explored this idea before (because like you said, they're intel integrated graphics..) but I had a feeling the graphics clock would be separate. I just wondered since the 32nm clarkdales overclock so well if the graphics would see a substantial improvement as well :)

I'm really only interested because the differences on the scale of that Anand article would make the difference between playability/not. Guess I'll have to poke around some more and wait!
 
i'm playing SC2 beta on the integrated i3-530 GPU, and it's playable and smooth, but barely. but i just also need to mention that i'm crunching and the CPU is at 100% load while i play the game because sc2 uses almost no CPU. if you have everything on low, then it's playable.

as for overclocking the on die GPU, it's possible. since it's a function of BCLK, increasing the bclk will also automatically OC the GPU. this is why OC'ing the whole i3/i5 is limited if you don't use a dedicated graphics card because now you're limited by how high the GPU can go. my gigabyte board does not allow me to choose the GPU multiplier, but my biostar mobo does. when you're able to choose the GPU multiplier (similar to memory and CPU multiplier), you can OC even without increasing the bclk. hope this helps
 
Yeah just search the forums and they have some great deals on here and other forums people are always selling used but very good tech
 
the idea is to use a mini itx rig w/o expansion cards, but your suggestions are appreciated :)
 
yes that's right, for i3/i5 rigs, you should take advantage of the IGP because that's partly what you're paying for on these chips. also, you can't just turn it off even if you have a dedicated graphics card. it still uses some wattage, so might as well use it unless you want to game higher than low settings.
 
yes that's right, for i3/i5 rigs, you should take advantage of the IGP because that's partly what you're paying for on these chips. also, you can't just turn it off even if you have a dedicated graphics card. it still uses some wattage, so might as well use it unless you want to game higher than low settings.

Thanks, you're spot on with what I'm going for. I'd be playing on 1920x1080, do you have any idea about what numbers you'd be getting at that res? I'm not expecting much, but I don't mind dropping everything as low as it goes. My X4500 took the game at 1366x768 to 25-30fps with some dips to 10-15 in heavy action, which is playable but not good enough to fast gameplay.
 
Back
Top