Do I suck or is Core Temp wrong?

Martel-fs

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 3, 2006
Messages
156
So I just installed a new Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and bumped my e6300 to the relatively weak-sauce overclock of 2333 mHz (333 FSB) only to find that while the temperature looks great in the BIOS (~30C) Core Temp reports 40-44C at idle, which sounds totally wrong. I guess, then, that I either did a crap job at attaching the HS (possible but I would think it unlikely) or Core Temp still isn't quite right?

What do you guys think?
 
seems a tad high to me too, Whats your Vcore ?

Coretemp seems accurate on my 6300 (compared to TAT and speedfan they all 3 agree) but my MB is different. I would not think that would matter as the program reads registers right off the cpu but who knows.
 
Try CoreTemp v0.94 instead of v0.95... also compare to SpeedFan 4.32, DualCoreCenter and/or MSI PC Alert and PC Wizard 2007 (made by the CPU-Z folks).

If you have a L2 stepping E6300, then TAT and CoreTemp 0.95 will both read the Tjunction wrongly at 100C instead of 85C. All of the others above should read it correctly and all agree with each other (within 1-2C at least, and except for obvious bad -255C type readings).
 
seems a tad high to me too, Whats your Vcore ?

Coretemp seems accurate on my 6300 (compared to TAT and speedfan they all 3 agree) but my MB is different. I would not think that would matter as the program reads registers right off the cpu but who knows.

I may have the same thing - TAT, CoreTemp and Speed Fan all show about 32C whereas PC Probe II shows about 38C which is correct with BIOS. :confused:
 
I just thought id let you know, if you check around, there are alot of issues with TD Ultra 120 extremes. Mounting issues and quality control issues. Does your mount have a "washer" on it? Some people were missing them.

Also, many peoples bases were not flat and had to resort to lapping them. You might check that.
 
A lot of the facts in the above posts are still under debate: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1174781

I agree that there is debate on the subject and it's definately worth taking the time to read up on the topic, but for my system (MSI P6N Platinum + L2 stepping E6400), I have reached my conclusion based on what makes sense...

at Idle:

- my "system" temp is (for example) 30C (wherever that is measured)
- my "cpu" temp is 34C (4C higher than system temp)
- my "core" temps are 40C (6C higher than 'cpu' temp)

- all of the programs I listed earlier (and including my BIOS) agree on the "cpu", "system" and "core" temps (at least the ones that each of those and within 1-2C).

...the above seems reasonable. I refuse to believe that my "core" temp is 21C hotter than the "cpu" temp measurement being taken a ~milimeter away from there - 6C I can buy. If CoreTemp 0.95 was right, my E6400, at stock voltage, at Idle would be running 55C (65-67C with intel stock HSF) - I don't buy it.

YMMV
 
Old Core Temp and other programs all read the same temps. I guess that means I need to take everything back apart and examine it... Sigh.

My Ultra 120 did not have a washer on it, but the mounting seemed to be plenty tight and such.
 
The are still alot of questions around if its either 85 or 100 for tjunction. The best way to be sure your safe is checking the DTS delta value, thats the number of ºC you have left until the processor starts throttling.
 
My theory of the week after testing a naked core with no heatsink attached is that all desktop core 2 duo processors have a Tjunction of 85C. The preferred name for this is TjMax which is the maximum temperature your processor is designed to operate at.

I think CoreTemp introduced a TjMax=100C after the E4300 came out to try and correct for reported idle temperatures that were less than ambient. His solution was to adjust the TjMax from 85C to 100C but that might have been a mistake. The problem might be the on chip digital thermal sensors ( DTS ) that simply don't report idle temperatures accurately enough.

Why doesn't everyone run Orthos, preferably at default MHz and default core voltage and post those numbers, your processor type, the date code if you still have the box and use CoreTemp 0.95 to report the "Show Delta to Tjunction temp." Also include the type of cooler you're using and fan speed.

If enough people were willing to do this I could set up a spread sheet / database so people could compare their numbers with other users. Sort of like the [H]ard OC database which is a great resource, we could also have a temperature database so people wouldn't have to ask the same questions over and over and over and .....................
 
DTS stands for the digital thermal sensors which are on each Core 2 Duo chip. The value of these can be read directly using CoreTemp 0.95 and setting it to "Show Delta to Tjunction temp." Try to keep your core voltage as close as possible to the Intel default of 1.325 volts while running Orthos for consistency.

Here's what I was thinking

Processor: E6400
Revision: B2
Speed: 2133 MHz
Date Code: L633
Load Voltage: 1.320 volts
Heatsink: Tuniq Tower
Fan Speed: 1140 rpm
Room Temperature: 21C
Orthos Load DTS: 45

The only 100% accurate temperature number on a Core 2 Duo system is the DTS. If enough people were willing to contribute their data we could start a new thread and apply for sticky status. Every week for the last year a new thread has popped up trying to verify the accuracy of the temperature of a core 2 duo. Let's start gathering this data together so new and current users have one thread they can go to and get some comparable numbers without having to hunt through pages and pages of old posts and old threads.
 
from what I understand, doesn't coretemp read dts anyway. The coretemp it gives is subtracting dts from either 85 or 100. The problem is with 0.95 and a lot of l2's, it'll subtract from 100, resulting in way too high numbers.
 
ziddey: That's the problem. I figured if everyone could post their DTS then we wouldn't have to worry about CoreTemp and other programs guessing wrong at the Tjunction or TjMax for each processor.

If people could see like in my case they still had 45 degrees of head room then maybe people could stop worrying about what temperature their core 2 duo is running at.
 
If we're to make a C2D Stock Load Temp Database, we should probably start up a new thread that includes instructions on how we get all the info.

Things like:
  • Use Orthos at priority 9 for X minutes
  • Case door off (or on if you have some cooling setup where door improves temps)
  • SpeedFan for voltage/fan speeds

Also, do we want an underclock/undervolt database as well?
 
I was getting about 48-54C on my setup with the 120 extreme with speedfan, TaT ect, but since the cooler has settled in temps have hovered about the 32-34C mark. Is that a normal drop? Systems running fine, but don't want to overstress it too much getting the occasional 50C+ temps.
 
Back
Top