You have GeForce so you need G-Sync
If you had Radeon you would need Freesync

IT IS THAT SIMPLE :)

and buying monitor without "sync" for games is sign of mental retardation

You have GeForce so you need G-Sync
If you had Radeon you would need Freesync

IT IS THAT SIMPLE :)

and buying monitor without "sync" for games is sign of mental retardation
I'm pretty sure I'm not retarded, but I went from a 1440p G-Sync (ROG Swift) to a 4k fixed refresh (Dell UP3216Q), because you can't really get 32" 4k monitors with G-Sync (besides Acer's thing and they were charging an ungodly amount of money for an inferior panel to my Dell). Sure I miss 144hz and G-Sync but I've been playing Destiny 2 and other fast-paced games at 4k 60hz, and it has been great.

G-Sync is nice, but it's not that big of a deal and there are other factors to consider when buying a monitor.

Curious to hear peoples thoughts on my monitor buying quandry:

Have 3x custom water cooled 1080ti's (use the rig for mining when not gaming) so 1080ti sli when gaming. Currently have a 4k 60hz display (seiki sm40unp) va panel.

Debating between getting an oled55c7p for oled colors, no motion trails, and perfect blacks (but drawbacks of 60hz at 4k or 120hz but only at 1080.
Otherwise the asus 35" 200hz ultrawide gsync when it comes out, lower resolution is a drawback and its va which I've never been as big of a fan of (maybe my current monitors colors just suck though).
Last consideration would be the new BFGD Asus one 4k at 120hz FALD gsync, but it's 65" which means I have to basically double the depth of my desk to use it and who knows the cost on it. va as well. Colors just seem so much better to my eyes on an oled or ips display.

Which option would you guys choose? I wish the 2018 oleds had hdmi 2.1 that would make it an easy choice. Maybe the best option is just to wait until then?

...asus 35" 200hz ultrawide gsync when it comes out, lower resolution is a drawback and its va...

If the panel is the same as the Acer that came out awhile ago, I remember reading 200 Hz is quite a stretch.

The overdrive artifacts are progressively worse beyond 100 Hz.

G-Sync -> no input lag like V-Sync On, and no tearing like V-Sync Off, but at the same time.

Don't need it, you're obviously running without it, but it's definitely high up on the 'want' list.

Curious to hear peoples thoughts on my monitor buying quandry:

Have 3x custom water cooled 1080ti's (use the rig for mining when not gaming) so 1080ti sli when gaming. Currently have a 4k 60hz display (seiki sm40unp) va panel.

Debating between getting an oled55c7p for oled colors, no motion trails, and perfect blacks (but drawbacks of 60hz at 4k or 120hz but only at 1080.
Otherwise the asus 35" 200hz ultrawide gsync when it comes out, lower resolution is a drawback and its va which I've never been as big of a fan of (maybe my current monitors colors just suck though).
Last consideration would be the new BFGD Asus one 4k at 120hz FALD gsync, but it's 65" which means I have to basically double the depth of my desk to use it and who knows the cost on it. va as well. Colors just seem so much better to my eyes on an oled or ips display.

Which option would you guys choose? I wish the 2018 oleds had hdmi 2.1 that would make it an easy choice. Maybe the best option is just to wait until then?

In more or less the same boat - did just order a 55c7p for the living room, debating hooking my gaming rig up to it and playing around, although I don't think that's a viable long term solution for me.

I have some old 24" 1920x1200 IPS monitors that are overdue for replacement, but been holding out waiting for the unicorn monitor - 120Hz+, GSync, 4K, HDR, IPS (or better). Doesn't look like I can get more than 3 of the 5 on any single monitor right now.

In more or less the same boat - did just order a 55c7p for the living room, debating hooking my gaming rig up to it and playing around, although I don't think that's a viable long term solution for me.

I have some old 24" 1920x1200 IPS monitors that are overdue for replacement, but been holding out waiting for the unicorn monitor - 120Hz+, GSync, 4K, HDR, IPS (or better). Doesn't look like I can get more than 3 of the 5 on any single monitor right now.

If you end up hooking up the oled to your pc let me know if you are able to do hdr 4k at 60hz with 4:4:4 color. I think it's possible but it seems like there are some conflicting reports out there. I'm starting to lean toward getting the BFGD when it comes out no matter what the size is and just mount it however far away I need for the ppi to look right. Hopefully they have a good panel for it as the preliminary reviews at CES said the local dimming wasn't good and there was a ton of blooming with it. If oled had displayport this would be such an easy decision.

It blows my mind that so many people have no problem with screen tearing and vsync input lag. Variable refresh is mandatory in 2018.
Not all games even support G-sync, which undermines VRR. It's stupid that there's no way to enable FPS limits without added input lag. Even popular games like Rainbow 6: Siege are lacking a fps limiter.

G-sync / adaptive sync should have been implemented a decade before it was. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wondered why lcd screens couldn't operate that way in the first place, as crt scanning was from the crt era.

Not all games even support G-sync, which undermines VRR. It's stupid that there's no way to enable FPS limits without added input lag. Even popular games like Rainbow 6: Siege are lacking a fps limiter.

All games support gsync. It doesn't matter what the developer does because Gsync is handled at the driver level and enabled in the nvidia control panel. It doesn't add input lag.

A lot of games don't have easily accessible fps limiters in the in game menus, but most of them can be set in configuration files. Games that don't can be limited with riva tuner and other gpu software.

So Nvidia has this option called, fast, for vsync. Any input on it's use for non g-sync?

You really don't have to do anything to support G-Sync. Games that "don't support G-Sync" don't actually not support G-Sync. They're just poorly programmed shit that doesn't work properly. Any program that isn't retarded will work with it fine.

RTSS doesn't add as much lag as others, but still does introduce lag.

Lag so small (1 frigging frame) that no one would ever notice in a blind test. Heck, even the v-sync lag at 120hz+ is small and a non-issue for most people.

Lag so small (1 frigging frame) that no one would ever notice in a blind test. Heck, even the v-sync lag at 120hz+ is small and a non-issue for most people.
1 frame is a lot in a competitive shooter. And definitely perceivable, you're basically turning your mouse into 100Hz mode from 1000Hz from the 1 frame latecy - and at 60 fps dip it means a whopping 16ms of additional lag.

It only matters if tearing drives you nuts in online shooters.

If you have your FPS high enough, tearing is so momentary on a 144 Hz monitor that it's unnoticeable for me.

But for the picky folk they make sync.

If you have your FPS high enough, tearing is so momentary on a 144 Hz monitor that it's unnoticeable for me.

Something that bears repeating:

Gamers typically play more than one game. While G-Sync may be less useful for one or some, it may simultaneously be incredibly useful for others.

[that said, I enjoy having it on say League of Legends, which doesn't begin to stress my 1080Ti, simply because V-Sync in that game adds lag, and the tearing is annoying when panning at any framerate!]

The closer the object is to you, the more the tearing is noticeable, even at 144, particularly for vertical elements ... like other players ...

Tearing is still easily noticeable to me even at 144hz. But an even bigger deal for first person shooters is that it's easier to aim without the inconsistencies of the tearing.

1 frame is a lot in a competitive shooter. And definitely perceivable, you're basically turning your mouse into 100Hz mode from 1000Hz from the 1 frame latecy - and at 60 fps dip it means a whopping 16ms of additional lag.

That's not how it works. 60fps would be g-sync territory and lag free. Plus if you're actually playing competitively you wouldn't be using settings that let you drop below 120+ fps anyway...

And the difference you see/feel between 125hz and 1000hz mouse isn't latency, it's smoothness. We don't have 125hz or 250hz monitors, so 125hz or 250hz looks jittery on our 60, 120, 144, 240hz monitors - 500 or 1000hz is high enough that the micro-stuttering becomes hard to notice. Because, for example, 1000/120 isn't an integer so some mouse frames are repeated or dropped - in other words you will see gaps in the mouse movements as explained here : https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/mouse-guide/ But they will be much less noticeable than with, say, 125hz - which is a mouse stutter fest on just about any system.

If you had a 125hz monitor or ran g-sync with a 125fps cap on a 144hz+ monitor, a 125hz mouse would be actually fine and you would fail a blindtest all of the time versus a 1000hz mouse. 7ms is nothing.

That's not how it works. 60fps would be g-sync territory and lag free.
So the 1 frame RTSS latency enables when hitting the set framerate cap? There is no vsync territory in the framerate cap + vsync + gsync method.

Back