• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Do I need drive cooling?

Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
2
I'm about to do a new build, and I'm going to have two 750GB Western Digital Caviar drives, most likely with a Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP case (haven't decided for certain yet). Some reviewers on NewEgg say these drives run a bit on the hot side--my question is, is it preferable or necessary to have extra cooling just for the drives?
 
Welcome to the boards.

No it is not necessary to have drive cooling. I checked out the case you are looking at, and the fan in the front should be more than adequate in cooling the drives. I am running two of the WD 750GB drives in an HTPC case without a fan moving air across the drives and it has been working fine since October.
 
most likely with a Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP case

I bought one of those for a Buddie's build when they were 15.00. That case has cooling out the wazoo. Don't mount the drives next to each other and you'll be good to go.

Welcome to the forums and good luck!
 
I've got a Yate Loon 1350rpm fan @ 5V (I think its like 600-700rpm) in front intake on my CM690, I have 4 HDDs too, even that slow fan can easily cool 4 HDDs.
 
nah you wont need drive cooling until your into multi (more than 2) drive raid arrays and such...
 
Back
Top