• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do I have a Bad core?

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
11,020
My readout on CPU-z keeps changing. I locked the all the settings in the bios and boosted the voltage by +.1 and it still does this. What am I looking at here?

ka2o0m.jpg
 
Bad core? No. This is merely a energy saving feature. Disabling Speedstep and C1E stops this (the bouncing Mhz) from happening.
 
Thanks I'm having trouble getting this guy to be stable at anything pass 1066 and I was getting worried. I must be looking in the wrong direction.
 
above is correct but I want to warn you....

680i's hate quads.

Getting them to OC to levels that are easy to reach on Intel boards is a chore. Expect to have to fight it the whole way for anything other than a mild OC. Still, with work you should be able to get 2.8 - 3.0 without too much trouble. I would suggest unlinking the ram and underclocking it with a 1:1 ratio and see where you can take the cpu and then go back and work on getting the ram up to rated speed.

2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR800 - Go ahead and give the ram 2.1V even when underclocked (which is its Corsair recommended Max voltage and it will not affect your warranty.)
 
above is correct but I want to warn you....

680i's hate quads.

Getting them to OC to levels that are easy to reach on Intel boards is a chore. Expect to have to fight it the whole way for anything other than a mild OC. Still, with work you should be able to get 2.8 - 3.0 without too much trouble. I would suggest unlinking the ram and underclocking it with a 1:1 ratio and see where you can take the cpu and then go back and work on getting the ram up to rated speed.

2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR800 - Go ahead and give the ram 2.1V even when underclocked (which is its Corsair recommended Max voltage and it will not affect your warranty.)

Thanks I switched it out with a Foxconn M7VMX-K spare board I had waiting for use. I agree my striker is rated as a hit an miss board and has been funky lately so I'm RMAing that just in case. I'll try that out when I get home.
 
check your vid. 1.360 volts is pretty damn high for stock. That right there is probably your oc killer.
 
is that with eist or c1e enabled?

My VID is 1.225 and I hit 4.0 Ghz on air. But, then again..... I think I ended up with an amazing chip. I run it at 8*450 now.

It must be the 680i or ram.
 
is that with eist or c1e enabled?

My VID is 1.225 and I hit 4.0 Ghz on air. But, then again..... I think I ended up with an amazing chip. I run it at 8*450 now.

It must be the 680i or ram.

Fully stable?

Then yes, you ended up with a excellent chip, as most Q6600 will top around 3.4-3.6 before they become voltage whores the higher you go.
 
I notice a lot of people are asking if Speedstep is disabled, almost as if Speedstep is a bad thing.

The behavior you are seeing is normal intended behavior and it's a good thing. Speedstep won't slow your computer down or prevent you from overclocking or anything.
 
I notice a lot of people are asking if Speedstep is disabled, almost as if Speedstep is a bad thing.

The behavior you are seeing is normal intended behavior and it's a good thing. Speedstep won't slow your computer down or prevent you from overclocking or anything.

I think that's quite true, except when there's a slew of games on the market which don't properly engage the CPU into high performance mode. AMD and Intel both suffer from this--gamers don't have much of a choice but to disable it.
 
I think that's quite true, except when there's a slew of games on the market which don't properly engage the CPU into high performance mode. AMD and Intel both suffer from this--gamers don't have much of a choice but to disable it.

I don't think games are aware of speedstep, this is a bit past their reach. It depends on the load of the game-- if the game is stressing the cpu, it'll clock up, if not it wont. Its all based on current need.
 
I think that's quite true, except when there's a slew of games on the market which don't properly engage the CPU into high performance mode. AMD and Intel both suffer from this--gamers don't have much of a choice but to disable it.

Examples? I have never seen this happen with my Q9650 in any game I've played.
 
No, it actually works very well.

On desktops, it sucks. I have used it. Really if you are overclocking it does. If not, I guess it could have it's benefits. But to me it's much better implemented on laptops.;)
 
On desktops, it sucks. I have used it. Really if you are overclocking it does. If not, I guess it could have it's benefits. But to me it's much better implemented on laptops.;)

Speedstep didn't stop me from getting my Q6600 to 3.6Ghz or my Q9650 to 4.4Ghz (and yes, I tried it without to make sure I couldn't overclock even further). Perhaps you could give some examples where Speedstep created problems for you, where you were able to actually identify speedstep as the problem?

Seems to me more than anything else it just bugs some people to see their processor get clocked down, and want to believe it's causing problems; but I've yet to see any real arguments for turning it off.
 
You want to make sure your cpu is running full speed. I'm an overclocker, so it's always full speed. No power management ever. It's ridiculous unless you are running like a home theater comp and or not overclocked.
 
On desktops, it sucks. I have used it. Really if you are overclocking it does. If not, I guess it could have it's benefits. But to me it's much better implemented on laptops.;)
I have two overclocked Core 2 machines running right now with Speedstep enabled, and it works admirably. So no, it does not suck, and I use it.
 
OP what is the VID on your q6600?

i have a b3 and i think (not sure cause im not at my pc right now) my VID is 1.3

to get mine to run at 3.2 i have the volts set to 1.325 in the bios and it show as 1.296 in cpuz
 
You want to make sure your cpu is running full speed.

With speedstep your CPU is running at full speed, when you need it. When you don't need it, why do you need it running at "full speed"?

I'm an overclocker, so it's always full speed. No power management ever.

Again, why? What is your reasoning? Considering that there is no slowdown under load, nor does speedstep affect your ability to overclock, what is wrong with power management at idle?

It's ridiculous unless you are running like a home theater comp and or not overclocked.

I would argue that Speedstep is even more important when you overclock, since overclocking will make your processor much less efficient and any gains from power saving will likely be greater.

Not that I'm expecting you to actually explain your reasoning, easier to just repeat your unsubstantiated opinion again for a 5th time.
 
Thats where Im at now. Working my way up but my pc would randomly lock up at 1301 and 1.31v so I backed it down 10Mhz and upped the voltage by .05.

Unfortunately my temps seem high. Not sure where Im gonna go next. Waiting to run orthos at bedtime or PC locks up.

33ois6r.jpg
 
Back
Top