Do games cheat?

A lot of games cheat but you can use the same cheats they do. An example is SF:Rush. The computer would cheat and use the in-game reset to help get an edge. In some areas of the game it is faster to crash and restart further up the track then it is to take the track. All you need to do is watch the computer crash and use the same short cuts. You could do the same in games like mario kart which has the dirtist catch-up feature I have ever seen. All you do is hang low until the last lap and take everyone out. :)

swatbat said:
A lot of games cheat but you can use the same cheats they do. An example is SF:Rush. The computer would cheat and use the in-game reset to help get an edge. In some areas of the game it is faster to crash and restart further up the track then it is to take the track. All you need to do is watch the computer crash and use the same short cuts. You could do the same in games like mario kart which has the dirtist catch-up feature I have ever seen. All you do is hang low until the last lap and take everyone out. :)

Mario Kart is just evil.

Shell someone, then speedboost aahead, and they are on your ass again in half a second

zombies ate my neighbors, friggin xx level, impossible to rescue the baby, and spider comes, kills it, game over. truely impossible.

ridge racer cheated on last level

hmmm howa bout grand theft auto? III and vice.cops chasing you, lots more.

Of course games cheat. Play Q3 and set the hardest AI. Spectate them and see how they use the rail and plasma gun. That's pure aimbot stuff. But since they are stupid you can still beat them in other ways.

I believe it'll be a long time before computer AI offers natural competition. Which is why people play online. Cause AI is repetitive and boring.

:mad: Oh do they soooo cheat.. They especially love to cheat in EA's racing games..

I qualify getting the pole position (if not in the top 10). The race is on, turn a few laps. Eventually I make it to the head of the pack. I lead for several laps. After a while Im
in the racing groove, then the laps start whizzing buy. Then 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 laps
to go Im still in the lead. The white flag is out, 1 lap to go. Going into turn 2 the 2nd place
car rubbs my bumper just enough to knock my car out of the groove into a spin. I end up back in 10th place. With less than 1/2 of a lap left the game cheats me out of the win..

:mad: Those " *%#*@)# " !!!

This brings back a memory of Need For Speed 4: Pourch Unleashed :p

I was watching my replay, and noticed that the particular car I was driveing was at its top speed during a portion of the race (and I had moxed out its stats), yet another car of the same type managed to pass me and keep on zooming :eek:

I was like "WTF? HAX!!!"

Komataguri said:
When Ghandi attacked me with slavers and an armada of soldiers, I decided against playing Civillization games.

Fricken Ghandi.

Not exactly a cheat, but god damn...Fricken Ghandi!

You never saw GHANDI II?

"No more mister passive resistance. He's out to kick some butt."

/am I old?

Don't know if someone mentioned it, but Burnout 3 (and Legends and Revenge, I believe) use the rubber-band speed...the computers will ALWAYS either be on your ass, or not too far ahead.

Heh, in Lego Racers, the host of the track would always be right on your tail, even if you're both lapping everyone else. And they always got way more wormholes than I ever did...
Took me like 3 weeks to beat a single track. And after that it was all easy untill the end.

In RTS, the ai really dont have fog of war? that's gay! good thing I just play multiplayer.

swatbat said:
You could do the same in games like mario kart which has the dirtist catch-up feature I have ever seen. All you do is hang low until the last lap and take everyone out. :)
That is the only sure way of winning that game against AI or real players. Just hang back straight away and pickup a lightning, wait to the final lap, zap! over take and win. FAR easier and less skilful that actually holding first place the whole race.

Zoramac said:
Just musing.. but wouldnt it be fun to be able to run something like punkbuster in these games and have it ban the ai
Seriously, that's the greatest thing I've read all week! Having been thoroughly pissed off with the cheating AI in Hitman Contracts lately, it would be *SO* nice to have all the A.I. just fucking kicked and banned from the game. Life time ban we're talking about here, and their 'accounts' permanantly suspended also.

Though having said that, cheating A.I. makes it so much more satisfying when you discover an unstoppable exploit against them. You just sit back and laugh, "stoopid dumb bots, haw haw, oh how you love walking straight into my simple little trap.".

somecallmeTim said:
Maybe they know "all" keyboard shortcuts and there is not delay from one command to the next.. yah... that must be it... it' can't be me :D
Actually, you have something there. The computer can issue a whole slew of commands to multiple untis or groups in the blink of an eye. We have to manually select, drag, click, scroll, what-have-you multiple times for everything. Shortcuts are nice but they'll never eliminate that huge disparity in time.

This is really noticeable in that first minute of an RTS, when you madly try to take stock of your surroundings to find the best place to build this, defend that, scout here, etc. The software just does it immediately and has units rolling out well before the player. It gets to the point where the player must almost place himself into a macro mode where he plays the first minute the same way every time, in order to ensure he doesn't fart around too long at the beginning of the game.

A year or two ago, I was on some forum for, umm, Empire Earth. People were describing their human-macros, including telling how many seconds from the start of the game that it took them to roll out certain units. You should not have to do that in order to win. I'd like to see an AI slider for the 'human factor' - the occasional indecision, the time spent actually LOOKING at the terrain your scouts have exposed, figuring out where to build, that sort of thing.

And another thing, the programmers should consider the interface as well. Some shooters like to be somewhat realistic in their physics but sight distance and LOS are a couple weak ones. When you get hit from an enemy at a distance where he is only a tiny spec on the screen and where the fog feature makes it tough to discern if that's an APC or a bush, well, that ain't right. While the computer may have LOS, that should not automatically assume that one could see the target, much less determine that it IS a target. What I mean by considering the interface is that the physics model may allow for the most minute details but the screen itself has a role in determining whether or not you can identify a target. There is a huge difference between gaming at 1024x 768 and 1920x1200 and maybe the software could consider the different video settings when setting up the AI on shooters. It's a minor point, I know.

Interesting thread. I remember the original Joe Montana Football for genesis, we're talking pre sports-talk games, used to drive me nuts in the Super Bowl. Sooooo many times I'd be winning at the end, trying to run out the clock, and they could just run the whole damn ball back even from kickoff. I mean how many times should this really happen to you without expecting rage. Some button just kind of ducks your head when you are running even though it might have been called the stiff arm button, and it could cause the would be tackler to bounce off. But yeah, super human football player would just knock off like 6 or 7 tacklers and cruise up the field. Furthermore, even as a young-ing eventually you'd know everything they do, there pattern. You'd end up with some unstoppable plays, my cousin could pull off onside kicks with a success rate probably around 85%.

I remember MK2, my fav game of all time. Anyone who played this religiously knows jumping was a huge risk. It had to be done to counter a projectile or cautiously against the other seasoned arcade vets. In the game, you jump backwards they jump towards you to try and keep up... prepare to be juggled biotch! Jump punch, teleport punch, spear, uppercut! Or Fan suck, jump kick, fan toss, flying punch with Kitana. Alright I guess thats not the game cheating it's just being stupid. Boss could be beaten by staying real close, pouncinig on low kick, sure he'd just keep blocking, and extremely slowly, you wear Shao Kahn out.

Football games do this too, pro evo/Winning eleven is pretty bad for it, the referee always gives freekicks to the comp yet the same tackle or usually a worse onefrom them gets me nothing. If you score - goals al of a sudden the other team starts pwning, and the best yet is the crap 36+ year old defenders that can catch forwards that are as fast as the game can make :rolleyes:

yes computer cheats, remember NBA jam? it wasn't even subtle cheating, but everytime the comp has the ball and its the on the buzzer the comp will ALWAYS make the shot wherever they are. whenever i'm tied up with the comp and its a buzzer shot i dont even bother seeing if it will go in...i just hit reset

^ Lol... yeah forgot about that one. All of a sudden your guys aren't worthy of playing real life college ball while before they had superhuman skills, then they lay more bricks than construction companies. And up by 2 with .2 ticks to go? You lose.... 95% of the time. Full court fling ftw. If you're up by more with some time still to play, now they hold onto the ball through all your shoves, while your guys start flying every shove.

Jeriko_Cherry said:
I've played plenty of fighting games that cheat as well. Cervantes from Soul Caliber being one of the biggest headaches. I could normally wash the floor with this guy but ever 3-4 times playing him it turned into "Your Not Gunna Win"-mode and he would pull some crazy three move combo that would kill me in a couple seconds. Damn that was frustrating.
I kinda experienced that... But after getting good with all the characters, I realized that Cervantes is simply the easiest, by far, to link moves with (runners-up included Kilik, Nightmare/Sigfried, and Maxi). God, that game rocks. I need to get my damned Dreamcast back... But it's all the way the fuck in Illinois, along with my SNES. Damn, I'm an idiot for not packing those.

NFSU had laughably bad AI. If you just hung out in second place a little bit behind the lead car, then boosted like crazy during the last half of the last lap, it was easy to win any race in that game.

I seem to recall Midnight Club II having impossibly good AI, but it was still fun. The only time I've felt better about beating something in a game than beating the Paris level near the end of that game, was beating the Egypt stage in Hydro Thunder on the Dreamcast. Took me like 4 fucking hours to beat that thing.

Daytona USA was always horrible about the catch-up. What made it worse is that it applied those physics for other human players.

Back in the day when the arcades would have the massive 8 person machines, I'd always have to pick the harder tracks and not the oval since anyone could randomly win if they didn't go into the final lap in the lead....at least on the hard tracks if you had skill you were guaranteed the win.

I hate the catch-up.

I was so gonna mention the RC ProAm and Mario Kart, but that's taken. The only top tier racing game that I can think of without the super turbo catch up is the first Gran Turismo and that got boring for me after a while. I used to roll with the Mitsubishi GTO twin turbo if remember correctly.

Remember how the CPU in Street Fighter 2 would grab you when you were blocking?
Throw fireballs faster than any human can do the motions?
Magically half the damage that you dish out to him?
Cheap bastard.

Or how about in GTA? Yuo can be in a Banshee but a SWAT van just happens to be able to out-accelerate you and smash you into a wall?

The AI cheats in Microsoft Hearts. If you EVER try to short yourself on spades, you WILL end up with the queen of spades. You will inevitably get either the queen, the king, or the ace on the pass, something that is statistically unlikely to happen every time.

Kevlarman said:
Remember how the CPU in Street Fighter 2 would grab you when you were blocking?
Throw fireballs faster than any human can do the motions?
Magically half the damage that you dish out to him?
Cheap bastard.

Or how about in GTA? Yuo can be in a Banshee but a SWAT van just happens to be able to out-accelerate you and smash you into a wall?
lol did u ever steal the swat van? or the fbi cars? those fuckers can MOVE.

Nihilanth99 said:
Not sure about the game in question, but quite a number of racing games cheat; Need For Speed: Underground being a perfect example. Just try to get a decent lead on the opponents :p Wipe them out into a stationary object and they'll be on your ass in a few seconds...
Yeah, you hit the wall doing 120 in 6th gear and come to a complete stop. The opponent hits the wall doing 122 in 6th gear and doesn't even stop moving. Just keeps on going like the wall wasn't even there.

I've found a neat little trick to get around that though. Turn on Stability control if it's off or turn it off if it's on then make the transmission an Automatic. You'll catch up pretty quick.

I'm playing NFS:U2 and have done this several times and managed to win the race even if I've hit the wall and come to a complete stop several times.

Aelfgeft said:
QFT. I remember when the original AOE2 came out, everyone would start out neutral.
Let me set the record straight. Age of Empires does *NOT* cheat. The AI never looked through the fog of war. You were schooled by darn good scripting done by Sandy Petersen. Once one AI sees you, it will share the information with the other allied civs once they have the appropriate technology.

One other quick note: You can edit and view the AI scripts for any Age of Empires, Civ II and III and Alpha Centauri games. These games do not violate the fog of war rule for players. You can look at the AI code and see for yourself how it works.

Torgo said:
One other quick note: You can edit and view the AI scripts for any Age of Empires, Civ II and III and Alpha Centauri games. These games do not violate the fog of war rule for players. You can look at the AI code and see for yourself how it works.
that would hurt

QuimZ said:
I was so gonna mention the RC ProAm and Mario Kart, but that's taken. The only top tier racing game that I can think of without the super turbo catch up is the first Gran Turismo and that got boring for me after a while. I used to roll with the Mitsubishi GTO twin turbo if remember correctly.

lmao... the GTO twin turbo... oh the memories of 900-1000HP :D that car smoked everyhting :p

In starcraft, is it just me, or do the buildings of the AI build just a little bit faster?

And, how did that guy break a desktop?

I read a story one time about a guy that was playing an old baseball game on the NES. I can't remember the name of the game for the life of me though :( but anyways. The guy was playing on the hardest difficulty setting and was winning 22 to 0. It was the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and he was one out away from winning. Well, the computer proceeded to hit 23 straight solo home run shots. Every pitch that he would throw no matter if it was a ball or strike the computer would hit it out of the park. Needless to say he lost the game 22 to 23.

The guy was so pissed that he broke both NES right after playing.

I remember playing Mortal Kombat 3 for Playstation and Cyrax did his compactor move from half screen. An obviously impossible feat.

Having a difficult AI isn't cheating. You're the human, the hero. You're supposed to win, yet be challenged at the same time. To meet these requirements, some things need to be tweaked.

pr0pensity said:
I remember playing Mortal Kombat 3 for Playstation and Cyrax did his compactor move from half screen. An obviously impossible feat.

Having a difficult AI isn't cheating. You're the human, the hero. You're supposed to win, yet be challenged at the same time. To meet these requirements, some things need to be tweaked.
its not difficult ai. its lazy dev ai.

Two nice cheat stories...one about seeing an AI cheat and one about me exploiting the AI's cheating.

Remember in Red Alert you could only build one type of unit at a time? Like one tank, or one soldier? and the only thing you could do was put more plants or barracks down to make the build faster? I actually saw the AI pop two heavy Russian tanks out of two separate tank pens AT THE SAME TIME! Talk about super cheating.

A great way to exploit Age of EmpiresI/II and Mythology's AI:

Build a wall clear across the map and leave an opening as a choke point. Build more walls to give the AI a path to follow to get into your area. Don't make it too long...kinda like this:

AgeStuff.jpg

Now, line the choke point with guard towers (indicated with G), and Hill forts if you're playing AoM as Norse (indicated with H); substitute the Hill Forts with more guard towers if playing AoE I or II and double them up. At the very end of the choke point put a bunch of military buildings (indicated with M) so you can quickly create units to send into battle.

The AI will always walk into the choke point instead of attacking your walls in other areas to infiltrate. If you close up your defenses with walls, not only will the AI attack with greater numbers, it will also attack earlier. The AI can detect if you have an enclosed wall to your city and will cheat to create more units to attack with. Having the open spot will make it think it has a clear path to you and won't cheat and it will also attack later in the game. Having all the guard towers will help kill the enemy instead of wasting too many military units.

-MacG467

MacGyver467 said:
Two nice cheat stories...one about seeing an AI cheat and one about me exploiting the AI's cheating.

Remember in Red Alert you could only build one type of unit at a time? Like one tank, or one soldier? and the only thing you could do was put more plants or barracks down to make the build faster? I actually saw the AI pop two heavy Russian tanks out of two separate tank pens AT THE SAME TIME! Talk about super cheating.

A great way to exploit Age of EmpiresI/II and Mythology's AI:

Build a wall clear across the map and leave an opening as a choke point. Build more walls to give the AI a path to follow to get into your area. Don't make it too long...kinda like this:

AgeStuff.jpg

Now, line the choke point with guard towers (indicated with G), and Hill forts if you're playing AoM as Norse (indicated with H); substitute the Hill Forts with more guard towers if playing AoE I or II and double them up. At the very end of the choke point put a bunch of military buildings (indicated with M) so you can quickly create units to send into battle.

The AI will always walk into the choke point instead of attacking your walls in other areas to infiltrate. If you close up your defenses with walls, not only will the AI attack with greater numbers, it will also attack earlier. The AI can detect if you have an enclosed wall to your city and will cheat to create more units to attack with. Having the open spot will make it think it has a clear path to you and won't cheat and it will also attack later in the game. Having all the guard towers will help kill the enemy instead of wasting too many military units.

-MacG467
That, is awesome. I never thought of that.

I usually build a wall..then put in gates and as I'm building up my forces I lock the gates but I always seem to get attacked and I never seem to have enough troops either no matter what. I usually end up spawning like 10-30 Cobras to help beat back the attacks but then I get bored and decide to use the Cobras to attck teh other AI cities.

Back