Do games cheat?

Zoramac

Limp Gawd
I'm wondering if games can cheat? Sometimes when im bored i play atomic cannon, its a re-hash of the old artillery game where you try to kill the ai tanks with your tanks. i usually play against 3-4 computer opponents, and when i start to win i swear they all gang up on me. they stop shooting at each other and just attack me with 80% of thier shots and they make impossible ones while they are at it. the wind is always against me, in that it will constantly change directions while im shooting, but while the ai shoots it stays rock steady and on the extremely rare occasion when it does change on them, they still hit me dead-on. do they really cheat or is it just my imagination?

Not sure about the game in question, but quite a number of racing games cheat; Need For Speed: Underground being a perfect example. Just try to get a decent lead on the opponents :p Wipe them out into a stationary object and they'll be on your ass in a few seconds...

It is a crux for programmers. They are too lazy to program good artificial intelligence so they artificially boost the intelligence of their AI by making it unrealistically better/stronger/faster if you are succeeding.

Nihilanth99 said:
Not sure about the game in question, but quite a number of racing games cheat; Need For Speed: Underground being a perfect example. Just try to get a decent lead on the opponents :p Wipe them out into a stationary object and they'll be on your ass in a few seconds...

Thats the exact type of thing im talking about. when a game mysteriously suspends all normal physics and probability (that apply to you) just to come back for TEH WIN

It's known as EA Comeback mode.

And yes. Almost all games cheat.

Games blatently cheat and it fucking sucks. Maybe just maybe this new Physics card can help programmers make some real AI. Not sure.

Just musing.. but wouldnt it be fun to be able to run something like punkbuster in these games and have it ban the ai

BF2 AI uses wall hacks and aim bots, not even kidding.

Load up a game at Gulf of Oman. Get on a building crawling around. Without being seen let the enemy come close. They will start shooting at the building where you are. They can't hit you becaue of the angle bu they should not be able to see you.
They also do this with fences. Some of them even kill you before you get around the fence shooting you through it. I understand that you can die from getting shot though the fence, but its unfair that you can't even see them and then BAM your dead.

Lazy AI. The best AI I can remember is the Covenant from Halo 2 on Legendary. Those guys would hide, distract, block hurt teamates, and flank you. I don't remember anything that good.

Most racing games contian something called "Catch Up" to keep the pressure on the player, its not really fun if your a really good racer and just blow away the CPU Racers, just lapping them isn't fun...

I don't think all games cheat, but many do use common and often used tricks from players and obvious things.

Play a game like ncaa football 2006, go for 2, line up a quaterback draw from the shotgun, the D will be in a goalline. like up to pass out of the EXACT same shotgun formation. D will be in a pass formation.

Games cheat.

If I am losing, the game is cheating, that's for sure. Ask my broken controller collection. ;)

Due to rudimentary Ai on the part of the program, which BTW the programmers not only don't have the time to make it truely competetive, as a human would be, it is not possible. A machine at this juncture can not actually think. Therefore it will always be limited in a sense. The Ai oponents, however are given different stats and "cheat" in a sense in order to make them harder and make them seem that they are on the same level. So they are challenging, but by no means smart. If you watch them long enough you'll find them to be pretty stupid.

Some games manage passable Ai, such as HL1 and Far Cry. But those are rare gems in that department.

name said:
If I am losing, the game is cheating, that's for sure. Ask my broken controller collection. ;)

I'll see you your broken controller collection and raise you one busted desktop .... :)

RTS games are known for cheating.

They'll peek through the fog of war and know where you are.

LordBritish said:
RTS games are known for cheating.

They'll peek through the fog of war and know where you are.

QFT. I remember when the original AOE2 came out, everyone would start out neutral. It was a free for all, and you might get attacked by the AI or you might now. Then came The Conquerors expansion, and numerous updates like the farm reseed queue made the game more enjoyable.

Only now, you had to determine teams. And once you did, you were all enemies. Don't dare play by yourself with 7 other CPU players, because they will all launch an attack on you at once. Try fighting off 7 platoons attacking from all sides.

Also, I remember Shogo, Blood 2, and other LithTech games usually had omnipotent AI. You could crawl in bunny slippers on carpet up to a corner, and you could see the tip of their guns pointed at you.

Eh well, makes it a bit more challenging :D

play nfl blitz. my friend dumped a cheat code in to get like 80 points, and every damn play afterward he fumbled and they got a td.

I read somewhere once that the greatest illusion in gaming is the PC pretending that it doesn't know where you are. :p

Can't rember if it was a Doom or a Quake article.

My CS bots wall hack me and aimbot me.

Yeah the computer will always know where you are at.

Racing games suck at cheating tho god I hate that so much.

Civ III great example.

If you get 2 or 3 ages ahead of computer and go to attack them the comp makes thier units all powerful for example taking your tank and attacking a spearman and having the spearman destroy your tank, would happend alot in that game...

Or in just about "any" RTS... you think your crusing along well and have just discovered "fire", and the AI comes over the hill in anti-grav tanks and troops armed with plasma rifles... <sigh> I'm old and slow, but not THAT slow.

Maybe they know "all" keyboard shortcuts and there is not delay from one command to the next.. yah... that must be it... it' can't be me :D

Peace,
Tim

somecallmeTim said:
Or in just about "any" RTS... you think your crusing along well and have just discovered "fire", and the AI comes over the hill in anti-grav tanks and troops armed with plasma rifles... <sigh> I'm old and slow, but not THAT slow.

Maybe they know "all" keyboard shortcuts and there is not delay from one command to the next.. yah... that must be it... it' can't be me :D

Peace,
Tim
well it can kinda control every unit and building at once. wish i had that kinda of efficiency

WoW cheats alot. you have some caster mob start a spell on you, i go to travel form and take off out of range (im a druid) and have the spell go off when im 60 yards away and have this energy blob slowly catch up with me. but when im casting a spell, and they get an inch out of range, i get an error

Like above, the yellow car in the NES classic - RC Pro Am. How about that Baja Truck game - Super Offroad? Around level 25 or so, they'd all get infinite Nitrous... or better, you'd hit yours, and they'd all get the same hit, for free.

Aggrevating, for sure :)

In the interests of defending the computer scientists, AI is a pretty tough problem. For example, the game "Go" (popular in Japan/Asia), is a very simple game. It takes about 5 minutes to learn the rules. The rules are simpler than those of Chess! Yet, "so far, no computer has managed to even compete with any professional players."

It simply isn't feasible at this time to make the computer opponents in most games truly competitive with a human.

More info: http://www.aihorizon.com/essays/goai/intro.htm or just google Go and AI.

games do cheat... especially racing games...

nFS underground's catch up logic is so freaking cheap...

i had to throw my controller many times

I've played plenty of fighting games that cheat as well. Cervantes from Soul Caliber being one of the biggest headaches. I could normally wash the floor with this guy but ever 3-4 times playing him it turned into "Your Not Gunna Win"-mode and he would pull some crazy three move combo that would kill me in a couple seconds. Damn that was frustrating.

EA sports is the biggest abuser of this... their hockey is the same way... if you get a score that is like 5 more than them... then BAM, they turn into 'UBER' and they go faster than you, your goalie all of a sudden can't stop a puck, and their goalie turns into an early '90's Patrick Roy, and is like a wall that can't be penetrated.

RANT RANT RANT

QJ

You have to admit though that some developers are just lazy. For RTS games this is obvious. Give the AI a real fog of war just like you have and make it only register units that are visible, and react based on those as well as follow some general "I better be ready for whatever they're doing that I can't see" building orders, and make it send out scouts/etc to random points on the map (making the player start locations a slightly higher priority) to reveal fog and find the player.

Honestly RTS AI might be the easiest to code (compared to mmo, fps, and other types) yet developers are still lazy. Take Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun for example. If they expanded on the AITrigger system just a little and made the AI factor in fog of war, it would've been a lot more interesting.

Another example, especially from red alert 2, is that the AI doesn't follow the prerequisites for building anything unless it's set in the aitriggers - meaning you can't have a combination of prerequisite units and structures AND conditions (i.e. I have X of this, they have Y of that).

Aelfgeft said:
Eh well, makes it a bit more challenging :D

QFT <--- woo hoo, my first time using this acronym. Anyway, yeah, it just makes you try harder and become better than the cheating system. :) I've never come across an 'unbeatable' game, despite it's anti-user tactics.

Yes, this may be true, but how many times have you exclaimed "This game is IMPOSSIBLE" or something worse after trying something for the 1,428th time? Then, mysteriously, after much screaming, slamming things, and shaking with rage, everything miraculously falls into place and you finally get it.

When Ghandi attacked me with slavers and an armada of soldiers, I decided against playing Civillization games.

Fricken Ghandi.

Not exactly a cheat, but god damn...Fricken Ghandi!

Komataguri said:
When Ghandi attacked me with slavers and an armada of soldiers, I decided against playing Civillization games.

Fricken Ghandi.

Not exactly a cheat, but god damn...Fricken Ghandi!

HAHAHAHA

screw the AI, i wanna know when i headshot someone 3 times in Halo they are still alive, with out the oversheild mind you.......but they some how see my sniper trail and head shot me 2 times with pistol and i die?

i think if a game is modded by anyway or it detects 3rd party programs i think it should be listed on the server itself.......

and i hated playing NFS hot persuit on pc.......those cops, serriously........thats what we need on the roads these days :p

how can a cop sitting on the side of a road catch up to a mclaren f1? i mean come on i was going 220mph and he was sitting still!!!!!!

i wish games would get more real, and less "the house rules" mentality

soulsaver

Back