Do all TN panels have flawed backlights?

spicey

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have a 19" Viewsonic VX922 and decided to upgrade to a 24" widescreen.

So far I've had 3 monitors but sent all back for refund. Each one had dreadful backlight bleeding.

Of the 3 makes namely Samsung, LG and Iiyama not one was even close to having an even image. The problem would be evident on OS boots, watching films and games such as Gears of War (dark and gloomy).

The Samsung had 'flashlights' both top and bottom of the screen, twice as bright as the rest of the screen. The LG had big blotches both left and right taking up a quarter of the image either side. The Iiyama had unevenness all over - a blotchy type 'mura effect'.

The question is, is there a manufacturer that produces screens that do not have these issues? Are all TN panels this bad? It seems to me as the screens are getting higher contrast ratios and higher brightness that the flaws with the technology are more evident... what's going on?

Yeah they pretty much are all that bad. Although I have seen a couple Samsung 226bw's with somewhat acceptable bleed, but I've seen other 226bw's that were horrible so they clearly aren't all good. So I guess it is "possible" to find something decent but I'd say your chances are pretty slim.

Yes, pretty much akll TN's. There are different levels of bad though.

I have a 19" Samsung that I returned locally 2-3 times before I got one that I was willing to live with. Still looked REAL freaking bad in Doom3 back then :(

My 24" BenQ doesn't really have the problem though. There can still be some improvement to blacks in dark gloomy places, but not much, it's very nearly approached CRT from what my eyes can tell anyway. I think it's an MVA. I stay far away from TN.

TN's are garbage...my 2007WFP S-IPS beening using it for years and has no bleed at all

No backlight bleed on my BenQ g2400w, however my Dell 2407 which is not a TN panel i believe did have some bleed in the corners

I can re-affirm XR7's estimation,

My BenQ G2400W has the same or less backlight bleed than my BenQ FP241VW or Westinghouse L2410NM which are both A-MVA and MVA panels respectively.

Regards,

10e

I have a 2407, no bleed at all. Hate TN.

I'm certainly not going to argue the pro's and cons of TN panels I'm just saying that I don't believe that Backlight bleed is inherent to TN panels more so than any other panel.

The 3 lcd's I've had are the Gateway FPD2185 Dell 2407 a02 and this BenQ,and this is the first with no back light bleed and its the only one with a TN panel.

This is not to say that the BenQ has the best PQ but simply that its the only one without Backlight problems.

Yeah I have to agree just upgraded my TN panel best thing ever S-PVA just a way better montior and quality night and day difference

I have a 24 inch TN panel, and there is a slight bleed, but nothing distracting at all. I play lots of dark gloomy games (GOW, and Crysis) and it plays them fine. I think it more or less depends on the particular display.

Back