Dlink 5 port GB Switch - $15 AR ($10 rebate)

Another problem with d-link is the customer support. It's in india and not only is there a communication barrier, but it's VERY difficult to get actual support or -- god forbid -- an RMA. Youd think after ~4 units I'd have gotten some satisfaction, but ... no, not really. They do everything to avoid a return.

To be fair, neatgear is somewhat similiar but at least I know from experience that their metal units last longer (definitely).

Another problem with d-link is the customer support. It's in india and not only is there a communication barrier, but it's VERY difficult to get actual support or -- god forbid -- an RMA. Youd think after ~4 units I'd have gotten some satisfaction, but ... no, not really. They do everything to avoid a return.

To be fair, neatgear is somewhat similiar but at least I know from experience that their metal units last longer (definitely).

Gosh, after 4 units, I would just maybe look at something else on your network that maybe causing whatever problem you placed at blame on D-Link.

I love my D-Link 8-port Gigabit switch. Paired up with the D-Link DIR-655 they work great for LANs.

Another problem with d-link is the customer support. It's in india and not only is there a communication barrier, but it's VERY difficult to get actual support or -- god forbid -- an RMA. Youd think after ~4 units I'd have gotten some satisfaction, but ... no, not really.

I would be EXTREMELY shocked if I called for support on *ANY* equipment like this and got someone that wasn't in India.

I would be EXTREMELY shocked if I called for support on *ANY* equipment like this and got someone that wasn't in India.

Linksys wasnt for awhile. But the wait times sucked ass.

That is what it usually ends up being, huge wait times and america, or short wait times and india.

O, and dlink's support shouldnt suck so much ass as they sell a bunch of enterprise and business grade stuff too...

Who actually calls for support on these kind of devices, anyway? Seriously, if you can't hook it up yourself, buck up and call geeksquad already. The only thing "customer support" is actually good for is giving RMA numbers for warranty service, and that's usually available online anyway.

Probably different support teams.

The sad thing is for the most part it is not, at least for the small-medium business stuff

Who actually calls for support on these kind of devices, anyway? Seriously, if you can't hook it up yourself, buck up and call geeksquad already. The only thing "customer support" is actually good for is giving RMA numbers for warranty service, and that's usually available online anyway.

True, but some still need help setting things up and they claim to have support to do so.

Same deal as Tigerdirect. I actually bought through tigerdirect because they have an outlet store in my area. I now have four of these things, and they are excellent. They give good throughput and even support jumbo frames. I find them to be good quality and I have used the first two I bought non stop for quite a while (probably since holiday 2007). BTW limit 2 per customer.

-darkmatter08

Gosh, after 4 units, I would just maybe look at something else on your network that maybe causing whatever problem you placed at blame on D-Link.

They all get glitchy. Suspecting heat, I opened up two different models up and discovered that under normal operation, there were chips that were were *burning* hot. Clearly they needed heatsinks, and although many chips can run under that kind of heat, they cannot with any kind of longevity.

This cheap design that has an obviously limited lifespan, combined with my experience trying to get them past the go-to-the-faq and troubleshooting phase and into the RMA phase, I believe that someone (if not Dlink, then board OEM) depends on failure rates and non-replacement to be profitable.

Now-- I didn't just go out and keep buying D-links like some punkass bitch. One was mine, one was another I'd bought for a family member (I doubted their complaints), one came from a friend (brand new) who got it free with acer laptop, and... I forget where the fourth came from. The point is, they were all in different environments and all failed with the same characteristics --- constant dropouts and restarts, especially in the warmer months. Meanwhile, my 3 metal netgear units still work, although the uplink interface failed on one (5+ years, fwiw).

Back