Divinity: Original Sin

Game was fantastic, I'll give it another play through on a harder difficulty after some kinks are worked out.

My biggest issues (...it's been a month or so, some of this may be fixed)

Items dropping WAY below your level in some areas (including the entire final dungeon of the game....I mean WTF...)

The Tiberium skill making your other weapon skills pointless. Have fun re-rolling once you realize how it works...

Being able to MISS the tiberium skill for your party by declining a quest in the 2nd map. You can find a skill book later, but only one member can use it (gets consumed).

Bout it really. Game has some balance issues with some passive combos and the like (Glass Cannon is god-like), but I don't mind that at all in a game like this.

I don't recall the tenebrium skill being consumed on use, I seem to recall being able to give it to my whole party somehow. Maybe that was the quest, kind of forgot the details.

Not a bad game but my biggest gripe remain the vague clues given about the various quests, after a few of them, it just becomes a tedious scavenger hunt.

I don't recall the tenebrium skill being consumed on use, I seem to recall being able to give it to my whole party somehow. Maybe that was the quest, kind of forgot the details.

IIRC, one of the patches made it so the skillbook wasn't consumed on use. When I played through, it was consumed on use which was a real pain in the ass.

Edit: found the relevant patch notes. It was patched in on September 15th: http://steamcommunity.com/games/230230/announcements/detail/207486173471596259

Last edited:
Man i never did get around to finishing this game. It was so much fun while I was in it, but my interest just petered out a bit.

Pretty sure that was because I was playing on Normal and the game just got too easy. I think when I play again i'll download that Source difficulty mod and start a new game on that. It's more fun when you HAVE to use everything that's given to you, not just constantly using (and winning with) the safe and efficient choices.

It was also frustrating that my game was very old (near when the game came out) and many of the patches didn't apply to already-started games.

Doing the dungeon tutorial seems pretty slick running my 144hz BenQ monitor panning in the game is
really smooth compared to a 60hz where it's a bigger jitter fest.

Man i never did get around to finishing this game. It was so much fun while I was in it, but my interest just petered out a bit.

Pretty sure that was because I was playing on Normal and the game just got too easy. I think when I play again i'll download that Source difficulty mod and start a new game on that. It's more fun when you HAVE to use everything that's given to you, not just constantly using (and winning with) the safe and efficient choices.

It was also frustrating that my game was very old (near when the game came out) and many of the patches didn't apply to already-started games.

I'm in the same boat. Have patches added an in-game option to increase run speed? I had applied a tweak mod but it increased it to 10x TOO FAST instead of like 2x the original.

Did they add any depth to companions as they promised?
(in conversation/characteristics wise)

I'm in the same boat. Have patches added an in-game option to increase run speed? I had applied a tweak mod but it increased it to 10x TOO FAST instead of like 2x the original.

Not that I know of. I have seen some more realistic runspeed mods though

If I finish the main story, can I continue and complete side quests, or do I have to start a new game/load an old save file?

They patched it frequently up until October 30th. They are probably now working on DLC or an expansion.

$24 on Steam through the weekend right now. Seriously considering it. I see some DLC listed for it as well.

I played this game through the 1st tutorial dungeon till the point where you land in the River outside yesterday it sounds awesome with Headphones and little or not stuttering on a 144hz monitor while panning.

Wish I had more time for gaming but just do it on my days off.

$24 on Steam through the weekend right now. Seriously considering it. I see some DLC listed for it as well.

I paid full price on release day. It's worth the money--the only thing i do regret is buying it on release day because there were several large patches which weren't compatible with older saves.

I paid full price on release day. It's worth the money--the only thing i do regret is buying it on release day because there were several large patches which weren't compatible with older saves.

Good deal.

Went ahead and bit. Will get serious with it when I finish DA:I.

My son and I just recently went through this game and it is good. We really enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. I'm hoping more of these game types are coming.

Does anyone know if there's any resource to help you figure out which way to play conversations for the right stat increases? It really kills my enjoyment when I have to savescum to get the right bones for each character.

Why did I ignore this game for so long....

The environmental interaction is AWESOME!

really would love a comprehensive comaparison between this and pillars of eternity

if anyone finds one, please link it

one guy picks this over poe for 'mechanical' reasons...i guess he feels its more polished/etc. than poe and provides true turnbased combat instead of that awkward pauseable realtime stuff

at this point, if I had to buy one it would be this one just from what i've researched but still would like to see a comparison

Just get both Divinity you can interact with objects more so and the environments.

really would love a comprehensive comaparison between this and pillars of eternity

if anyone finds one, please link it

one guy picks this over poe for 'mechanical' reasons...i guess he feels its more polished/etc. than poe and provides true turnbased combat instead of that awkward pauseable realtime stuff

at this point, if I had to buy one it would be this one just from what i've researched but still would like to see a comparison

D:OS -
better combat, but shallower story
more crafting option but have to look up guides if u want full use of it.
extremely shallow NPCs, even companions.
requires more exploring. usually having to explore every inch of the map and clear to keep up the lvling, which turns the progression a bit linear.

PoE (got 8 hours so only from what I have played)
Quest have more diverse options to progress. monsters doesn't give exp and Ignoring combat is an option.
Deeper story and NPC, but tons of texts.
Combat a bit clunky. One spell was buggy.
New system, which is fun but having hard time figuring which of them are 'noobtraps'.

D:OS gives more options to interact with environments which makes combat more fun.
PoE gives me more than one viable choices to play. I prefer PoE currently but I encountered 2 bugs. It may be wise to wait a patch or two.

Last edited:
From the reviews of PoE i've read, the dialogue and reputation is WAAY better than what was offered in D:OS. I actually had to stop playing D:OS again, after starting a new playthrough because of the absolutely retarded Trait system, which gives you bonses to skills and stats from what you say in conversations. It's all hidden away and you can't tell which bonus you'll get.

In PoE, apparently, dialogue choices actually affect your reputation and interaction with NPCs versus some stupid stat bonus.

From the reviews of PoE i've read, the dialogue and reputation is WAAY better than what was offered in D:OS. I actually had to stop playing D:OS again, after starting a new playthrough because of the absolutely retarded Trait system, which gives you bonses to skills and stats from what you say in conversations. It's all hidden away and you can't tell which bonus you'll get.

Yeah I've read about people obsessively save-scumming to go through every dialog option to get the stat bonuses they want. At that point you aren't playing the game; the game is playing you.

Yeah I've read about people obsessively save-scumming to go through every dialog option to get the stat bonuses they want. At that point you aren't playing the game; the game is playing you.

Yea that's me. Eventually I just stop playing the game, which is a bummer. But seriously, I wanted a rogue and I should be able to choose the temperament of my character, not try to remember that I have to act this certain way to get my backstab bonus. Just frustrating.

The game is moddable so i'm still holding out hope that one day we'll see a mod to address the trait system, or at least show you during dialogue the outcome of the choices.

In PoE, apparently, dialogue choices actually affect your reputation and interaction with NPCs versus some stupid stat bonus.

Actually it`s sort of funny, because only the first pip of those traits does anything and rest is just increasing counter as far as I know. So you don`t actually have to pay that much attention to them at all. :p

I bought D:OS a week ago, and kickstarted POE so I'm fresh with both, but haven't gotten far with either. Get both. POE has the atmosphere and mood. DOS has a light hearted feel to it. They both feel very contrasting right now, but not in a bad way.

Thanks for the comparisons above, all. Helps my purchasing decisions. I may get both, eventually, but it sounds like POE is more my speed right now.

Actually it`s sort of funny, because only the first pip of those traits does anything and rest is just increasing counter as far as I know. So you don`t actually have to pay that much attention to them at all. :p

Yea i'm aware.. it's just that when i'm playing on the hardest difficulty and trying to min/max it just really kills it for me. All told those traits are worth:

+2 Reputation / +1 Bartering
+1 Willpower / +1 Willpower with Ally+Leadership
+1 Leadership / +1 Pickpocketing
Immune to Charmed / +1 Charisma
Immune to Fear / +1 Loremaster
+3% Crit / +20% Hit when Backstabbing
+1 Initiative / +1 Sneaking
+1 Crafting / +1 Lucky Charm
Immune to Cursed / 20% Hit on Opportunity Attacks

Stacked right, there's a ton of real bonuses to be had in there. They probably would have been toned down had you been able to easily choose.

But my biggest problem is that some of them are so damn class specific. They should be very generic bonuses at best.

Just got around to playing this, and I am absolutely loving it. Love the turn-based combat and the amount of environmental interaction there is. Excited to play some more.

Finally got around to playing this game I'm level 3 bought a level 3 henchman mage have two mages still can't kill anything really. Found a shovel thanks to youtube video enemies in this game are really tuff. I like the music in the game it's awesome I wasn't a fan of the graphics before I bought the game but I like them after I started playing.

It's a total different game then Pillars of Eternity.

Finally got around to playing this game I'm level 3 bought a level 3 henchman mage have two mages still can't kill anything really. Found a shovel thanks to youtube video enemies in this game are really tuff.

the first part of it was really difficult for me, especially on the harder difficulty, but it doesn't scale well, it gets easier once you leave the starting area. Unless theres a difficulty patch that i didnt hear about

I bought this a while back, and completely forgot about it! Guess it's time to give it a proper whirl.

Back