• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dissapointed in ATI 4870

Confederate

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 13, 2002
Messages
253
I bought a Saffire 4870, and in Call of duty4 or 5 the game is almost unplayable. My old 8800GT seemed alot better. I tried everything and very dissapointed. Wish I knew what to do other than re sell it to get a Geforce.. Any help would be appreciated
 
The card might be damaged,

really basic question but it messes alot of people up, did you plug the aux power connector for the card in? From my experiance, every single nvidia card I've ever forgotten about plugging that thing in has screamed on post, whereas a 4850 my friend owned didnt have such a scream.

and besides that, how did you uninstall/re-install the video drivers?
 
You're card is definitely a wrong one, or lack of power or something. My 4870 flies in Cod4 on max settings + aa + af @ 1920x1200. Never once did it ever feel slow throughout the whole game. That was with my processor @ stock (2.13) speeds.
 
There is a problem with the power supply, the video card or the drivers.
There is not doubt that 4870 > 8800GT.
 
the 4870 crushes the 8800gt in everything and every game. You should look at the rest of your system for problems. I went from a 8800gt to a 4870 and the difference was night and day...
 
You do have the latest drivers (8.11) for your specific OS installed, right? Are your Directx drivers up to date? If so, do you have another PC you can put the card in and test?

If nothing ever comes of the above, RMA.

As the others posted above, my system crushes CoD4 & 5 with everything maxed. No lag, silky smooth.
 
I have both plugs ,plugged in, Its running @ 48c, but all the other games seem fine. Like UT3, I have newest drivers installed 8.11, I tried lowest res, to Highest, graffics lowest to highest. Im stumped how should I test things. Or how would you test certain things, Im Running Vista 32
 
yeah i get 30fps @ 1680 on a 8800GTS 640mb and well over 50-60fps on a 4870 1gb at 1920 maxed settings with COD5
 
Also might want to delete some of your game configs. A lot of games will load up certain defaults that attribute to either nvidia or ATi. Reset the config and it should fix any of those config related issues.
 
I love the details in this thread. "my card seems slow..." Thats about all I got out of it. How about some actual details.
1. Driver version
2. System specs
3. Things you tried to resolve the issue(you have tried everything??WTF does that mean). Did you use a driver cleaner program before installing the new card?
4. How about what settings you are running in your games.

One thing I would suggest, at least with windows, is reinstalling windows. Doing that will get rid of any conflicts or problems that was left over from your 8800gt. Of course do this after you have tried everything else.
 
I went from a 8800gts640 to a single 4850 and got a 30% increase in cod4. i added a second 4850 and got a 66% increase over the 8800. a 4870 is 25% faster than a 4850 so something on your end isnt right for sure.
 
TS makes it seem like the blindly bought the card without doing any research at all. This seems illogical considering that he's been a member fro 6+ years.

Someone with that kind of experience on the board should know better and research what they are purchasing. And with the research done, it will be obvious to them that there is a problem with the card or drivers and not because the 4870 is a slow card.

I mean I'm sure EVERYONE that posts in the videocard section knows that a 4870 will blow through COD4 at max settings and pretty much any resolution.
 
Reinstall the drivers. The 4870 is MUCH faster than your old card, probably 80% faster in COD.

Uninstall the old ones, install "Driver cleaner pro", restart into safe mode, run driver cleaner and select it to remove all ATI files.

Boot Normally, and install the newest beta drivers, not the catalyst ones, and get the newest version of ATI Tray Tools.

This is the *only* way I've been able to enjoy my 4870 - All the other drivers, and the catalyst control panel drivers, are a POS on my machine.
 
One thing that is not related to the topic as such but why does the OP have 6GBs ram but only using 32-bit vista, an upgrade froom xp-64?
 
I bought a Saffire 4870, and in Call of duty4 or 5 the game is almost unplayable. My old 8800GT seemed alot better. I tried everything and very dissapointed. Wish I knew what to do other than re sell it to get a Geforce.. Any help would be appreciated


If your so disappointed with it, I will give you $50 right now for it, cash money. Let me know if your interested....
 
Reinstall the drivers. The 4870 is MUCH faster than your old card, probably 80% faster in COD.

Uninstall the old ones, install "Driver cleaner pro", restart into safe mode, run driver cleaner and select it to remove all ATI files.

Boot Normally, and install the newest beta drivers, not the catalyst ones, and get the newest version of ATI Tray Tools.

This is the *only* way I've been able to enjoy my 4870 - All the other drivers, and the catalyst control panel drivers, are a POS on my machine.

I would like to add to run driver cleaner pro for nvidia drivers too, thats probably part of the problem, he went from nvidia to ati without getting rid of old driver parts...
 
I love the details in this thread. "my card seems slow..." Thats about all I got out of it. How about some actual details.
1. Driver version
2. System specs
3. Things you tried to resolve the issue(you have tried everything??WTF does that mean). Did you use a driver cleaner program before installing the new card?
4. How about what settings you are running in your games.

One thing I would suggest, at least with windows, is reinstalling windows. Doing that will get rid of any conflicts or problems that was left over from your 8800gt. Of course do this after you have tried everything else.

If you look above @ 3 of my comments, you will see I posted my Framerates, operating system, Newest drivers 8.11, which includes driver cleaner,Settings in game are from lowest settings to Highest. 1024x768 to 1600 res.The 8800GT card was with windows XP, Now I am using Vista Ultimate 32, with fresh install of video drivers. And yes the 64 CD is on its way from Microsoft, SO that I can get full use of my Ram. Been waiting 3 weeks now for that. And after using FRAPS, I read 21 fps on COD4, and with Unreal 3 at everything maxed I get 85 fps
Oh where did I say "My card seems slow"?? Anyways Im not here to bicker, Im just looking for ideas, before I send card back. Its a Saffhire Card.
If I am forgetting any more info , just ask.
 
Heres some screen shots, In the second picture, you will see 31 frames that was at the end of a game, the top picture is in menu, so I got like 45 or so.
dfdsf.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg
 
I used to have this weird error in cod4 with my 8800gtx that I believe had to do with faulty sound driver support that caused cod4 to chug really really bad. It also could have had something to do with my cpu overclock I can't remember what I did to get rid of it because not to soon after that I rebuilt my entire system.

For the heck of it if you have your proc oc'd put it at stock and re-run and see if anything happens.
 
Now look how well Unrealtournament 3 is, I havent overclocked anything, so everything is stock..
jjjj.jpg

ytyt.jpg

fgfgf.jpg
 
My 3DMark score are horrible as well with the 4870x2 and I even have it
water cooled and running @35C. I'm running at 2650x1600 on a 30" Dell
with all default settings.

The ATI forum has a lot of complaints about the new 8.11 driver for
this card. Matter of fact most all their drivers are having issues according
to the forums. I'm at wits end on getting this card to perform with a
Rampage Extreme and a q9650. -keith
 
conferderate said:
I have both plugs ,plugged in, Its running @ 48c, but all the other games seem fine. Like UT3, I have newest drivers installed 8.11, I tried lowest res, to Highest, graffics lowest to highest. Im stumped how should I test things. Or how would you test certain things, Im Running Vista 32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Confederate : Yesterday at 01:11 PM.
__________________
Intel dual core 3.ghz , MSI MB platinum P35, 6 gig CORSAIRDominator pc8500, 2 DVD burners all SATA including 320gig HD, ATI 4870 Video card

that might well be your problem. Your operating system might actually only be using 256 or 128 or even less of your video cards memory. You need vista 64.

One thing that is not related to the topic as such but why does the OP have 6GBs ram but only using 32-bit vista, an upgrade froom xp-64?

jeez and someone calls it and everyone ignores him!
 
Time spent as a member means nothing. The above poster's been here for three years, but seems to think the OS flavor limits VRAM. :confused:

Has the OP tried reinstalling COD4 yet? What about limiting startup options in msconfig?

PS. I hate my 4850. There seems to be too much sparkly crap going on as 2 textures meet. It's almost like a vertical shimmer and the 8800GTS 512 I had previously did not do this. That's based on COD4, GRID, and the L4D demo.
 
Drivers jodiuh, drivers...

I wouldnt go as far as to say that i hate my 4850's, but i am definitely in the market for a gtx290 whenever it is released. 6 months of ati drivers have made a believer out of me that nvidia really is better, even with their crappy drivers. Nvidia's drivers are just less crappy than ati. The IQ of my 8800 was also better in every aspect and the driver capabilities much more robust. I miss nhancer as well. I also miss the performance of fsx and tomb raider games on nvidia hardware. Those games runs like ass on ati hardware.
 
Well, unless i have it wrong too, before being sent to a device, information is stored in the ram for quick access so a memory space for the data going to the vram will be reserved and if too much of the OP's ram is used up by programs then it could limit the address space for the system devices no?
 
COD 4 is a strange animal for the 4870.

I've played it with a 4870, 4870 Crossfired, 4870 X2 and Crossfired X2s. Something just isn't right, I also tried about everything I could think of.
Now for other games my XFire was superb, bit overall, I just got no consistancy from game to game. I was always dicking with something, drove me crazy.

At the time I was running Vista x64 on a fresh install and had limited programs installed, and always installed fresh drivers.

I quit ATI, basically because their software just doesn't seem to be utilizing the power they have in their cards.

Nvidia is not perfect, but they are much better and more responsive to new game releases.
 
I agree, Im gonna drop the ATI and go back to Geforce. Friggin people always trying to get me to change on now look..:) Geforce here I come:D
 
I never had any isues with ati gfcards I might be the one they call Neo :D
I play all games on max on my 22" (getting 24" soon)
 
I've had the 4850 since release and I keep hoping the next Cat will "fix" COD4. It never does. Microstutter, funky textures, and odd shimmering galore. Even AA on fences ala transparent textures looks wack compared to my old G80/G92 variants. :( So yeah, OP should give up on ATI if COD4's your game of choice like myself. I'd switch, but I'm tired of upgrading/sidegrading/configuring...at least for awhile.
 
Do you have paypal? Im gonna dump this car since the game I play most is Cod4 and all I can get is 45 frames.over 100fps with every other game. I ran out of ideas..
 
My hard drive was limiting my game play before. After getting a new hard drive with the same drivers and everything it ran fine. I'm using Vista 64bit with a 4870X2 and I haven't been having any issues with drivers.
 
Wait a sec your getting a totally playable and enjoyable experience of 45 FPS vs 100 FPS in others games, but what seems to be the problem..... I missed it :confused:
 
Time spent as a member means nothing. The above poster's been here for three years, but seems to think the OS flavor limits VRAM. :confused:

Has the OP tried reinstalling COD4 yet? What about limiting startup options in msconfig?

Ouch.

But yes, thats what I think. Vram is included in NT5s memory management. I've personally seen it happen twice. Way back in 2005 with a single 6800 Ultra and 4 gigs of system ram (at the time that was pretty wtf), XP 32.

And the other time wasnt taking Vram off the card but it wasnt allocating the proper amount of system ram to the graphics card.

But hey seeing as how your so condesending you must know better than me :\
 
Back
Top