• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dissapointed at my 2405

spiroh

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
383
I just got the screen today and connected it to my 6800 NU. I just tried playing CS at its native resolution and it seemed choppy. I even tried to lower the details to medium and also tried lower resolutions but still get the same outcome. Am I missing something?
 
does it seem like the game is stuttering? Im having the same issue I thought it was my gf4 card and not the screen...now Im wondering if its the screen. Im playing at 16:10 in a window mode
 
Yeah thats exactly what it feels like. You move the mouse abit and you see the video move with it as blocks.
 
Don't blame the panel. Had you done your homework you would have known that your video card was going to struggle at 1920x1200 with *many* games. I have the 6800nu and I play HL2 at 1152X864 lines of resolution (3.0 ghz processor),
 
Greenwit said:
Don't blame the panel. Had you done your homework you would have known that your video card was going to struggle at 1920x1200 with *many* games. I have the 6800nu and I play HL2 at 1152X864 lines of resolution (3.0 ghz processor),
Let me connect my 7800GTX real quick. I'll be back in 15min. PLus I tried lower resolutions as well.
 
Why the hell didn't you connect it to your 7800GTX in the first place, lol?! (assuming you weren't being sarcastic about the GTX).
 
are u using the dvi output on your card? btw playing at resolutions that high that a vanilla 6800 isnt going to yield good frames anyways
 
I didnt use the 7800GTX because I let my brother use it since his card is getting RMAd. He does more gaming than me so I was using my 2.8 P4 with 6800NU. Anyways, I installed the 7800GTX on my 4400+ AMD and tried the 1152 resolution playing far cry and although it isnt as bad I can still see the choppiness a bit.
 
osirus35 said:
are u using the dvi output on your card? btw playing at resolutions that high that a vanilla 6800 isnt going to yield good frames anyways
Yup, using DVI output.
 
There are probably alot of video options in game and you just need to ratchet down one or two of them. I suggest you look at the games forum here and the official game forums for help. I'm sure there's lots of info there on frame rates and you'll probably be able to fix things easily once you discover the key options to change.
 
spiroh said:
I didnt use the 7800GTX because I let my brother use it since his card is getting RMAd. He does more gaming than me so I was using my 2.8 P4 with 6800NU. Anyways, I installed the 7800GTX on my 4400+ AMD and tried the 1152 resolution playing far cry and although it isnt as bad I can still see the choppiness a bit.

dude.. my brother would have got the 6800NU anyways. lol. It's not the monitor though.. I play all my games on the 2405 at the native res (except bf2 at 1600x1200) with no probs at all.
 
Well, you could also try measuring the actual frame rate while gaming to see if you're getting high frames wtih just some hitches every so often, or if the frame rate is actually consistently low.
 
runbird05 said:
Well, you could also try measuring the actual frame rate while gaming to see if you're getting high frames wtih just some hitches every so often, or if the frame rate is actually consistently low.
The frame rate with the 7800 ranges from 120-300fps.
 
bio,

Thanks man that did the trick. I guess what I was experiencing is screen tearing and aside from vsync and buffering there isnt much we can do. How do I enable triple buffering?
 
The new beta drivers from NVIDIA have the option to force triple buffering.
 
Greenwit said:
There are probably alot of video options in game and you just need to ratchet down one or two of them. I suggest you look at the games forum here and the official game forums for help. I'm sure there's lots of info there on frame rates and you'll probably be able to fix things easily once you discover the key options to change.
I know the problem is already solved and all, but come on a 7800GTX could (most likely) handle ANYTHING you threw at it with every setting maxed out. At least I assume this is true because you can max out any game on lesser cards like my AGP X800XT granted that's at 1600 x 1200 not 1900 x 1200, but I am still very confident the 7800 could do it easily.
 
zutme said:
I know the problem is already solved and all, but come on a 7800GTX could (most likely) handle ANYTHING you threw at it with every setting maxed out. At least I assume this is true because you can max out any game on lesser cards like my AGP X800XT granted that's at 1600 x 1200 not 1900 x 1200, but I am still very confident the 7800 could do it easily.

The 2405 has almost 20% more pixels than a 1600 X 120 monitor. That's a boatload of pixels. I wouldn't even consider a 2405 unless I had a bada$$ vid card.
 
FPS was not the prolem here. It was screen tearing which is a well known problem, especially with LCD screens. It's most noticeable playing CS Source than the other games I tried. Turning on vsync and triple buffering helped a lot though.
 
Looks like my screen makes a noticeable whine when I minimize windows.
 
n/m didn't read the entire thread. How do you enable triple buffering and what does it do? I never use v-sync because it makes things choppy for me due to how it works but I don't think I've ever used triple buffering. I wouldn't mind getting rid of these screen tears.
 
peacetilence said:
n/m didn't read the entire thread. How do you enable triple buffering and what does it do? I never use v-sync because it makes things choppy for me due to how it works but I don't think I've ever used triple buffering. I wouldn't mind getting rid of these screen tears.



ditto
 
Just download the latest NVIDIA beta drivers and it has an option to force triple-buffering under advanced.
 
OK the drivers that have triple-buffering are 77.76. I dled 77.77 from guru3d but it did not have an option for triple-buffering.
 
That Triple buffering option is OpenGl Only, it does absolutely nothing for CSS. This issue with CSS frusterates me to no end with my new 2005 had it about 2 weeks, and i've tried everything imaginable to fix it. And i've come to the conclusion that you have 4 options.

1. Live with it.
2. Turn on Vsync and deal with choppy frame rates.
3. Buy a 7800 GTX and use Vsync, this shouldent be choppy because a 7800 should be able to keep you above/at 60 FPS at all times.
4. Lower the resolution to 1440x900 and enable Triple buffering. This will allow constant 60+ fps performance so Vsync does not bother you.

Direct X games must have Triple buffering enabled in the software to work, driver level support will not do it. It's unfortuante and highly annoying.

WoW runs absolutly gorgeous, fast frame rates, and no tearing whatsoever, it has Vsync and Triple buffering support though.

For you spiroh, a 7800 is fast enough that you wouldent notice the choppy effects generated by Vsync anyways, as it would be a non issue. Though it would suck on a 6800GT or less.
 
The 6800 NU is going to lag like hell at high resolutions because of the slower ram that it uses. Yes, I know from experance, I had a 6800 nu SLI rig, anything over 1280x1024 it was choking. But the 7800GTX is a high resolution card if there was ever one, it is only limited by your imagination...or well your CPU and maybe your wallet.
 
I play HL2 CS at 1920x1200 on my PC P4 2.6ghz 1GB Ram, 6600GT 128MB and it runs fine on my 2405. /shrug
 
2405FPW and a GTX are like peanut butter and jelly. :D mmmmm.... damn as if I didn't want to leave work enough already!

If you're not happy with it then, you'll have to return the monitor.

edit: and the triple buffering is unfortunate.... look at H's line graphs over time. Every time it dips below 60, thats going to be 30fps with vsync and a game that doesn't support triple buffering. I didn't know it was just OpenGL, I figured peeps just assumed because of ATi. I just though "forcing" might not always work but it might try. If it really is impossible in DX always without game support, well that saddens me. :( You can't keep a game like BF2 above 60fps all the time. Really guys, I have a new appreciation for graphs like H's for this. It's not a knock on the GTX, G-cards framerates are all over the place. Always above 60 is a pipe dream, or you'd have to lower graphics way beyond what you want with a GTX.
 
7800 should stay above 60 for most older stuff, Doom and HL, but BF2 is a whole nother story. And it does suck about triple buffering, ATI's is also OpenGl Only from what im told. I suppose as more people get LCD's the demand for triple buffering support will go up.
 
ill play css at 40ms refresh, 12 fps, 640 480 resolution on a 12 inch notebook with integrated graphics using track pad and still kick your butt.
 
Back
Top