Displayport to VGA adapter for 27" 1440p monitor

Talon

2[H]4U
I'm trying to hook up my work laptop to one of my Monoprice Zero-G 27" monitors for easy switching between the laptop and my desktop.

The monitor has two inputs, a dual-link DVI and a VGA. With the DVI taken up by my desktop, that leaves me with the VGA.

My laptop only has standard Displayport video output ports. Is there a decently priced adapter than can convert the DP to VGA and let me run the monitor at the native resolution of 2560x1440? Would I need a powered adapter?

There seems to be hundreds of DP to VGA adapters on newegg, amazon, etc, but most seem to be resolution limited to around 1080p. Is this from the technology itself, or just the lower end adapters?

This is limited by VGA from my experience, at least. I could not get the full 1440p on my Dell 27" from an Asus laptop using the VGA output, until my DP cable came in. The cable seems to support up to 2048x1536px @85 Hz (388 MHz), and rarely 2560x1920 @63 Hz.

I've read that the max res is 2048 x 1536. But I think your image quality is going to be pretty shitty since d-sub cables use analog and not digital transmission. Maybe you can get a $100 VGA cable LOL, it will actually make a difference if it's built well. (as opposed to $100 HDMI vs $10 HDMI cables which make no difference whatsoever).

edit: geok1ng is correct, post amended \( ゚◡゚)/

The cheapest option is to use your desktop's VGA output and an active DP to DVI dual-link adapter/cable for your laptop. This will cost ~100USD. Note that the quality won't be great for VGA at that resolution, but it would be functional. A good cable does help.

To avoid having to use VGA with your desktop you can toss in a dual-link DVI switch. Since DVI's been around for a while your best option is to look for a used switch, but it will still cost another 100ish. Also there are also EDID passing issues depending on the switch and graphics drivers. At this point you may be better off replacing your monitor or adding a second.

Regarding DP to VGA, is also an active conversion process and I wouldn't expect any of the adapters to work for that resolution, nor one that does to cost less.

Last edited:
for 1440p resolution is necessary an ACTIVE displayport to Dual link DVI adaptor. i do not know of ANy passive displayport > dual link dvi adaptor. this the safe and high quality solution. VGA and 1440p do not work well together.

Yeah dude, if you could find a DisplayPort -> VGA adapter with the bandwidth and proper filtering to drive 1440p at 60fps with a clear image, there's a bunch of guys in the FW900 thread who would love to have a word with you! Unfortunately, native VGA from discrete video cards is on it's way out the door, so driving high-end CRTs is going to be a similar pain.

It's not likely. This is why people pay extra for more expensive 1440p monitors with multiple input options, and other features. One of the key reasons the Korean monitors are so cheap and so low-lag is because they are so simple. And you have to pay mountains more to add-in third-party devices that restore those missing feature.

Hell, even I made sure my recent $150 1080p monitor has 2 digital inputs + VGA. Who the hell knows what I'll want to connect to it tomorrow :D

Back