Displayport > HDMI adapter

Nicholars

Gawd
Hello, I am looking at a monitor which only has a HDMI port, the HDMI on my GTX970 is already used for the TV, so I have 2 DVI and one Displayport free, what is the best way to connect to the HDMI on the monitor? I read that if the graphics card supports Displayport++ then you can use a simple passive HDMI > Displayport adapter and connect it this way?

So if I buy a HDMI monitor and a passive Displayport > HDMI adapter then plug the HDMI cable into the adapter > HDMI port on monitor, will this work? Or if not would a DVI > HDMI adapter work? Anyone done this already and can confirm it definitely will work?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ah ok so if I just use a passive DVI > HDMI cable or adapter this will definitely work with no limitations / problems?

Ah ok so if I just use a passive DVI > HDMI cable or adapter this will definitely work with no limitations / problems?

Assuming its a TV that is 1920x1080@60Hz this is probably the cheapest/best/easiest thing to do.

If you are running 2560x1440 or 4k then you would need to use a DP -> HDMI adapter.

Yes.

Nvidia cards even detect when an HDMI monitor is used and can stream HDMI audio out the DVI ports if you need it.

If it's a 1920x1080 60Hz monitor, just make sure you're using 347.09+ drivers with 0-255 set, otherwise you get the restricted color space bug. -This isn't specifically an adapter thing, it applied to all HDMI and DP connections, if you haven't heard about the bug, and since Nvidia treats a DVI-to-HDMI adapter as an HDMI connection (as mentioned above) it applies there as well.

Yeh thanks for reply, the only reason I am even considering a HDMI only monitor is since nvidia fixed that bug which should have been fixed a long time ago, I know you can fix it with a downloaded app but at least nvidia finally did something about it.

The only time I've needed to use an active displayport adapter is when I was using 3 monitors on my 7950. If you're buying a new adapter, the DVI to hdmi will work fine but they're about the same price as a displayport to hdmi anyways.

Back