DisplayFusion Pro Vs. UltraMon?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Which do you guys like better and why?

I've been using UltraMon for years... but with Vista x64 it seems that it does not remember windows properly, or windows will get "stuck" and always open on 2ndary monitor when you want them to open on the main. Especially normally windows folders.

DisplayFusion seems pretty neat... looks like they are developing it pretty actively too.

I use ultramon always have. Never used display fusion.

I use ultramon with vista x64 with no problems im running ultramon 3.0.4 beta

I'm the opposite of jratzo. I've been using DisplayFusion Pro since I bought my second mon, and never tried Ultramon. Definitely recommend DisplayFusion. I've had zero problems. There are two features in DF that I really like. The wallpaper alignment fine tuning to compensate for bezel width, and the window snap feature that lets you snap windows from one mon to the other with a hot key (whether its same size window swap, or maximizing to the other screen). Ultramon may also have those features, but I tried DF first and liked it ever since.

I'm the opposite of jratzo. I've been using DisplayFusion Pro since I bought my second mon, and never tried Ultramon. Definitely recommend DisplayFusion. I've had zero problems. There are two features in DF that I really like. The wallpaper alignment fine tuning to compensate for bezel width, and the window snap feature that lets you snap windows from one mon to the other with a hot key (whether its same size window swap, or maximizing to the other screen). Ultramon may also have those features, but I tried DF first and liked it ever since.

Thanks your post gave me the push to go try it out. Ultramon development is real slow, I think it is just one guy doing it all. Still messes up with Firefox sometimes in terms of memory for which screen to open up by default.

Nice PC in your sig btw, I actually built a similar rig for a friend with almost EXACT same parts. :c)

The trial is free. You'll see all the features available once you try it. I will definitely buy it again when the need arises. I've had DF for a year now, and it always remembers the default mon for all my programs. Glad I was able to help. :)

Thanks, it was a fun build. I'm slowly modding and learning to oc this thing.

Also worth noting, support is good with DF. There have been regular updates with added functionality. The latest update added a new taskbar feature thats pretty neat.

I have been using DisplayFusion Pro for the past several days and LOVE it!

The interface is straight forward and clean like Digsby. Best of all, it remembers what screen to open particular explorer folders perfectly. On Ultramon it would just open ALL explorer windows on the last screen I had a explorer window open in. It annoyed the hell out of me and I would also have occasional firefox window memory issues. Also, if you UltraVNC/RDP in and log out it will adjust your wallpapers properly unlike UltraMon which would show half of the wallpaper.

All the issues I had with UltraMon are fixed with DisplayFusion. Plus UltraMon was slow as anything to make updates. I feel that DisplayFusion is a better polished product overall.

Thanks epicwolf! :c)

hmm, i think i might have to try out displayfusion. ultramon's behavior in vista x64 has been irritating the hell out of me.

This is kind of a thread hijack, but does anyone have experience using either of these on Windows 7?

I've been using DP with Win 7 as well (build 7000). No problems doing the same things when I run my normal Vista x64. I will say that I have not used Win 7 as much as I'd like because I have it installed on an old 150 Raptor, and hate to keep unplugging and plugging my HDs.

m0unds, the trial software is free:) If it doesnt work under your setup, you could always revert back.

Hah, I wrote a huge comparison post (or two) on this topic about a month ago... I ended up settling on DF even though it uses a bit more resources than UM. Despite that, I felt it was stabler (I dunno what I did but I managed to screw up an UM install badly on an XP rig and re-installing it wasn't fixing it, kinda soured me on UM); plus I was liking DF's features more before I even encountered problems w/UM. The built-in wallpaper handling stuff is much better than messing w/scripts on UM imo, the window snapping/resizing stuff is nice to have 'till Windows 7 too.

Jon (the DF dev) is also more active than UM's guy, and he's been working steadily on full Windows 7 support (so the taskbar looks the same as the new W7 taskbar, etc). The only real upside to UM is the fact that some of it's keyboard shortcuts might be better suited for people with more than two monitors, DF's shortcuts are perfect w/just two displays though... That and UM lets you customize program shortcuts w/regards to what display they open on and such but it just seemed like something I'd never mess with, rather just have stuff open properly on the display I last closed it.

Lemme see if I can find the thread I was alluding to... This was one and this one is sorta related too (the XP PowerToy ended up working perfectly on my netbook btw, though I had to resize my 16:10 wallpapers to the netbook's resolution as it wouldn't stretch them on the fly for some reason). Oh and this thread on Windows 7 message boards might be of interest too.

P.S. How do you like Digsby compared to Pidgin? I've been meaning to try it... Shied away from it at first when people said it wasn't as stable, I really don't need all the extra functionality (FB etc, I barely use my FB account), wondering if there's an upside to it besides that. Pidgin's kinda barebones, works, but still...

P.S. How do you like Digsby compared to Pidgin? I've been meaning to try it... Shied away from it at first when people said it wasn't as stable, I really don't need all the extra functionality (FB etc, I barely use my FB account), wondering if there's an upside to it besides that. Pidgin's kinda barebones, works, but still...

I was a die hard Pidgin user but I kept having random stability issues with it, whether it be XP or Vista x64. Patches would fix one thing and break another.

I've been using Digsby for past few months and LOVE IT. Even though I don't use half it's features it is hands down the BEST chat app I have ever used... and I've used Trillion, Miranda, Pidgin etc.

They are also FAST with development. Sometimes coming out with fixes with in hours.

Just wanted to jump in and throw some more support behind DisplayFusion. I shopped around between a few, including CineMastery and UltraMon, and settled on DisplayFusion. Testing 30 day trial of Pro but already have decided I'm going to purchase a license. Couldn't imagine not using it now :)

I've only used DF. I originally used the free version, but rather liked it and so I bought the Pro version, and it just works with no niggles at all.
Plus I have found that when I had a query on how to do something, I got an emailed reply quite quickly, and it was a helpful reply too, rather than just RTFM !.
I rarely pay to update a programme from the 'free' version, but for DF and MBAM I reckoned they were worth the small amount of money.

Tried both Ultramon and DF. The slow dev time on Ultramon convinced me to eventually buy DF Pro and I've had no issues since. It's awesome.

Haven't tried or ever heard of MultipleMonitors but it looks to have about the same feature set as DF Pro.

UltraMon is really lightweight and just works great. DisplayFusion used too much ram in my testing, and Actual Multiple Monitors was causing my game window to snap to edges of the screen which couldn't be turned off, as well as a bunch of other "features" I found useless.

DisplayFusion and Actual Multiple Monitors gives you a start menu on your second taskbar, as well as stuff like Aero Peek which UltraMon doesn't. In the end, UltraMon was the one that worked best for me; the most feature-rich/bloated application isn't indicative of it being the best one.

UltraMon is really lightweight and just works great. DisplayFusion used too much ram in my testing, and Actual Multiple Monitors was causing my game window to snap to edges of the screen which couldn't be turned off, as well as a bunch of other "features" I found useless.

DisplayFusion and Actual Multiple Monitors gives you a start menu on your second taskbar, as well as stuff like Aero Peek which UltraMon doesn't. In the end, UltraMon was the one that worked best for me; the most feature-rich/bloated application isn't indicative of it being the best one.

DisplayFusion usually uses 10MB-12MB for RAM for me. That is nothing especially when many people have 8-16GB RAM these days. Worthy sacrifice for an essential app. Plus DisplayFusion has more active development, features (you can easily disable what you don't need) and is $5 cheaper than UltraMon.

Back