Disk smart read error?

fatryan

[H]ard|Gawd
I happened upon Tron script on Reddit for cleaning/optimizing windows machines, so i decided to run it on my desktop machine in my signature. I did a trial run on my laptop, and it seemed to work well. When i ran it on my Win 10 desktop though, it ended saying that it found a disk smart read error. It didn't specify which drive and I'm not sure how to verify. I have (2) 500GB Samsung Evo SSDs (1 for Windows), (1) WD Blue 6TB HDD (plex media server), and WD Purple 10TB (surveillance [empty, not used yet]). Is there a way to tell which drive has the error? All are fairly new, with the WD Blue being only a couple months old (though it definitely gets used most often being the media server drive). I think i have Samsung RAPID mode configured on the SSDs, if that matters. Though I also have it configured on my laptop, and Tron didn't seem to have a problem with that.

I installed Samsung magician and the WD utility, and all drives came up good. Also ran Tron 2 more times since my OP, and i haven't seen the error again. Guess it was a fluke.

I installed Samsung magician and the WD utility, and all drives came up good. Also ran Tron 2 more times since my OP, and i haven't seen the error again. Guess it was a fluke.

These things happen, I had an SSD that was at 82% life -left, a lot worse then older SSD's I had, after using the company's own software it was "back" at 99%

These things happen, I had an SSD that was at 82% life -left, a lot worse then older SSD's I had, after using the company's own software it was "back" at 99%
Despite testing as good, my one SSD for Windows had half the sequential W/R speeds of the other and also lower overall W/R speeds. The drives are identical, same model, same capacity, same age (since install, manufacturer date might vary slightly). The OS drive actually had less total bytes written, despite testing notably worse. I turned on rapid mode in Samsung magician, so now it's obviously testing off the charts lol.

Could be different firmware, but it's also hard to get accurate results testing your OS drive from inside the OS. There's no telling what Windows is doing with that drive while you are running your test.

Could be different firmware, but it's also hard to get accurate results testing your OS drive from inside the OS. There's no telling what Windows is doing with that drive while you are running your test.
Good point. I bet MSI has some method for testing them in the BIOS.

Back