Disk Read Error :/

MastaFlyMason

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
375
About a month ago my computer started freezing and when I would restart it it would say: "Disk read error. Press Control + Alt + Delete to continue." When I would restart the computer it would boot back into Windows and be fine for a couple hours and then do it again. I tested my hard drives (primary and secondary) with HDTune and Seagate HDD Tools and neither of them had any errors. I decided to reformat my computer and the problem went away until yesterday. It is doing the same thing, but now my computer won't even boot into Windows. Could it possibly be a virus doing this? Or is my HDD just dying/dead? I am not really sure what to do next, I am stumped.

Thanks,

MastaFlyMason
 
First and foremost: Start backing up any critical data on the hard drive. I.e hook the drive up to another PC and copy over any files.

Second, recheck with the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test as well as Seagate tools on the hard drive inquestion.

Third, if you can reinstall the OS on another hard drive with the current/old drive uninstalled. If the issue still persists, than the mobo's storage controller might be dying.

Fourth, what PSU do you have?
 
My PSU is a OCZ StealthXStream 500 Watt which I have been using around 3 years. Everything important is on my backup drive, so I think I am okay there. I am going to test the drive first, then install 7 on a new drive. Should I take out my backup drive as well, or will it not cause problems since my operating system isn't installed on it?
 
Take out any drive attached to the PC except for the new one to rule out all possible factors.
 
Back
Top