Disk clone utility recommendation?

dbr1

Weaksauce
Looking for a utility to clone a fresh install of Windows 7.

There are many out there, some free which is preferable.

I am close to using Clonezilla, but wanted to see if I could get any opinions.

I use Acronis, and it works great.

Yes, I was looking at that, considering buying a 3 PC license for their new TruImage13 program.

Then I saw reviews of TruImage12 (on Amazon.com) and there are alot of very negative experiences reported which has given me pause. Negative experiences not necessarily with the disc cloning as much as the whole package.

I've used several versions of the TrueImage product, and it's been great.

Any comments why you like it?

I used Acronis TrueImage at my last job and I didn't have any issues with it. But I have not had any issues with Clonezilla either. Acronis would be easier to use just due to the fact that it has a more "wizard" like operation.

I'll second Clonezilla because the default 'beginner' settings are usually perfect enough for basic imaging tasks. It's also faster and compresses better than the built in windows imaging tool. When you're wanting to explore possibilities and get more advanced it has a ton of options/flexibility to achieve pretty much any imaging wish.

And agreed, free versions of Acronis get the job done too, with a 'prettier', slightly easier to use interface.

I use Clonezilla.

I too use Clonezilla. In fact, I just cloned a 60GB SSD to a 1TB HDD and it worked fine. Just remember to remove the original source drive when you boot... I had an ID collision or something like that and Win7 didn't like it.

Another vote for Macrium Free. Very reliable and fast. You will need to burn a Linux CD (the program offers to do that for you) to use as boot CD if you want to restore the OS partition.

Paragon is good when it works (it has several bugs, that have screwed enough people, including me) but it's much slower. The advantage is that it gives a recovery console (no CD needed), but i 've been there after an hour staring at the hang up console and it wasn't funny.

Back