Disgusting Computer Award

I work IT for a telecomunication company and it brings in a ton of work on the side since we have over 200 agents at any given time. This is one that a guy brought me one night because he couldn't get it to boot from the CD Rom.

http://imgur.com/MXVoWl.jpg
http://imgur.com/MVyos.jpg

Looks like someone spraypainted that dust on :eek:

The NB heatsink lying on the bottom of the case is a nice touch. I wonder how it got dislodged?

Looks like someone spraypainted that dust on :eek:

The NB heatsink lying on the bottom of the case is a nice touch. I wonder how it got dislodged?

My guess is because it was in the way of the CPU heatsink and was manually removed. It's a surprise that thing ever ran. I've run into boards that would freak out the moment the fan on the bridge spun about 5rpm slower.

I'm almost afraid to ask but after hearing all the horror stories in this thread...how the hell do cockroaches and rats get into computer cases to begin with?

I'm almost afraid to ask but after hearing all the horror stories in this thread...how the hell do cockroaches and rats get into computer cases to begin with?

I really don't know, and you prolly really don't either. ;)

The average case is like a sieve, with plenty of gaps for little critters and a snake or two to crawl in through. Apparently they're quite comfy places :)

I don't know about that but I do know that some service shops would refuse to accept the machines for work if they could tell in advance. We also told customers to pick up their machines when we'd open them and find them in that kind of shape. We'd quarantine them by wrapping them in plastic, then make them pick them up.

I have never seen a PC in that bad of shape. A lot of dust and hair maybe, but not that bad. I GUARANTEE I would deny service and charge them just for exposing me to that shit.

I really don't know, and you prolly really don't either. ;)

It's odd that someone would question how they get into a computer case, but not question how they got to the computer in the first place?

If you understand one, you'll understand the other. If you don't understand the one, you shouldn't know/understand the other, either?

Either way, I'd care more that I've obviously got a major pest problem in my house! Your computer isn't a black hole that all bugs are sucked into. It's only the tip of the iceberg of what's crawling behind your walls!

It's odd that someone would question how they get into a computer case, but not question how they got to the computer in the first place?

If you understand one, you'll understand the other. If you don't understand the one, you shouldn't know/understand the other, either?

Either way, I'd care more that I've obviously got a major pest problem in my house! Your computer isn't a black hole that all bugs are sucked into. It's only the tip of the iceberg of what's crawling behind your walls!

Eh, you can have a mouse or rat in your house without having pest problem, especially if you're living in the country.

Cockroaches are another story though. If you've seen one, there's probably thousands more under your kitchen cabinet.

It gives new meaning to someone who says his computer is buggy. :p

I've seen bugs crawl in fan openings and missing backplate covers. My kitten crawled into a case I was assembling through the hole where the power supply goes. I wish I still had a pic of it.

I've seen bugs crawl in fan openings and missing backplate covers. My kitten crawled into a case I was assembling through the hole where the power supply goes. I wish I still had a pic of it.

Luckily I've never encountered an insect coming into contact with a fan. Roaches tend to favor those SFF PCs with the emphasis on passive cooling with only 1 or 2 fans.

Wow that looks like a Fry's work bench, and that's just a daily thing you'd normally see, time to break out the latex gloves and get to work on that POS, I'd recommend some filters for the fans and the cigarettes that person smokes.

wow, thats actually nothing. Wait until you've worked at a PC repair shop with me. An 8 year old HP thats been smoked around for its entire 8 years, never cleaned, spider's nest, dead cockroaches and their eggs, enough dust to actually fill a plastic Walmart bag made me gag.

In fact we once left a client's PC in our shop for 2 days and we opened it, full of cockroach eggs and dead roaches, 4 days later we had to lace the place down with a couple of cans of Raid and roach traps. We eventually had to get the exterminator to come kill the bastards off.

Then there was that one pc that stank highly of cat urine, we come to find handfuls of cat hair jamming up the fans, and why did the PC break? Moisture contact. I'll leave the rest to you to figure out what the moisture was.

That is fucking disgusting. You win.

Eh, you can have a mouse or rat in your house without having pest problem, especially if you're living in the country.

Cockroaches are another story though. If you've seen one, there's probably thousands more under your kitchen cabinet.

FYI That's only true for certain types of cockroaches (generally German). The ones that freak most people out (medium to large) are outdoor roaches and if you see one, there's a good chance there only one.

Back